2010 S212 E500 AG - trying to make sense of the specs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Hi 212 owners.

I found a sales brochure and price list for my 212 and am trying to figure out what options the first owner added.

From what I can see a 2010 E500 Avantgarde had the following as standard;

Airmatic, Direct Steering, Intelligent Light System (bi-Xenon, cornering lights, Main Beam Assist), Parktronic, Mirror Pack, Powered Tailgate, Black Ash, Leather, Attention Assist, Luxury Climate, Ambient Lighting, gearchange paddles, column gear change, full LED rear lights.

What I read as being costed options are;

Privacy Glass £350 ( Love it - not to everyones taste)
Easy Pack Securing £245
Metallic Paint £630 (Tanzanite Blue - beautiful)
Wood/Leather wheel £525 (luxury - really love this)
Memory Pack £1175 (v useffu)
Vented seats £670 (handy)
Sun Pack £350 (kids love it)
Driving Assist Pack £2250 (inc Distronic, Lane Assist, Blinspot Assist)
Night View Assist £1175 (Night vision - love it)
Tyre Pressure Mon £285 (like this)
COMAND £2185 (inc HDD, Linguatronic)
Reversing Camera £375 (very handy)
Telephone Pre Wire £280 (101)

The questions I have are;

- Q1 How can I tell if it has the Multi-contour seats? It's got adjustable lumbar support anyway, but maybe they all do? It doesn't have adjustable bolsters though.

- Q2 It's got drilled vented discs at the front and MB logos on the calipers - they are listed under options as "Sports braking system" and standard on a Sport but I can't see a price to have them fitted to an Avantgarde. Unless they were part of the "Exterior Styling package which was made up of the brakes, "Sport rear apron body coloured with visible exhaust tip" and 18's. I've got chrome exhausts but it's on standard AG 17's. Puzzled

It's also go the chrome side strip along the lower doors which again is listed as standard on the Sport but not priced as an option on an Avantgarde. Hmmm.....

So I guess the question is; did the AG come with chrome exhausts & drilled vented brakes or not?

- Q3 - finally, how can I tell if I have Speed Limit Assist Plus? I assume I'd have seen it when scrolling through the options in the speedo. I haven't spotted it but I would be good to have it.

All in all it looks like it's got a pretty good spec for an Avantgarde. I'm coping with lack of sunroof as the interior is pale and therefore airy. A DAB radio would be nice to have but I can always add one. At some point I'll probably stick AMG 18's one but on the other had the ride is so pillowy - heart vs head.....

Anyway, if anyone can shed any light on any of my questions thanks in advance.

Easiest way would be to post up your VIN and then someone can reply with its datacard.

Easiest way would be to post up your VIN and then someone can reply with its datacard.

I've looked at the spec from the VIN already.

I was just trying to figure out which parts of the spec were standard and which were costed options.

At the end of the day it looks like it's an Avantgarde to which the owner added metallic paint, privacy, COMAND, Memory Pack, Driving Assist Pack, Night View Pack, Sun Pack and a few more toys.

It seems to have the Sports brakes and chrome side strop and may or may not have the Sport rear valance and exhausts. I suppose if I stuck 18's on it would have a virtual Exterior Styling Pack.

EDIT; no it wouldn't as it doesn't have the Sport skirts and spoiler. And the chrome strip WAS standard on the AG

I was just interested, that's all

Last edited:
Some attempts to answer below....

- Q1 How can I tell if it has the Multi-contour seats? It's got adjustable lumbar support anyway, but maybe they all do? It doesn't have adjustable bolsters though.

I have seen E-class coupes with the multi-contour seats and they have a little joystick control panel on the side of the seat next to the centre console. I.e. next to the driver's left knee and passenger's right knee.

- Q2 It's got drilled vented discs at the front and MB logos on the calipers - they are listed under options as "Sports braking system" and standard on a Sport but I can't see a price to have them fitted to an Avantgarde. Unless they were part of the "Exterior Styling package which was made up of the brakes, "Sport rear apron body coloured with visible exhaust tip" and 18's. I've got chrome exhausts but it's on standard AG 17's. Puzzled

It's also go the chrome side strip along the lower doors which again is listed as standard on the Sport but not priced as an option on an Avantgarde. Hmmm.....

So I guess the question is; did the AG come with chrome exhausts & drilled vented brakes or not?

I am fairly sure the AG trim did not come with the big exhausts and Sport brakes. Could it be that the E500 model had the larger brakes regardless of trim level, because it needs the extra stopping power? It's designed to travel so easily at speeds above 100mph (105mph is reached at only 2500rpm; the 155mph limiter is hit at 3750rpm!) it makes sense it should have the larger brakes regardless of trim, given the number of German customers buying them for Autobahn use.

Not sure about the exhaust: maybe it was also an E500 standard item to signify the larger engine? But of course most E-class from 2011 on have these anyway, so it no longer looks special even if that was the original intention. The BMW 550i also had a similar large chrome twin exhaust; the only 5-series to do so.

Mine is a Sport so has the front spoiler, side skirts, chrome twin exhausts and rear valance, though oddly the valance is only black plastic, not body coloured.

- Q3 - finally, how can I tell if I have Speed Limit Assist Plus? I assume I'd have seen it when scrolling through the options in the speedo. I haven't spotted it but I would be good to have it.

I am not sure about that - was it not a separate option due to the need for (another) forward-facing sensor?

All in all it looks like it's got a pretty good spec for an Avantgarde. I'm coping with lack of sunroof as the interior is pale and therefore airy. A DAB radio would be nice to have but I can always add one. At some point I'll probably stick AMG 18's one but on the other had the ride is so pillowy - heart vs head.....

Nice spec you have! I have less toys on mine, but do have pan roof (much needed with the black on black on black interior), luxury pack, metallic paint, full Comand, tyre pressure monitor, garage door opener (no use to me) and (oddly) a factory folding towbar.

Regarding 18" wheels, mine has them (part of the Sport trim) and whilst they look nice they do make a bit of tyre roar at motorway speeds, which intrudes a little on the otherwise silent interior. I had even considered trying some 17s to see if its quieter, but I think it would look a bit odd to have the Sport exterior with the smaller wheels so will stick with the 18s.

Some attempts to answer below....
I have seen E-class coupes with the multi-contour seats and they have a little joystick control panel on the side of the seat next to the centre console. I.e. next to the driver's left knee and passenger's right knee.

Thanks - I'll have a look (think I'd have spotted them by now, though, if they were there.

Could it be that the E500 model had the larger brakes regardless of trim level, because it needs the extra stopping power?

Yes, that may well explain it

It's designed to travel so easily at speeds above 100mph (105mph is reached at only 2500rpm; the 155mph limiter is hit at 3750rpm!)

That's a great stat :)

Not sure about the exhaust: maybe it was also an E500 standard item to signify the larger engine?

Could be

Mine is a Sport so has the front spoiler, side skirts, chrome twin exhausts and rear valance, though oddly the valance is only black plastic, not body coloured.

Bizzare. My valance is body coloured.

Nice spec you have! I have less toys on mine, but do have pan roof (much needed with the black on black on black interior), luxury pack, metallic paint, full Comand, tyre pressure monitor, garage door opener (no use to me) and (oddly) a factory folding towbar.

That's also a high spec - the Luxury pack + pano cost a ton if I'm reading the price book right. Tow bar great for people with bike carriers
Regarding 18" wheels, mine has them (part of the Sport trim) and whilst they look nice they do make a bit of tyre roar at motorway speeds, which intrudes a little on the otherwise silent interior. I had even considered trying some 17s to see if its quieter, but I think it would look a bit odd to have the Sport exterior with the smaller wheels so will stick with the 18s.

I'd stick with the 18's. My 17's look a bit lost from some angles and that's without the body kit.

I sometimes find my self feeling slightly irritated when I see them walking up to the car then marvelling at the ride when I drive off.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom