2010 vs 2011 E63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Technoholic

Car
CLS 350 SB, TVR Tuscan
Hi all

Newbie here, newbie petrolhead I should say.

I’m looking for some advice as I’m seriously considering swapping out my ageing daily X5 with an E63 estate. Yes, many people say I’m mad and I may well be but that’s why I’m coming here to gain the expert community knowledge based on my circumstances. I do also drive a TVR Tuscan so I probably am crazy.

so, currently in a 2011 X5, I pretty much hate it. Not SUVs in general, just that car. Nevertheless it suits my space needs for the family and it scratched an itch, but that itch is over now.

At the moment, I generally work at home most of the time, odd trip to clients etc, plus maybe twice a year I drive to Northern Germany to visit family. I also want to be able to traverse the continent without too much hassle if I fancy it.

Right now then, fuel economy isn’t my biggest concern.

im really considering one of these E63s, it’s a bucket list car of mine and while I’ve had a lot of cars, none were like these.

My questions are

1. 6.2 or 5.5 turbo? I’ve heard the 5.5 is the one to go for but I don’t know why, plus I have always wanted a big NA V8 so that would lean me towards the earlier ones.

2. I know the running costs of these cars are going to be higher than the average euro box, not including fuel, I’m ok with what I’ve read about servicing costs and tyres etc, but what I really want to know about is potential for those big unexpected bills. What big things go wrong (that can’t be easily fixed by me on my driveway) that cost a fortune and are they preventable?

3. If going for 6.2 then should I go for the latest year I can find? My budget isn’t massive for the initial purchase but I can stretch if I have to or wait until the right one comes up possibly.

4. Strangely quite important for me, is there the ability with the infotainment system to add a CarPlay box to these cars, like I’ve done with recent older cars I’ve had?

Basically, any other things I should be looking for in terms of spec or specific maintenance carried out etc?

Thanks very much for your help, I’m sure I’ll have more questions soon!

Welcome to the forum:thumb:

Try and have a drive in both models as the engines perform very differently. I went for the later 5.5 Biturbo and don't regret it for one moment.
There will be others pushing you toward the 6.2 n/a and again, a great car you won't be disappoined with.

I'm sure Carplay can be added to my 2014 E63 but I can't say about the earlier models. Estates are in short supply for both 6.2 and 5.5 so don't be too particular with your wish list of options when you find one.

BTW I share your dislike of the X5. Had one as a loaner and couldn't wait to hand it back.

Thanks for that, I know it’s very subjective based on a particular car but is there any guide price I should be aiming for, I guess for a 2010 6.2 to start with?

Mmmm another member has one around that age and can probably assist with pricing. (And he'll push you toward the 6.2n/a:D)
I was looking for 2014 or later when I bought mine and those are £25k+ currently for a saloon. The estate commands a higher price.

All I'd say is buy the newest you can afford and buy on condition and service history which are vital with either model.

Car play option here. I've asked Santa for one ...

Mmmm another member has one around that age and can probably assist with pricing. (And he'll push you toward the 6.2n/a:D)
I was looking for 2014 or later when I bought mine and those are £25k+ currently for a saloon. The estate commands a higher price.

All I'd say is buy the newest you can afford and buy on condition and service history which are vital with either model.

part of me is thinking, having not had either before, the draw of a huge NA v8, probably the last of its kind in this kind of car, is something I don’t want to miss. Not ruling out the 5.5 yet though.

The M156 is the first automobile V8 engine designed autonomously by Mercedes-Benz subsidiary Mercedes-AMG, as previous AMG engines have always been based on original Mercedes engines. The engine was designed to be a naturally aspirated racing unit, and is also used in a number of high-performance AMG-badged Mercedes-Benz models.

Only one of these two engines has won multiple engine of the year awards, enjoy the epic m156.

Although mine's older, I'm more than happy with the M156 engine in my E63. :) You probably already know that the two weaknesses of that engine are head bolts and cams/followers. A car of the age you're looking at won't be affected by the head bolt issue, but I'm not sure if anything was done to resolve the cam problems - probably worth looking into. As others have said, it's a different drive to a turbo'd or supercharged engine, so trying both is probably the best way to decide which to buy.

Something else I’d suggest is familiarising yourself with the standard spec on these cars. Standard spec is pretty high (and there are subtle changes through the model years), but some options really do improve the car and make it more desirable. Many adverts go to great lengths to emphasis the “extensive spec” so as to encourage people to buy, but often all they are doing is describing a standard car at a premium price.

If you’re looking for a car with particular options then it’s worth seeking out one of the ex-MBUK cars around that really are “fully loaded”. Despite having a raft of options that cost up to £30k when new, these cars rarely command more than a modest premium over a poverty-spec example.

Something else I’d suggest is familiarising yourself with the standard spec on these cars. Standard spec is pretty high (and there are subtle changes through the model years), but some options really do improve the car and make it more desirable. Many adverts go to great lengths to emphasis the “extensive spec” so as to encourage people to buy, but often all they are doing is describing a standard car at a premium price.

If you’re looking for a car with particular options then it’s worth seeking out one of the ex-MBUK cars around that really are “fully loaded”. Despite having a raft of options that cost up to £30k when new, these cars rarely command more than a modest premium over a poverty-spec example.
Yeah that’s something I’m aware of. That one above for example potentially looks like basic spec for an E63 but I’ve asked them for the reg so I can do a build sheet lookup, just to get a good idea.

are there any must have extras that are worth trying to seek out if I was able to?

are there any must have extras that are worth trying to seek out if I was able to?
Ultimately that's down to personal preference, but ones that I wouldn't have liked to be without are:
  • Limited Slip Diff (either the factory one - code 471 - or Quaife / WaveTrac)
  • Reversing (or, better, 360-degree) Camera
  • Driving Assistance Package (Distronic Plus, Blind Spot Assist, Lane Departure Assist)
  • Dynamic Multi-Contour Seats

Thanks, those sound like sensible things to look for. Was heated steering wheel an option? I know it’s a silly thing but since I’ve had one it’s something I really love!

That one above for example potentially looks like basic spec for an E63 but I’ve asked them for the reg so I can do a build sheet lookup, just to get a good idea.
The only visible options I can see on it are:
  • Interior Carbon Fibre
  • Multi-Contour Seats (not Dynamic)
  • Privacy Glass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom