2010 W204 220CDI Front Torque Struts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linksdale

Car
C220 CDI Blueffiency Estate
Hello - Recent MB free visual health check revealed a couple of problems. Could I ask if prices quoted for repairs are sensible?

1. Torque strut bushes split Torque strut arms come with the bushes and ball joints attached so the repair of both sides would be £820.80
This is about 3 hours work as it includes a wheel alignment.
2. Rear brake pads are worn to 3mm, replace immediately, £224.80, this is an hour to do.

Thanks in advance for any guidance offered.

Thankyou mioba, you were spot on. Just received local garage quote at £480 all in.

An hour to change rear brake pads?

That seems excessive.

An hour to change rear brake pads?

That seems excessive.
They’ll often quote a minimum one hour labour for any small job. Whether it’s fair to break down a number of requested bits of work into individual items and then say it’s a minimum hour for each item, well, I wouldn’t put it past them…

They’ll often quote a minimum one hour labour for any small job. Whether it’s fair to break down a number of requested bits of work into individual items and then say it’s a minimum hour for each item, well, I wouldn’t put it past them…
I can change brake pads in around 30 minutes on our E Class using a trolley jack and axle stands 🤔

I need to charge myself more 🤣

I've experienced this approach from a main dealer (not MB) whilst obtaining quotes for a relative.

Car reqd job A to be done, part of which involved removal of the auxiliary drive belt. I asked them to renew the belt at same time - yes okay, another 1 hours labour (or thereabouts) to change the belt.

The fact that it was already part of Job A seemed immaterial and despite talking it through it was a case of 'sorry, that's what the system says'.

A well-respected old-school local garage, before being asked, suggested changing the belt at the same time, with the only additional cost being for the belt. Common sense, but not applied everywhere.

£1044 to change two front control arms and rear brake pads. If I remember rightly that's removing 8 bolts in total.. That's some profit margin they work on!!
Wow!! Maybe I should start up a Merc main dealer franchise.. I could do with a new super Yacht and a small island..

Erm yes don't go there..

£1044 to change two front control arms and rear brake pads. If I remember rightly that's removing 8 bolts in total.. That's some profit margin they work on!!
Wow!! Maybe I should start up a Merc main dealer franchise.. I could do with a new super Yacht and a small island..

Erm yes don't go there..
Yes , but don't forget the coffee and biscuit they will serve you and your car might get 'washed' with a grit filled rag at the same time.

Worth every penny ....:banana:

Thankyou all, lots of common sense as usual. I dropped the car off at 0815 this morning and got the call to collect at 1300. Invoice shows total of 4.5hrs labour, 2 x suspension arms, rear pads + sensor, giving bottom line, including vat, of £486.48. I am very pleased more so as I trust this garage implicitly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom