2010 W204 iPhone fun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thesohogeek

Car
C Class estate (W204 2010 blueefficiency sport)
So I'm detailing here my personal experiences with making stuff work (that you might expect would be supported anyway but isn't)... so here's the starting point:

1 x 12V socket in glovebox. 1 x mini jack stereo socket in glovebox (looks like a rivet!). 1 x iPhone 6S (but should apply to any iPhone of recent(ish) vintage.

Object: to use sounds and phone in the car handsfree where possible.

Telephony:

Choose TEL, pair the phone and realise that the phone book (receive business card) option is useless as MB decided to read the phone's SIM and iPhones don't store their contacts on the SIM card. So get your close friends/colleagues to call you and try and spot their number in the incoming call phone list in order to call them back (oh really?) or... dump your contact list on to an old non Apple phone that lets you save to SIUM and then pair that with the MB to get your phone list across. Honestly, you couldn't make this up. Nice one Stuttgart :-(

Anyone got any better solutions?

Audio:

Buy yourself a Bluetooth USB receiver (here's the one I use: eBay item
273223369591). This sits in the glovebox and is paired with the iPhone. Amazingly it will connect via Bluetooth to this device (BT receiver) and the car at the same time so telephony still works.

Gain is low, but this is the fault of the MB aux input. (To get this going you have to select DISC on the dashboard and then the AUX in option is hidden on the bottom left menu somewhere. (But once selected the car remembers this for DISC until/unless you stuff a CD in the slot and break everything!). I'm currently looking into a small in-line audio amp to fix this and will post if I find a simple cost-effective solution. Until then I'm getting used to being deafened when I choose another source.

Again, I'm interested in all feedback re the above. The idea here is to avoid expensive rip-off MB dealership "accessories" for what should have been bog standard on a 2010 LADA let alone an MB. Harrumph!

You can stream music via Bluetooth, well- I could in my old C200 prefacelift

I don’t even know if I have any contacts on my sim these days but the names always came up on the screen when a call came through

Audio level is quite poor, I believe there’s a booster you can get

Also I used a small DAB dongle in the glovebox connected to the USB for permanent power, plugged into the aux. My audio unit in the GB also had iPhone wires coming out of it (old connector)

Not sure if that would produce audibly better results with the sound system fitted to my vehicle, which is adequate rather than audiophile to start with! I was surprised how good the cheap one is. For me the top issue is the lack of gain on the MB AUX socket, for which I have not yet found a simple, cheap solution. How did they manage to set the sensitivity of this so wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom