2010 W207 E350 Cabriolet - Fuel pump location

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnhward

Car
2010 E350 Cabriolet
I am hearing a low volume ticking/rattle noise when idling and it seems to be coming from the rear end of the vehicle - if I put my ear against the rear body panels then it is loudest
Any idea what the noise could be - could it be the fuel pump maybe and where is the fuel pump located - the noise is loudest around the area of the fuel filler cap

I am hearing a low volume ticking/rattle noise when idling and it seems to be coming from the rear end of the vehicle - if I put my ear against the rear body panels then it is loudest
Any idea what the noise could be - could it be the fuel pump maybe and where is the fuel pump located - the noise is loudest around the area of the fuel filler cap
There is an electrically operated shut off valve associated with the fuel evaporative charcoal canister in that area- perhaps that's what you are hearing? It may be hidden behind the wheel arch liner

Your A207 is based on the W204 and therefore the fuel pump should be incorporated into the fuel tank under the rear bench (or perhaps access might be via the boot on the cabrio?) .

There is an electrically operated shut off valve associated with the fuel evaporative charcoal canister in that area- perhaps that's what you are hearing? It may be hidden behind the wheel arch liner
Thanks - what is the fuel evaporative charcoal canister

I haven’t stripped anything but the noise is coming from that area and if I sit in the back (Cabriolet) then I can hear it behind the seat towards the filler cap area
The noise is not very loud but a steady sort of rattle which is not there on startup but comes on a little later and then goes off again and this goes on as long as it is on idle
Can the solenoid make that kind of noise or are there some other mechanical parts in the area.

I haven’t stripped anything but the noise is coming from that area and if I sit in the back (Cabriolet) then I can hear it behind the seat towards the filler cap area
The noise is not very loud but a steady sort of rattle which is not there on startup but comes on a little later and then goes off again and this goes on as long as it is on idle
Can the solenoid make that kind of noise or are there some other mechanical parts in the area.
May be totally unrelated but many years ago I experienced a similar noise from near the back on a BMW 520i. It turned out to be the fuel pump working too hard after the fuel filter had been replaced the wrong way round. Once back the right way, the noise disappeared. (It was a main BMW dealership that got it wrong!)

The noise is coming from that area
After startup and about two and a half minutes, there is a should like compressed air escaping then the noise starts and gets slowly louder and then stops
Right after the sound of air escaping the engine revs increase for a short while
As far as I can see there aren’t any components in that area that can make th3 noise I am hearing
Strange though, what I did pick is that if I open the fuel filler cap then there is no noise whatsoever and if I replace it the noise is back
I don’t suppose it can be an echo through the vacuum pipe from the purge solenoid in the engine bay
Mine is a right hand drive model

Apologies for reviving an older thread, but I am experiencing exactly the same issue, including the fact that the noise stops as soon as the petrol cap is removed, and it recommences as soon as the cap is refitted. It would be great to know what the fix for this is, thank you !

I have the same problem. The sound disappears when the fuel tank cap is opened. The car currently has 49,000 miles.
A207 E350 CGI with engine 272.984

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom