2011- CLS350 Vs. CLS63 AMG Depreciation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave-sw

Car
Lexus IS200
I would be interested to know how I can expect these two models to depreciate.

The CLS350 will clearly appeal to a lot more buyers and there are a lot of them out there, so higher demand and higher supply.

The CLS63 AMG is much more niche but there are are fewer out there, so lower demand and lower supply.

Can I expect them to depreciate at approximately the same rate or will one depreciate in value much quicker than the other?

Thanks

If the CLS350 is a diesel it will be more desirable to a larger audience and it's relative depreciation will reflect this.

Ain't no driving comparison though, if you're considering buying one or the other :thumb:.

Are you comparing the same age cars too?

Because even without checking there'll be a big difference in initial purchase prices, no?

I did say 2011- in the subject but should have made clear in description...

Imo and from my limited research I did

the CLS63 comands a higher price and come resell you'll get rinsed as they are selling for 10k roughly over book.

So at the end of the day it's your shout and depends how long you want to keep the car.

I change cars quite often so for me resell price was a very important and thats why I wnt E63 instead. Not that it's much better but better than the CLS63.

the CLS63 comands a higher price and come resell you'll get rinsed as they are selling for 10k roughly over book.

Thanks for the reply but not entirely sure what you mean with this sentence?

By rinsed you mean it loses value faster? But then it's 10k above book price?

He means that because they're selling at a premium of around £10k over the "book" price, and when you come to trade it in you'll be offered no more than the normal Trade price for it, you'll take a big (pseudo) depreciation hit.

the trade price they pay is the same for a CLS63 AMG as a CLS350?

I have never traded in, always sold privately .

I did say 2011- in the subject but should have made clear in description...

To be blunt, it's a very hard question; both are aimed at different markets, both have different purchase costs (the AMG probably £40k more when new) so they both will depreciate at different points.

There's simply too many variables to be able to give any true answer, the only data to look at really is how the W219 CDI is doing versus the W219 AMG.

You can buy a CLS350 on an 11 plate with 30k miles for £21k.

You can buy a CLS63 on an 11 plate with 30k miles for £42k.

I would expect them both to loose around 40% over the next 3 years and 35k miles.

So the 350 will depreciate around £8k over the next 3 years and the 63 will depreciate around £17k.

The 350 will cost you around £5000 in fuel, the 63 will cost you around £10000.

The 350 will cost you around £2000 in servicing, tyres and brakes etc. while the 63 will cost you around £4000.

£15k or £416 a month to run the 350 or £31k for the 63 or £860 a month.

So depends how you look at it, depreciation in percentage terms tells you **** all, the lowest depreciating new car in the UK last year at 61% retained value was the V8 FF Range Rover, however, 39% of £100,000 is still £40k, you could buy a nice 2 year old one £40k.

So depends how you look at it, depreciation in percentage terms tells you **** all, the lowest depreciating new car in the UK last year at 61% retained value was the V8 FF Range Rover, however, 39% of £100,000 is still £40k, you could buy a nice 2 year old one £40k.
And that's the bit most people ignore. A small Citroen may have high depreciation in %age terms, but I'd rather suffer a depreciation charge of 70% on £10k than 60% on a £35k MB.

The other thing they tend to ignore is that options rarely affect the used price significantly, so the initial depreciation on a fully optioned car is absolutely massive but it drops back to a more "normal" rate from year 2 or 3.

Bit like visiting a brothel, really; the better the ride the more it costs...

Oh, very well, I'm leaving now.

Can you apply the same level of arithmetic to the discount on my next pair of shoes? ;)

I'd be happy to, you normally get more than that you ****!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom