2011 E350 CDI Estate - corrosion!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kersidan

Car
S212 E350 cdi sport 265 Estate
I've recently noticed some bodywork corrosion on my 2011 E Class Estate. A bit of a funny area to get corrosion, I think... Rear wheel arches on the inside of the door jams down by where the 'plastic' sill covers meet the rear quarter at the back. Not an area where the body work would get much weather/salt related damage but it's there on both sides.

I'm taking the car into my local dealers (Hughes Beaconsfield) on Tuesday for what they have termed an inspection and estimate. For sure I'm not looking to pay to have a 2011 E Class corrosion issue put right. Am I being optimistic?

Has anyone else heard or seen this problem?

Mark

I would have thought it will be covered under the paint and corrosion warranty, I certainly wouldn't be paying a penny to rectify stand your ground, any pics of the area and corrosion?

I'll try and get some photos uploaded.

No accident damage at all and the corrosion is on both sides.

I'm certainly going to look for this to covered under Mercedes body work guarantee.

Mark

I bet it's where the plastic sill has vibrated over time and worn through the paint! Just a guess but possible.

That's what I'm thinking as the corrosion is where the plastic sill meets the rear wheel arch.

Mark

Just checked mine, identical car and year. No sign of any corrosion but there is a significant gap where the plastic meets the arch. Maybe 2mm :dk:

Just checked mine, identical car and year. No sign of any corrosion but there is a significant gap where the plastic meets the arch. Maybe 2mm :dk:

As you say there is a gap of a mm or so. So not an obvious point where the sill trim could rub unless something has shifted. I'm a bit more concerned about what can't be seen below where the sill is.

For info car has done 70K miles and has a full MB service history up till it's last lube service 1K miles ago which was done at Star in Reading. Apart from this area of corrosion the car is in immaculate condition. I hope MB don't use this as a feeble excuse to withhold any warranty repairs.

Mark

I've added a couple of photo's below. Hope they come out OK...

Attachments

• IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 96
Looks like dirt has got behind the liner, retained water and caused the rust. I have a feeling I heard somewhere that there's little chance for water to escape if crud gets behind the lining.

That's bad maybe a Friday or Monday car . Not bad though but a few hundred sorting it out.

If you can, try getting your hand right underneath and have a feel along the underside edge, you might well find a collection of crud sticking there. When I bought my 211 it was one of the areas that I checked in the showroom, leaving a mess all over their floor! Muck gets in under there and in the wheel arch liner and acts as a sponge for water which can't escape properly and so causes rust issues.

Doesn't look inside out really ? that usually bubbles ? strange one for sure :/

If you can, try getting your hand right underneath and have a feel along the underside edge, you might well find a collection of crud sticking there. When I bought my 211 it was one of the areas that I checked in the showroom, leaving a mess all over their floor! Muck gets in under there and in the wheel arch liner and acts as a sponge for water which can't escape properly and so causes rust issues.

The cars about as clean as it can be underneath as I always wash underneath sills and wheel arches every wash.

Mark

A brief update.

I've been into my dealers (Hughes) this morning and their body shop expert has taken a look, taken photos and paint depth readings, all being well apart from a slightly high reading on O/S rear quarter other than that he remarked on its good condition. He admitted that he'd not seen anything like this before and was a bit puzzled. So a report is being complied to be sent of to Germany.

I asked about the corrosion being covered under warranty and he said that the 'official' corrosion warranty was for 3 years only. However they're going to ask/push for a goodwill gesture from MB - I'm hoping for a very good one!.

I'll update as and when.

Mark

Good luck with MB. I'm just coming to the end of a massive paintwork saga, my fault for buying an Opal Flakey Red MB I suppose ;)
Certainly doesn't seem up to the standard you'd expect :confused:

I've recently noticed some bodywork corrosion on my 2011 E Class Estate

3800878.jpg

Quick update.

I had a call from the dealers (Hughes Beaconsfield) this morning and MB are going to sort out the problem under goodwill/warranty 100%. Plus free courtesy car for the days mine's in the bodyshop.

That's a great result and thank you to Hughes and MB.

It'll be interesting to hear what they find when they take the sill covers off and start doing the work on hidden areas.

A happy Mark!

Quick update. I collected my car from Hughes MB Beaconsfield after they've had it for three days. Job done. All looks perfect. I was in a rush so didn't get a chance to go into the details with them... sorry for that!

It's a great car and I'm happy to have had a minor issue sorted totally FOC.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom