2011 ML 350 - Central locking gremlin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkP80

Car
ML350 Grand Edition
Hi folks,

I've got a bit of an issue with the central locking on my ML350. I've taken it into MB for them to have a look at it, but thought I'd post on here to see if anyone has had a similar problem. I've done a forum search and although I've seen lots of central locking topics, nothing that seemed to quite match this.

I went out to the car on Sunday and noticed the remote didn't unlock the car. I've very occasionally (every 6 months?) seen this before, and I've always found if I open the door with the emergency key then start the car, all seems to work fine again, so I presumed this was the same. However, when I got right next to the driver's door, I tried again and the locks all fired as normal. However, if I went more than about a foot away from the door handle, it stopped working. I got the spare, virtually unused fob and that was exactly the same, leading me to think it was a car problem, not the remotes.

I then opened the tailgate using the remote, again while right next to the driver's door. When I tried to close it using the red button on the tailgate, nothing happened. The remote wouldn't close it either, and nor would the switch inside the car. I closed it by hand and went to the supermarket.

At the supermarket, I locked the car, and while walking away, the alarm went off. I checked the tailgate and it didn't seem to be shut properly. I closed it again manually, and didn't hear any servo trying to do that last "suck in" of the door that I get when the motors close it. When I drove home, I got the tailgate not closed warning light.

These two issues don't seem tobe related, but it seems a heck of a cincidence that they would happen on exactly the same day.

So, the car is with MB now, and they mentioned to my wife that they would try Service Measure 4452 first - is anyone on here familiar with what that might be? Or does anyone have experience of this fault, or know what the problem might be?

I'll report back in any case with what MB come up with, as it may be of interest to others.

Cheers,
MarkP

I have a 2011 ML and haven't had all the problems you describe but recognise some of them. I too seem to come across the issue of the remote only working when it is close to the drivers door. I think it then uses IR rather than RF to open the locks.

Not sure if this is a sometimes necessary recoding exercise or a result of local RF interference.

Did you try resetting the hatch by holding in the stop button?

Well, time for a bit of feedback.
Humbernart, thanks for the reply. I did wonder if it was using IR when close to the door, but didn't think to check at the time. I didn't know about resetting the tailgate either!
Anyway, phone call from MB and the Service Measure 4452 has solved the problem. The message I got was that this replaces the "ignition switch" though I'm not clear what parts exactly. The guy I spoke to talked as if this was a fairly common, well-known fault though and was not at all surprised that this fixed it. He confirmed that it resolved both problems (central locking and tailgate clsing) simultaneously, which still seems a bit weird to me, but hey, I guess that's modern car electronics for you.
Just out of warranty, but no charge. I got the impression it was a sort of recall without being recalled, if there is such a thing.
Hope this assists anyone else with similar issues - HumberMart, maybe worth mentioning your issues and this Service Measure reference next time you're at the dealer?

Cheers,
MarkP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom