2011 vito 113 OM651 not starting

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Gunnerkev, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Gunnerkev

Gunnerkev New Member

Car:
    Mercedes vito 113 W639
    Hi all
    I have a vito starting problem. i broke down just before christmas, the van started pouring white smoke out the back and pinking or going off a cylinder or maybe 2 one day. i pulled up along the side and the engine stopped and would turn over but not start. felt as if it was hydraulising a bit when i tried to start it. Anyways got it towed home and suspected a blown injector as i used to mechanic years ago and read up on the OM651 problems. Set of recon injectors in and it still doesnt start, no fault codes either. its virtually starting when i turn it over and actually did at one stage for a second or two but running very tamely or quiet. im really stumped as i mechaniced before all these fancy sensors and technology came along. i have an icarsft i980 basic scanner but cant see anything obviously wrong with the engine or sensors. Any help or pointers from mercedes techies would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  2. OP
    OP
    Gunnerkev

Gunnerkev New Member

Car:
    Mercedes vito 113 W639
    forgot to add before i took old injectors out for recon, i cranked over the van for about 2 mins and when i took all the injectors out all were normal looking except the tip of injector 4 was wet

3. cheddar

cheddar Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK63 AMG, s211 E320 CDI
    Had you filled it up shortly before, just thinking fuel contamination?

4. OP
    OP
    Gunnerkev

Gunnerkev New Member

Car:
    Mercedes vito 113 W639
    3/4 filled it that morning chedder and than topped off the tank at a different fuel station about half an hour before it stopped. i had a miss on one cylinder just after i put the first fuel in. Not fussed on draining a full tank into jars but if i have to. This van has really broke my heart at this stage. has always had an intermittant miss on cylinder 3 and limp mode occasionally, so i thought new set of injectors would cure it.

5. cheddar

cheddar Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK63 AMG, s211 E320 CDI
    Does it show correct fuel pressure when cranking? And also check manifold pressure when cranking. Jammed throttle flap possibly?

6. OP
    OP
    Gunnerkev

Gunnerkev New Member

Car:
    Mercedes vito 113 W639
    Hi Cheddar, sorry didnt see this until now, It was showing 1 bar on the low pressure pump with ignition on and when cranking it showed 300 iirc. Would a jammed throttle flap cause it not to start at all? Just to add i drained the tank yesterday and new filter but still same symptoms. I need to check cylinder compressions now to rule out any problems there before i can go forward i think

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019