2011 W212 nav system position error

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

liquidated

Car
W212 E350
Hello all. I'm trying to help a neighbour solve a problem on his 2011 E350 saloon with factory fitted sat nav. Since a few weeks ago it no longer places the car on the right point on the map; it's some 50 or 60 miles out.

In the nav system's position screen the system appears to show no satellites being seen and the car's heading (direction) is off.

We've gone into the engineering menu (via Hangup-1-#) and gone into the HU Information page and then the GPS Information page. The date and time are completely wrong and although they can be manually corrected that doesn't seem to help. We can also go into the SW Setting menu and the Current Position submenu and set correctly the car's position and direction but when the car is driven it appears to just use dead reckoning to determine the car's position so if you drive a 30 mile loop and return to your starting point the position displayed on the nav system is a mile or more out.

Under the engineering menu GPS antenna status is reported as OK and a varying number of satellites are reported as being seen but in the detailed satellite information menu they're all displayed as 0 azimuth and elevation and status is given as No Fix.

A reset via the system engineering menu doesn't seem to help.

We've checked the GPS aerial connection at the roof and it's clean and looks OK.

Any ideas what else to look for will be gratefully received!

Can anyone shed any light on the GPS aerial replacement procedure? It's possible to unplug the cables at the aerial (GPS and radio?) and remove the torx screw in the centre but the aerial won't budge.

Not easy on my previous

I had a similar problem on my 2014 E300 Hybrid, the dealership had to remove the complete head lining to route the wires forward.

Mine was the first they had done since Mercedes in their wisdom decided not to add a connector near the GPS aerial as per previous cars.

Personally Alfie's offer seems to be the one I would go for but then I never tinker with my cars other than detailing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom