2011 w218 CLS 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks nice.

I do love a nice lightly modded black CLS.

Looks nice.

I do love a nice lightly modded black CLS.
won't lie I was planning to go for a more aggressive rear diffuser and 4 x 4inch slitted tips 😅
Too bad there aren't many sensible options for the front, the current selection of lips for pre-favelift amg line bumper is very poor...

won't lie I was planning to go for a more aggressive rear diffuser and 4 x 4inch slitted tips 😅
Too bad there aren't many sensible options for the front, the current selection of lips for pre-favelift amg line bumper is very poor...

I judge a car on how it looks after mods if any.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't for me.

As long as you like whatever you do to it - that's the main thing!

The pictures do it justice too as they look professional to me and well-thought-out.

As nice as those pics look, I am looking forward to the sale ad ;) Been advertised for some time now (more than 6 months) and still remains to be. A rare beast indeed being the 500, but at 63 money I am not so sure.

Anyone....

I guess if you don't need to get shot of it... and you don't mind paying for the adverts...

As nice as those pics look, I am looking forward to the sale ad ;) Been advertised for some time now (more than 6 months) and still remains to be. A rare beast indeed being the 500, but at 63 money I am not so sure.

Anyone....

It's been difficult..
I've put it up for sale over 5 times now, I had a buyer back in November, but I decided not to sell it then because i fell in love with the car again, as I've fitted new rims and lowered it which has made the car handle like a completely different beast..
then around march I've put it up on sale again, after spending time with my friend on a track in his M2 competition.

I originally had plans for stage 3 and even have some m157 turbos on hands, but having found myself loving the track experience, I now don't see a point of having a 700hp car that whatever you do to it won't be as good in turns as something lighter...

I'm still confused as to do I really want to sell it to be fair, but I think it's time for something lighter and more agile...
Although I'm not in a rush to do so enjoying every drive with a v8 :D

about the price.. In my opinion it's well worth it, I think the 500 has much better characteristics to be comfortable cruiser as well as a pretty capable mammoth on B roads and of course a loud muscle car when i open exhaust valves ;)
of course 63 is amazing and is probably more capable on road with the static suspension, but compromising comfort..
and having looked at some examples of 63 myself in current market, it's a rarity you'll find a good example close to 20k, although 25ish there is a better chance.

It's been difficult..
I've put it up for sale over 5 times now, I had a buyer back in November, but I decided not to sell it then because i fell in love with the car again, as I've fitted new rims and lowered it which has made the car handle like a completely different beast..
then around march I've put it up on sale again, after spending time with my friend on a track in his M2 competition.

I originally had plans for stage 3 and even have some m157 turbos on hands, but having found myself loving the track experience, I now don't see a point of having a 700hp car that whatever you do to it won't be as good in turns as something lighter...

I'm still confused as to do I really want to sell it to be fair, but I think it's time for something lighter and more agile...
Although I'm not in a rush to do so enjoying every drive with a v8 :D

about the price.. In my opinion it's well worth it, I think the 500 has much better characteristics to be comfortable cruiser as well as a pretty capable mammoth on B roads and of course a loud muscle car when i open exhaust valves ;)
of course 63 is amazing and is probably more capable on road with the static suspension, but compromising comfort..
and having looked at some examples of 63 myself in current market, it's a rarity you'll find a good example close to 20k, although 25ish there is a better chance.
I agree and it’s not a easy situation. Similar to yours but on another level I have my CLS63 for sale. It’s priced high compared to standard M157’s, but I’d argue that it’s the best on the market, so worth the extra. However, my car appeals to a very small amount of potential buyers, so I have to be patient. I agree with what you say about a good 63 being closer to £25k. There are a few near £20k but doubtful they are great examples requiring no spend within the first year. Major service, discs and pads and alloy Refurb / tyres can easily add a few thousands to that figure.

I agree and it’s not a easy situation. Similar to yours but on another level I have my CLS63 for sale. It’s priced high compared to standard M157’s, but I’d argue that it’s the best on the market, so worth the extra. However, my car appeals to a very small amount of potential buyers, so I have to be patient. I agree with what you say about a good 63 being closer to £25k. There are a few near £20k but doubtful they are great examples requiring no spend within the first year. Major service, discs and pads and alloy Refurb / tyres can easily add a few thousands to that figure.
Yes we are definitely on the same page.
it's pretty gullible to believe that a 63 for around 20k will be investment-free and quite frankly majority of people who do buy cars without research wouldn't reinvest into the cars hence it's quite common to see performance cars of the past up for sale in the most terrible conditions, because people do not understand that paying 20k doesn't mean servicing is as of a 20k car.
I'd much rather pay more but be sure the car won't need a major investment for another 3 years rather paying less and then cashing out on getting the car back to the optimal condition..
Although when i bought mine it hasn't been trashed or was it in a bad condition, however it has been driven only 3-4k miles between 2014-2018 so i had to spend a few thousands just to get the car to the condition that i like my cars to be in, I like to fix it before it breaks, hence *knock on wood* have never had anything but bulbs fail on any of my cars.

Also depending on mileage we are looking at timing chains, transmission fluids (a lot of people tend to ignore these), differential fluid(depending on a car), rubbers/engine mounts etc.. I've been to Mercedes with mine 2-3 times just to check it's all good, so the mechanic was started getting sort of annoyed with me saying if you want to spend money go ahead but it's not needed at all. Rather be safe than sorry later..

Absolutely reference timing chains. It’s well known an issue on the M157 particularly from 2011/2012 and even some early registered 2013 models. Eventually they’ll all suffer from stretch unless they had the early remedial work done. £4K job.......

Nice rare beast, love the arty photos too ! Revised chain tensioners and pressure check valves need installing in these engines at the earliest even if there are no startup rattle symptoms. Some very early examples even had the old style chains which also are prone to fail.

Thanks @gurpz !
I've got a few more, been testing new camera today:
You get to see the front now too ! :D Too bad i have to really compress them down due to upload size limitations
_6050022-min.jpg_6050094-min.jpg

It's been difficult..
I've put it up for sale over 5 times now

I've sorted of been there myself with my modded E55K.

I toyed with the idea of selling from about 3 years of ownership when I started getting bored.

Then I got it modded and loved it again but after 4.5 > 5 years I went through a couple of more "selling it" / "not selling it".

Once I finally decided and put it on the market after 5.5 years and that was that but in hindsight, I should have sold it at 4.5 years when the second thought came as the new-found love for it disappeared quickly.

I've learnt to change sooner after that if I get those thoughts now!

So I would just get on and focus on selling it, even if it means dropping the price, and then moving on to what you want next.

The M2 seems like a cracking car. I've considered one myself as it harks back to and is the closest thing to my E36 M3 Evo 20 years ago - and that car was incredible.

I won't be buying an M2 as I'm sure it's a novelty and I don't really drive like I did in my M3 anymore and it wouldn't be comfortable enough for me now, but I still like the idea.

Good luck whatever you do.

thanks for your opinions guys, as I've said I am in no rush to sell it, even with a 63 price I still do have potential buyers, it's not a tragedy if i don't sell it as it's not a necessity as such, but if I do find a buyer I won't say no either, as I'm opened to start looking for my new "love".
As of now i don't have a particular desire for the next car, M2 is nice, but not very practical for me and is out of my price range ( as I would only consider M2comp)
to each it's own and everyone is judging car purchase by their own experience/approach. We've already discussed a few points regarding low price 63s with Cyclone above, although I'm not completely trashing the idea of purchasing 63 like that, who knows maybe it will work out great, but I'll use the analogy that my friend have told me regarding buying an m3 e46 :
"Whether you buy it for 12k or 20k, you will always pay +-20k at the end of the day" (that's considering you do take care of your car of course, if you drive a car and sell it soon after to another person, just before it completely dies is a different story).
I know 2 people that have bough 500s on a cheap side and oh boy have they had to pay, granted one is located in Russia and road conditions there aren't the best, but another one is from UK, having to spend 7k in first year of ownership(and i'm not talking regular maintenance like tires, brakes, oil etc.) because saved 2-3k initially? No thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom