2011 W221 Water in passenger footwell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S350L

Car
Mercedes
Hi All

I've noticed that I have a huge amount of water in the passenger footwell of my 2011 W221 S350

Any ideas where I should be looking to stop this please

Thanks in advance

Check the windscreen scuttle drains are clear, at each side and also the sunroof drains, if fitted. Try passing a stiff wire down each taking care, especially down the A pillars.

Yes as above the drains at either end of the scuttles block very easily,it is like a paste made from leaves and dust,as above stiff wire will do it but also look where the drains exit the car which is behind both front wheels via a small opening in the black plastic wheel arch liner.

The passenger side drain adjacent to the bonnet hinge may be the problem. If it's the same as on the 216 it has a 45 degree bend in it and blocks easily. Water overflows through battery tray and down the bulkhead and finds it's way into the floorpan. As above, clear the drain and the sunroof one.

Easy test is to run water through the drains, open the roof and poor a little water to the front corners of opening near the A pillars. I used curtain wire to clear mine. Roof was clear but found left and right drains at base of screen clogged.

Are drains the Achilles Heel of Mercedes?
Both Mercs I've owned came with blocked drains. There was inches of water in the battery compartment.
The other side where the ECU is housed, was clear but I suspect had been blocked which may have accounted for the corroded circuit board that totalled the car for me.

Are drains the Achilles Heel of Mercedes?
Both Mercs I've owned came with blocked drains. There was inches of water in the battery compartment.
The other side where the ECU is housed, was clear but I suspect had been blocked which may have accounted for the corroded circuit board that totalled the car for me.
Blocked window drains are an achilles heel of most brands.
People can't be bothered to clear the muck out of the top of the drains, so it decomposes and finds its way down into the system.
It doesn't take much - just a matter or removing compost from the bottom of the window area.

A quick google will reveal similar tales from BMW, VW, and Ford.

There is a specific leak problem in the rear of the R230 (SL), but that's not blocked drains, it's failed rubber seals.

Drains 'maintenance' is part of the routine service, pretty sure I read in WIS somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom