2011 W639 Vito DIY Alternator Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyVito

Car
Vito 113 2.1 W639
Has anyone attempted this without removing front end?
The alternator can be detached from vehicle but doesnt physically fit through the spaces in the engine bay.
I was thinking the exhaust manifold is on a flexy pipe and there appears to be only 3 more connections that need to be removed to pull the alternator up and out.
Have ran out of time today and alternator not due to arrive until tomorrow so may give it a go.

Cannot believe how little info there is on diy Vito repairs seeing as every other van on the road seems to be a Vito.

There are a few manuals online. The main one is not supposed to be much good because of poor illustrations. I got a copy of the Mercedes Workshop info for the 639 from emanualonline.com

There are a few manuals online. The main one is not supposed to be much good because of poor illustrations. I got a copy of the Mercedes Workshop info for the 639 from emanualonline.com
Is it worth getting? Does it describe removal of parts etc?

I managed to get the alternator out by loosening the bolts and not completely removing the front end, but had to remove a water pipe so drain down required. Now I know what I am doing reckon it would take 1-2 hours.

Ok,
New alternator isnt putting out, have charged the battery and still nothing.
Im thinking the new alternator is duff or wiring issue.
The 220a fuse is ok are there any others that may be related on this vehicle?
Noticed there is only one active pin in the socket at the rear of the alternator (exciter wire) surprised by this as there are two pins on the alternator but there only feels like theres one wire in the cabling anyway?
Any auto electricians out there?
Im getting around 9volts at socket and 0.5v at output.

Its OM651 engine.

There's a mega fuse 300a on the main alternator cable, Im not getting continuity either side of it. Dont think it will push out so looks like a snip and diy replace.....hopefully this will fix it.

Is it worth getting? Does it describe removal of parts etc?

The WIS is what the Mercedes dealers use although mine is only up to 2017. Very detailed with photos and step by step instructions.

That would appear to be the one didn't know it covered buses as well but all cars. File size is right and it runs on Oracle Virtual Machine which comes with it. Bit cumbersome on running it but well worth it.

Hey is yours the facelift model w369? I am having trouble getting my alternator out and have removed the bumper and am in the process of disconnecting pipes. to get it out. there isnt alot of space at all.

Have you removed the electric fan?

It should come out upward with the turbo removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom