Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Mercedes A-Class revealed in patent filing

Our friends at the European Patent Office have leaked the first pictures of the 2012 Mercedes A-Class.

Previewed by the A-Class concept, the production model is a five-door hatchback with subdued styling. The overall design seems to mimic the BMW 1-Series, but the front end is distinguished by a long hood, LED-infused headlights and a two-bar grille.

No interior pictures were released, but Mercedes has indicated the car will have a luxurious cabin with a high-tech COMAND system that offers downloadable apps.

As we have previously reported, the A-Class will ride on the MFA platform and feature a variety of fuel efficient engines. Nothing is official, but the range-topping A25 AMG is expected to have a turbocharged 2.0-liter petrol that develops 320 hp (239 kW / 324 PS) to 350 hp (261 kW / 355 PS).

58336443933441217.jpg

17278717241738988398.jpg

797566763344139114.jpg

1309652627910566391.jpg

20591824752111145366.jpg

4890203771054421111.jpg

Last edited:
Apart from the grill it looks like a thousand other hatches, well reminds me of a fiesta actually.

At last a car that your average under 30s male will want, a true rival to the 1 Series and A3.

Won't it possibly endanger the prestige of the brand, if to readily available to the lower orders :D

Won't it possibly endanger the prestige of the brand, if to readily available to the lower orders :D

The existing orignal A-Class has been doing that for the past 12 years! ;)

Apart from the grill it looks like a thousand other hatches, well reminds me of a fiesta actually.

Spot on artyman. That design is a copy and fusion of just about every other small hatch that is knocking about.

Methinks ever hardcore current A Class owners will shun it.

+1

Spot on artyman. That design is a copy and fusion of just about every other small hatch that is knocking about.

It's the automotive equivalent of a modern kitchen design. All done on the same software = identikit products. Try spotting that at Tesco's car park in amongst the Fiestas, 1 series, etc.

Boring Boring Boring!:doh:

Correct. They may get a few under-30s as it may be a better proposition than the appalling 1 Series. But they will lose a whole slew of older customers who don't want a car they have to be helped out of! Toyota Verso/Seat Altea/ Skoda Yeti/Golf Plus/C3 Picasso will be the beneficiaries.

That sector doesn't want imaginative, it wants economical, affordable and dependable cars, and with the number of MINI, 1 series and A1/A3 on the road likes the idea of "premium".

If it's quiet, comfy and feels special inside it'll have Audi worried, will need to drive nice to get people out of the 1 series though.

I would guess the pictures portray the " body kitted" AMG/SPORT version. The lesser models may look more mundane.:( Two crucial factors --how well does it drive/ride quality, and the purchase price will finally influence its success against its market competitors.:dk:

ugly, uninspiring, but a safe bet. I'm not sure about the sharp headlight corners, but i think i'd like to try them out on a few psychotic cyclists... I don't think they'll do well in the NCAP pedestrian safety ratings.

At last a car that your average under 30s male will want, a true rival to the 1 Series and A3.
Good lord. Who on earth would want something as ugly and cramped as a BMW 1 series? When the A class uniquely offers the interior space of an E class, and the safety of an E class, in a car that is different from the endless array of undersized, cramped and lookalike hatches from other makers.

Are we to applaud Mercedes for turning the A class into something low and cramped just like everyone else's hatchback? Just dearer and that little bit uglier? And with most models having cut-price Renault engines.

Good lord. Who on earth would want something as ugly and cramped as a BMW 1 series? When the A class uniquely offers the interior space of an E class, and the safety of an E class, in a car that is different from the endless array of undersized, cramped and lookalike hatches from other makers.

Precisely! All the plus points of current A class are gone ... :dk: :(

2012 A-Class

2012 A-Class

The first spy shots available of the 2012 next-generation Mercedes-Benz A-Class

11057578081568143555.jpg

18829076422099539472.jpg

6139975851846990319.jpg

8126413391575378354.jpg

1737339327816666230.jpg

It's got a big long bonnet !!!

Where's the short squat A class we know and love ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom