2012 British GP - Silverstone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teabag

Are there any regular British grand prix attendees on here?

Looking at booking tickets for this years race day, bit pricey but its something I'm keen to experience and a yacht in Monte Carlo harbour may well be a little above buget for this year...

So I was wondering if anyone had any useful tips or recommendations for the day?

Im going to go for a general admission ticket, not pay for a seat ill hardly be in, I'd like to walk round and see as much of the track and different types of racing action as I can.

Parking prices are a bit steep and I guess it gets pretty congested on race day. Has anyone ever used the motorway park and ride scheme?

Daughter bought us raceday tickets and park and ride as my birthday pressie 2011. IMHO it's a total rip-off and not worth the money. GA tickets were £131, no cancellation or refund allowed, don't know what she paid for the park and ride. The P&R worked well getting to the track but was a chinese fire drill coming away.

For comparison, a 3 day ticket including pit lane access on the Friday - for FAI GT1 racing - was £30.

As for wandering around Silverstone - we got there about 10.30 and had to walk a long way to find somewhere where we could view the track - so wandering around is not, to me, an option.

As for wandering around Silverstone - we got there about 10.30 and had to walk a long way to find somewhere where we could view the track - so wandering around is not, to me, an option.

I concur re: the wandering about; I went a few years back (before the relief road was built) and it was manic, difficult to move anywhere to get a viewing. It's certainly an experience but it's a long day/weekend - I imagine even busier nowadays.

Definitely go; but be prepared

Don't waste your money would be my advice. I go to the British every year as a corporate guest and it's not all it's cracked up to be. For the lads motorsport outings or family for that matter try one of the near European F1 GP's, you can get a 3 day ticket, camping, ferry crossing and fuel for what it costs to do the British GP and you get treat better. In the past we have done German, Belgium, Spain, Hungary, and all cheaper and better than rip off Britain. Le Mans is also another good cheap trip.

If you do the British don't use the park and ride as previously mentioned, camp and you can walk to the circuit, you can hire the tents already set up for you if you don't have one. A lot of the nearby hotels also run coaches in and out which works reasonably well if you can put up with the travel every day there are some great hotel/race ticket deals with the Birmingham hotels

Myself and a few friends are wanting to go there for 2012; any tips?

Sorry for thread hijack :ban:

Yep, book it now and the best deals are with some of the car clubs, didn't go last year but in 2010 we booked through Porsche car club (don't have to own a Porsche) and used their campsite too, TVR club is another good one.

If you let me know if you are camping or hotel I'll dig you out some info, think we will also be going this year. I'm going to get on the case next week think it will be Belgian F1 GP and German F1 GP + Le Mans for the lads outings.

All my trip info is on my external hard drive at work but I'm back in the office tomorrow so once I know what you want I'll PM you some suggestions, or PM me your e mail and I'll e mail them through to you :thumb:

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I'd love to go to one of the European gp's and I can quite imagine that the prices are comparable to a day at the British but Ive already got a couple of weekends away with the lads in the first half of the year so another one is out. A few of the boys who don't have anyone to answer to indoors will be doing the 3 day camping thing and although not much of a bear grylls type it sounds like a bit of a crack.

So walking round the track is pretty pointless due to not being able to move much due to the sheer ammount of people?

If we were to book a grandstand which ones get the most action there? I'm thinking the straight where the DRS overtaking happens.

flanaia1 - what stand are the corporate bods put in?

flanaia1 - what stand are the corporate bods put in?

Last year we were in a marquee in the centre of the circuit that overlooked Hanger straight and stowe corner, but there are corporate marquees and boxes all over the centre of the circuit.

I used to do a lot of work for Ford Motorsport so I'm fortunate to get an invite every year :)

I used to do a lot of work for Ford Motorsport so I'm fortunate to get an invite every year :)

That's a touch. I drink shed loads of redbull, I might write em a letter just so they know, see if I can get an invite ;) I hear they know how to put on a decent party

I would have to recommend le mans also, I did two years in a row a few years back, again through a car club, I think it was the MG owners club! It was a 5 day camp, it was brilliant, especially if you love your cars on and off the track, meeting weird and wonderful people and cheep warm wine!

For Le Mans, take a look at Lycian Events and their Village on the Curves. We did our first Le Mans with them in 2011, their secure site was superb, portacabin toilet/shower blocks with hot water, superb catering tent with good food and draught beer at reasonable prices - brilliant. They have their own website, but also look at beermountain.com for more Le Mans info.

If your up for going to Silverstone forget the GP and go for the Historic Festival. I went a few years ago and it was a cracking weekend, 3 days of historic racing a huge classic car show on the in field and music concert on the Friday and Saturday nights....the food and drink prices don't change though but the tickets are much cheaper and the access easier.

We generally go every year and camp for the whole long weekend walking in each day and coming and going as we please. Looking at going in on a day pass on race day is a challenge but very worthwhile particularly if you haven’t been before. Take a seat and some food unless you fancy relying on burgers or 3 day old oiled up donughts for your daily intake, it is a great but long day.

I understand earlier comment regarding not going at all but if you haven’t been it is something else which tv can’t provide with the noise and atmosphere which you don’t get from your living room. Chuck in the anticipation and a great day out - you have to go along even if just to decide of you go again!!

Without a stand or seat booked you can pretty much walk the circuit and with some juggling and pushing you always get to see the track, around the Maggotts, Becketts, Chapel is spectacular as the guys come through pretty quickly, on the bank at Copse is also great. The rest of the track is hard to get a great view IMHO unless you are in a stand though others may be able to add to this for you. I would say the straights aren’t great to place yourself as the speed of the cars seems to loose it’s wow factor after a few laps.

I can’t comment on park & ride but get there much earlier than you think would be okay, it definitely will not! Regardless be prepared for a lot of people everywhere you go and a lot of hardcore enthusiasts who, with respect, look as if they wait their whole year to go to race day (which can provide amusement in itself!). Pass through the F1 village as well if you want to pick up any memorabilia if that’s your thing, a lovely orange Lewis cap and such like!!

You can walk the track afterwards which is really worthwhile so wait around after the events have finished and have a closer look around, just jump the barriers as everyone else does. If you go to he pit straight when you are doing this all of the team trucks come around and you can see the cars being dismantled and loaded up right in front of you which is definitely a must. Enjoy!
Edd

Been to a few using GA and it's a bit of a waste of time to be honest. At best you will get a 5 degree view of the circuit and see some noisy blurs go by :thumb:

Last one I went to was back in 2008, did it properly that time around :rock:

P1000786.jpg

It's all been said really.
If you want a good view of the cars in action, but don't want a grandstand seat, get there early and be prepared to stay put. Becketts is my personal favourite - the high speed direction change of the cars is amazing. I'll be there on the Sunday with my Dad.
I've never used the park and ride, and acknowledge that the price for parking is a rip off, but I've always been back in London by 6ish. Just be patient and don't let the other (more pushy) drivers piss you off too much.

I have been going for 17 years to the BGP. It is what you make it. I usually camp opposite the track and get sloshed, with a BBQ etc. Its a great laugh with a load of mates. I have only payed once too.

Been to a few using GA and it's a bit of a waste of time to be honest. At best you will get a 5 degree view of the circuit and see some noisy blurs go by :thumb:

Last one I went to was back in 2008, did it properly that time around :rock:

P1000786.jpg

Exactly what my son said.

If you want to experience the the noise and burnt racing oil smell, then fine.
But if you want to know what`s happening, better watching the telly.

Remember to drink more than your own body weight in beer before you join the queues for entry. Once you actually get into the circuit, assuming you have not ruptured your bladder head straight for the toilets. These are easy to find. Just look for clouds of steam rising up from behind the nearest structure your nose will get you the rest of the way there.

Sell your house for cash before departure. This will ensure that you can afford a soggy burger that has been rolled in dog pooh. If you want a good view of the track. Take a portable telly and watch it in your car.

Or as my misses said. Why not just stay home pee up the back of the sofa and watch it on TV.

double posted.. oops!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom