2012 British GP - Silverstone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd always wanted to go to the Grand Prix, as it's nearly always held around my birthday. I finally got to go a few years back, when SWMBO got tickets for us for my 40th. A great day out, we had grandstand seats at the end of the pit straight, but once was enough. Stupidly expensive, unless you actively enjoy having your trousers taken down there are much better ways to spend money. And, as said, you get a better view watching it on the telly..

Cheers,

Gaz

Something I did a couple of years ago with my dad was pay to go into corporate hospitality, but just on the Friday practice day. It's about £195 each, but you get v.nice food, a grandstand pretty much to your self (we were sited just before Becketts).

As has been said before, you can't get a handle on the racing and what's going on on raceday anyway, so we figured that just to see an F1 car in the flesh etc, this was about the most economical way to do it.

My dad was pretty sickened at how things had changed though. Back in the 70's when we were regulars, we still have the pictures of wandering through the pits and chatting to the drivers getting autographs etc. Nowadays the great unwashed are treated like cattle but financially shafted, while 'celebs' wander up around for free and don't know the first thing about F1.

My dad was pretty sickened at how things had changed though. Back in the 70's when we were regulars, we still have the pictures of wandering through the pits and chatting to the drivers getting autographs etc. Nowadays the great unwashed are treated like cattle but financially shafted, while 'celebs' wander up around for free and don't know the first thing about F1.

Touring cars are great for that - or we're a few years ago.

I was a guest of Vauxhall when they got the triple at Donnington in 2003. At the end of the day, as the teams packed away, the trophies - all of them - were perched on the taillift of a truck behind the Vauxhall pits and there wasn't a sole in sight! Anyone could have been there too - not just guests.

If you want to know what's going on in the race just listen to radio Silverstone. That is the only way to do it IMO

Appreciate all the replies and suggestions so far, I think I’ve got a good idea on what to expect/not to expect.

I’m still going to go, I really want to hear the noise and witness the top ends and cornering speeds of these machines. Granted ill most likely be shuffling side to side to get a view past the umbrellas in front of me - but that’s the British weather for you!!

As has been said I could sit in my front room with my supermarket price beers in the fridge, but I could say the same about watching football.
The cameras at football grounds get the best seats in the house for the view, and its a lot warmer and a hell of a lot cheaper to stay in. But it is 100x more enjoyable to be able to feel the buzz, get involved in the atmosphere using your own senses actually being there.

Maybe ill despise it (I doubt it), but if I dont go ill never know, I will be going with an open mind but ill keep your comments at the back of my mind and hopefully Ill not be too disappointed.

A European GP is definately on the to do list.. So who's going to which ones this year, or where have you been that you'd like to go back to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom