2012 C Class C250 M271.860 Engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MQ2596

Car
C200 Coupe EQ Boost 2019
Hey all,

I recently bought a used 2012 C250 1.8L petrol. It has around 53,000 miles on the clock and a full service history from MB. I have read that the timing chain is prone to fail in the M271 engines and this has got me quite worried and regretting my purchase…
I decided to buy this car because it has been looked after well and has a full service history from MB. Is there anything I can do going forwards to ensure I get the most life out of the timing chain? Any preventative measures I can take? Thanks in advance.

Chains don't like dirty oil so change it more often than the schedule if you are doing high miles. An extra oil change in between standard service intervals costs peanuts especially on a diy basis. No particular need to change the filter at the same time and it will be a little more efficient if you don't. Buy genuine MB oil in 20L containers from MB dealers on ebay and the oil will cost approx £16 per change. This is what I have been doing with oil changes at no more than 6000 mile intervals.

Chains don't like dirty oil so change it more often than the schedule if you are doing high miles. An extra oil change in between standard service intervals costs peanuts especially on a diy basis. No particular need to change the filter at the same time and it will be a little more efficient if you don't. Buy genuine MB oil in 20L containers from MB dealers on ebay and the oil will cost approx £16 per change. This is what I have been doing with oil changes at no more than 6000 mile intervals.
thanks for the advice. Do you know many people who drive mercs with the m271 and don’t run into issues with the timing chain or is it guaranteed to mess up at some point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom