2012 C250Cdi - noisy/slower than expected?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not only that but gets the throttle plate opening quicker so you get torque quicker than you could even by stomping on the pedal .
Throttle plate!? Nope... It's a direct injection diesel and like all direct injection diesels it had no throttle plate. They are effectively anyways at full throttle and engine speed is controlled purely by injector pressure and duration.
All pedal boosters is reduce the amount is pedal movement required for any given increase in engine speed....they don't affect performance at all (they don't even claim to). But it feels more responsive due to the short action throttle movement. Pushing your throttle foot down further and faster will have the same result.

That's a fair comment , anti shudder valve then... I often dismiss theory for what actually happens in the real world as that's what is defining and most important .

On reflection it must be the injectors squirting sooner .

I can promise you as having an decades old automotive career I look into things more deeply than most and the misconceptions are staggering !

Simply the best single thing I've done to a car and I've done alot that does and doesn't work and prepared to give an honest account .

Very happy to listen to your misconceptions .

We're equally happy to listen to yours...

We've done Sprint Boosters to death before, haven't we?

As a point of fact, the anti-shudder valve only operates when a diesel engine is turned off. It's a shut-off valve, pure and simple. It is not any type of throttle plate, and it remains open when an engine is running.

(I, too, have decades of experience with cars; over five, in fact).

Last edited:
It's fine because people fall into two camps , very much like belief systems , lol .

Some belief systems are founded on fact, though.

I don't believe David Icke's beliefs, either. Lol.

Exactly that's what I do , real world every time .

This does this... this measures this wide, this does that , but does it !

Just picked this up recently, but it's a bit noisy than expected (4-cylinder diesel, maybe that's normal) and tbh I thought it would be punchier given the spec quoting 500Nm of torque (it also seems to have a very narrow power band).

The car does have 150,000miles on it, so perhaps it's a bit tired now? I thought maybe a remap is the way to go, but would probably like a dyno somewhere to get an idea of how the engine is performing as a baseline.

Someone has mentioned a Quantum remap to me (any good?) but I think that is just a remap, no dyno work.

Thanks
:)
Yeah just get a generic map at that mileage on a stock motor

No point chasing an extra 5bhp for a custom £450 tune

Generic map on it will be grand if desired

I'm not sure what the exact definition would be either, but I'd think anything that does not involve a rolling road; I had a Celtic Tuning generic map on the R171 - the guy turned up, downloaded their map on to the ECU, and drove away again.

That's a fair comment , anti shudder valve then... I often dismiss theory for what actually happens in the real world as that's what is defining and most important .

On reflection it must be the injectors squirting sooner .

I can promise you as having an decades old automotive career I look into things more deeply than most and the misconceptions are staggering !

Simply the best single thing I've done to a car and I've done alot that does and doesn't work and prepared to give an honest account .

Anti shudder valve is only for smooth cut off of engine when turning off. Hence anti-shudder valve.

It is not used in normal operation

Please explain

It's an old out of date term that dates back to actual ecu eprom chip changes or early ecu flashes without any variables or differences. .

Mostly misunderstood 'generic' refers to your actual ecu software file being read then sent in an email to the software tuning company , sometimes you can put a single actual name to the author ! I can and one of them was tuning Cosworths way back .

Now here's the variables , with such differences in software updates to accommodate revised sensors ( dpf pressure sensors have several revisions ) a generic isn't possible and will send it haywire , it simply won't work .

It has to be your actual software file sent off for modification received back and then bench or obd flashed back .

Sounds reasonable; makes sense.

Custom / bespoke tune is basically a base Stage 1 map custom tuned to perhaps raise the bar a little more pushing the regular boundaries this would involve live data logging , air intake temps , egt , etc and many dyno runs , definitely the more expensive option .

Stage 2 mostly hardware changes like bigger turbo , exhaust and injectors.

Sometimes just a Stage 1 is fine usually with it's repeated over many cars and set fuel tables , a custom might be superior in both bhp and or torque or just one area.

I can state from personal experience that the (Big Fish/MSL) Stage 1 tune on my CLS is very definitely fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom