2012 C250Cdi - noisy/slower than expected?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have you not been following ?

Screenshot_20220528-194200_YouTube.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Let's just agree to disagree, eh; I'm bored now.

Bored of being proved wrong ?

I'm not tired , never get bored , too much to do in life.

Went for a nice run earlier .

You'll hurt yourself doing that .

Seriously what's the real problem ?

It's a bit frustrating for me because the mechanic
( ex engineer ) who did most of the work on the S14 who I hadn't seen for years. I spoke to him for 20 seconds about it and he instantly understood because of his background .

Another time I handed my key to a bloke I know in his mid 50's who drives a W212 E250 CDI .
He came back smiling stating " Big difference."

Spill day.... , very simple and I'm disappointed no one cracked it .

As E55BOF has recently observed different cars with electronic throttle bodies have different throttle responsiveness .

I noticed this myself between two Audi Q's, with the same engine and S-tronic gearbox.

Some are like the 1:1 good old drive by cable days and others say 3 seconds till it gets moving , I'm sure it's not actually 3 seconds but it will feel like it when your right foot puts in the request .

For these bigger delays the best result and a big difference is often a throttle controller is put in it's highest setting for the closest 1:1 replication .

The flaw with the Dickie Bipes 'white paper' is his Mercedes did not have any throttle lag .
Screenshot_20220612-073922_Gallery.jpg

So there was nothing to improve upon and he failed to be pragmatic otherwise a beautifully presented paper and say it might / would on a car with significant delay and so the snake oil nay sayers bandwagon became.

I found a great video of a truck on a dyno and they were stomping the pedal as fast as possible and stock Vs controller highest setting was a destinctive gain of getting torque earlier and a small amount of earlier bhp too .
2020-06-10 06.52.49.png

This earlier torque is what gets some vehicles the seconds improvement in a sprint up the road but for most it's practical use a safer pull out on to a roundabout or out of a junction .

Have you not been following ?

View attachment 127990

Rubbish. You really expect us to believe you can get TWO SECONDS improvement in standing start acceleration with an electronic throttle just by fitting a device that starts the throttle opening a bit faster than standard?

'S still Bollocks, innit? No, really, it is; only someone with no mechanical knowledge would believe that. You can't defeat the laws of physics, and why you keep pushing this nonsense escapes me.

A throttle controller can improve driveability by improving throttle response; I accept that. In fact, I'm looking to fit one on my CLS to do exactly that. If I get a two-second improvement in acceleration I will readily admit I was wrong and eat my own underwear, but I won't, I wasn't and I won't have to.

From your relentless plugging, I assume you have an interest in Sprint Booster sales. I imagine these devices are all much of a muchness, but I don't think it will be a Sprint Booster I buy, though, because they don't make one to fit my car.

You are one very sad disappointing man.

I'm trying to help you with your X218 and you just want to ridicule me for what ?

The vehicles with the biggest delays get the best improvement and that varies from vehicle to vehicle.

No delay , already 1:1 , no improvement.

Just a follow-up....I've decided to go for a Quantum remap as I can get it for the same cost as the SB unit (not worth spending double the money on a full custom map and RR session, given the mileage as someone mention before). :)

Thanks for all the input!

Can that be done independently to anything else, do you know? If so, that might be the answer rather than anything aftermarket.

That information may be exactly what I needed all along; with luck, no need for anything aftermarket. Now to find somebody local who knows how to do it...

I wish I'd known sooner. Thank you very much.

Indeed , someone is right and someone is wrong , but there is middle ground of why it doesn't work on some cars and others it does but the majority haven't worked it out.

Big clue here...

Diesels dont work that way, there is no vacuum so all he has written relates to Petrols, throttle boosters are pointless on Diesels and frankly any remap worth having will already take this into Account and will increase fueling for a given throttle opening provided there is enough oxygen to burn it, for example within VAG they use the same power train on a multitude of brands and models however the ones fitted to all the Audis and the sporty VAG models such as GTD have a faster throttle response built in, you can log in to the ECU and turn it on in most cases in the Mechanical pump days we used to just turn up the mixture screw and put up with the soot trail but things have moved on now and its a more scientific approach and its more to do with charge pressure and temperature and ensuring the variable turbos are always at the optimum efficiency to increase the burn without soot, the best thing you can do to any Diesel is clean out the various EGR and emissions control systems

Someone new comes along has a view , maybe doesn't understand and I will have to repetitively explain till the end of days...

Anyone can say anything about anything , disregard , disprove , because they can... this is rife amongst the Mercedes forums probably because they are less likely to tune and or deludedly believe that the Mercedes engineers have created ' the best or nothing' perfection that should not be required to be improved upon .

I have a diesel and the product improved the first quarter of throttle pedal travel response no end .

The why and how exactly doesn't matter it's the real world difference that matters whether it be a signal to the throttle plate or injectors .

When tuned I didn't feel a difference and I gained alot of torque but this is when the car is in dyno mode which let's you have it all !

With all the traction control back on it's a dog on a leash and like the chaps experience of his 350 CDI CLS Big Fish MSL remap his throttle response was no different and is currently seeking someone to do throttle pedal developer coding called Pedalkennlinie there's also torque limiters to play with etc but it's rare as I guess one wrong move and a big headache could happen like a bricked ecu .

Some stuff to play with in the gearbox tcu too .

Me personally I opted for the 3rd party 7 minute plug and play and most of that is waiting for the Canbus to go to sleep .

It's so easy to fit and just two plastic 13mm nuts to remove .

Plus rather than just one setting of selecting in Pedalkennlinie you have 36 , also the ability to reduce the power output of the vehicle 25 / 50 or 75% ( Valet mode ) and an extra layer of security called Pedal lock , when in this mode all you get is engine idle , press the accelerator still idle , the pedal is dead .

Someone new comes along has a view , maybe doesn't understand and I will have to repetitively explain till the end of days...

Anyone can say anything about anything , disregard , disprove , because they can... this is rife amongst the Mercedes forums probably because they are less likely to tune and or deludedly believe that the Mercedes engineers have created ' the best or nothing' perfection that should not be required to be improved upon .

I have a diesel and the product improved the first quarter of throttle pedal travel response no end .

The why and how exactly doesn't matter it's the real world difference that matters whether it be a signal to the throttle plate or injectors .

When tuned I didn't feel a difference and I gained alot of torque but this is when the car is in dyno mode which let's you have it all !

With all the traction control back on it's a dog on a leash and like the chaps experience of his 350 CDI CLS Big Fish MSL remap his throttle response was no different and is currently seeking someone to do throttle pedal developer coding called Pedalkennlinie there's also torque limiters to play with etc but it's rare as I guess one wrong move and a big headache could happen like a bricked ecu .

Some stuff to play with in the gearbox tcu too .

Me personally I opted for the 3rd party 7 minute plug and play and most of that is waiting for the Canbus to go to sleep .

It's so easy to fit and just two plastic 13mm nuts to remove .

Plus rather than just one setting of selecting in Pedalkennlinie you have 36 , also the ability to reduce the power output of the vehicle 25 / 50 or 75% ( Valet mode ) and an extra layer of security called Pedal lock , when in this mode all you get is engine idle , press the accelerator still idle , the pedal is dead .
Hmm and the possibility of a failure from your 50p worth of electronics whilst in motion, no thanks get it remapped properly and junk the other stuff, its possible to have the maximum the engine can produce and still have the security of TC, if you get wheel spin your not moving forward, my remap provides maximum motion regardless of the weather, turn off the TC and its possible to break traction at 40mph on kick down with excellent Tyres on in the wet, then again mine was remapped as a favour by a race engine developer so perhaps they are a bit more knowledgeable than your off the shelf remap installer, pedal boxes fit into that same category as those plug in resistor boxes on Ebay that do nothing more than increase fueling by fooling the ECU into thinking its cold.
So once again lets talk simple physics Diesels have no Vacuum, opening the throttle plate on its own has nil effect unlike a Petrol where it increases the intake, it needs to be properly remapped so your remap adjusts the injection of fuel to be quicker as alluded to with the VAG reference above, however it also needs to be done in conjunction with other sensors on the Car, so for example I cannot get full throttle as quickly until the engine has passed 50degC it reduces the throttle response to prevent undue wear and tear does your pedal box do that?
Anti theft pff I have an Alarm and a tracker fitted that works in conjunction with the Standard fit system.

Last edited:
I'm very happy thank you and there's millions that are too with pedal boxes , it's been at least a few years and unlike a remap it can be removed and sold just like my auxiliary battery .

So there we have it not even my author who was tuning Cosworths back in the 80's, John at Big Fish and Acid at MSL go into Pedalkennlinie , I wonder if Antony does at GAD ?

I'm very happy thank you and there's millions that are too with pedal boxes , it's been at least a few years and unlike a remap it can be removed and sold just like my auxiliary battery .

So there we have it not even my author who was tuning Cosworths back in the 80's, John at Big Fish and Acid at MSL go into Pedalkennlinie , I wonder if Antony does at GAD ?
Maybe there’s a reason they don’t?

Maybe a risk of upsetting something or worse case scenario the ecu becomes bricked ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom