2012 E250 coolant level - pictures included

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Djcheshire

Car
E250
Hello

The 'check coolant level' light came on earlier a few miles from home. I've let the car cool and I've had a look at the tank.

I've included a picture of the current level. Can't see any signs of leaks, it's parked on a rather clean driveway so it would show pretty quickly.

Does the tank seem normal? I can't find my MB book to confirm where the level marker is, the tank only shows the part number.

I'm out early doors tomorrow so any help tonight would be ace!

Last edited:
It should be up to the top of the clear plastic.
When did you last check it? Or has it leaked or evaporated over a long period.

Last edited:
The correct level is the top of the clear plastic.
It could be a minor dribble that you wouldn't see especially if its taken months to empty.

It was serviced around a month ago, I assume they would have check the level at that point. For the past 3 weeks it's been with Mercedes having the roof replaced, I've only just picked it up today.

Is it safe to drive with that level of coolant? At least to a garage to get some coolant? Does it require any particular type / brand?

Thanks

Use only genuine MB coolant. Never assume ANYTHING as far as servicing goes. Yes, safe to drive to a dealer to get some coolant, just as long as it's not to the other end of the country. :)

I think the level markers are on the left side of the bottle. It is low. Maybe they didn't tighten the cap properly?

Could be a weeping water pump, they are made of Plastic my was replaced under warranty on my c220 w204 at a year old

Is it a E250 diesel or petrol?

The diesel have a known problem, as mentioned above but does not affect the petrol model.

I had a similar problem on my C250 petrol and the first dealer gave me the run around stating nothing was wrong and they informed me that they had topped the coolant, which was not true. Anyway, I decided to takethe car ito another dealer who kept the car overnight and found the radiator was leaking at a weld pointe high dripped onto the underside cover which meant you never saw a wet patch. The work covered under warranty which resulted in a new radiator.

Having ordered and replaced the radiator they even asked to keep ithe car overnight to ensure that the leak was fixed.

Use only genuine MB coolant. Never assume ANYTHING as far as servicing goes. Yes, safe to drive to a dealer to get some coolant, just as long as it's not to the other end of the country. :)

What's wrong with topping up with water as long as not in excessive amounts to neutralise the antifreeze and inhibitor.
I've added a 1/4 of a litre a few times.

My money would be on the water pump if it's a slow leak, a known issue.

I also had a slow leak on a gasket, think it could have been fuel pump housing or similar?

Don't leave it, the problem won't go away and will leave you stranded at the worst possible moment, I know this from experience :(

Thanks for the help everyone.

Whilst the car was with MB they replaced a fuel sensor, plus something else, due to a lumpy idle. As a result they bled the coolant.

They've checked all the seals and can't see any signs of a leak and advised the drop in coolant was too great to be anything other than an airlock. Topped up and went on my way, this morning all was okay so bullet dodged!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom