2012 M-Class Offically Unveiled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
2012 M-Class Offically Unveiled

At launch, three different engines will be offered. The entry-level ML 250 Bluetec has a 2.1-liter four-cylinder diesel that produces 204 PS (150 kW / 201 hp) and 369 lb-ft (500 Nm) of torque.

Moving up to the ML 350 Bluetec rewards drivers with a 3.0-liter V6 diesel engine with 258 PS (190 kW / 254 hp) and 457 lb-ft (619 Nm) of torque. Early speculation is that the engine will allows the driver to sprint to 100 km/h (62 mph) in about 7.5 seconds before topping out at 224 km/h (139 mph).

Lastly, if you're a petrol fan, the ML 350 BlueEfficiency has a 3.5-liter V6 engine that develops 306 PS (225 kW / 302 hp) and 273 lb-ft (370 Nm) of torque. This model will be able to race all the way up to 235 km/h (146 mph), though its sprint time is slightly slower.

Regardless of what powertrain is selected, all engines are paired to a 7G-Tronic Plus automatic transmission and an all-wheel drive system.

In terms of handling, all models come equipped with a selective damping suspension. If that isn't impressive enough, customers can order an Airmatic self-leveling air suspension and an Active Curve System with dynamic roll stabilization.

Of course, since this is a Mercedes, the crossover can be outfitted with all the latest technology. Options include Night View Assist Plus (with pedestrian recognition), Speed Limit Assist, Lane Keeping Assist, Blind Spot Assist, Active Park Assist and Distronic Plus - just to name a few.

1005111873359714660.jpg

1307651730670920137.jpg

2122448579412637549.jpg

1009964990713914432.jpg

83120547871850522.jpg

1140670161773649233.jpg

19190518061052615539.jpg

18913025502124619906.jpg

1469840586982024298.jpg

18535540191785101150.jpg

15911802971711023418.jpg

Love the inside but those rear light look horrible. Looks like a KIA!

looks just like any other SUV ..

I like it, really nice interior too but it just looks like it's missing something on the front... maybe its too short, doesn't look wide enough on the arches? Maybe I've just got my GL-glasses on so it doesn't look quite right??

Looks ok to me....but tells you very little about how quiet, economical, comfortable and practical it will be. How boring is that!:eek:
I'm sure the interior is not standard, it will be the result of thousands spent ticking 'Designo' boxes.;)

The ML has been copied by all the brands mentioned above. There is only so much designers can do to "step away" from copies. Youare always left with the two box system for an SuV. So it has to be in the reliability, quality, durability and useability where Mercedes must excell.

There it is then - my next new car!! Better start saving!
Been waiting for the details for ages - the interior looks like an improvement but I'm not so sure about the exterior. Both front and rear aspects look a little odd, perhaps it will look better in the "metal". Change for changes sake comes to mind. I thought dimensions were going to be slightly smaller, but it looks bigger!

C pillar has always looked wrong to me

amg kit looks quite good, but this is as bland a car as they could ever have come up with!

this is as bland a car as they could ever have come up with!

I wonder just what you expect. When the current ML came out in 2005, Autocar pitted it against the X5, the XC90 and the Torag. I am looking at the mag now:

4x4 SHOCK
NEW MERC ML BEATS X5
BRILLIANT M CLASS - TOO SMART FOR BMW, VOLVO AND VW

etc etc...

In fact, at the time it was difficult to find any review that faulted it. Importantly, most agreed it was a vast improvement on the old model.

I bought one and loved it from day one. Impressive, smooth, cavernous, comfortable, loaded (in my case) - the lot. But I eventually moved on to a smaller Merc and in many ways regret it.

So what are MB supposed to do with the new model? Completely redesign it or just improve what is already proven? I think it is sensible to go for the latter - they already smash the competition (in my view). This just takes the ML into the new generation...and quite frankly some of the exterior styling changes look like simple window dressing to me...

In fact, at the time it was difficult to find any review that faulted it.

I'm surprised by that - I have an itch to get an SUV and my impression is that the ML isn't well thought of.

I wonder how new model copes with a 4cyl engine? These vehicles need to feel effortless.

Lexus LX470 dash.

112_0407_road_test_2004_lexus_lx_470_vs_lincoln_navigator_ultimate_4x4_vs_land_rover_range_rover_hse_vs_infiniti_qx56_awd_13z+2004_lexus_lx_470+front_interior_view.jpg

I'm surprised by that - I have an itch to get an SUV and my impression is that the ML isn't well thought of.

I wonder how new model copes with a 4cyl engine? These vehicles need to feel effortless.

Well, there are bound to be some detractors - you've only got to read this thread.

However, I have quoted Autocar's headlines from 2005. Even if you go to Whatcar Reviews now, the overall opinion is pretty favourable:

For Superb drive; refinement; strong performance and image; bags of space for five and their luggage.
Against There's no seven-seater option and it's not as sharp to drive as a BMW X5. Plus, the interior plastics are not up to par and there are concerns over residual values.

What Car? says
4 out of 5 stars ... The M-Class has a lot more going for it than just the badge.
Followed by:

Performance 4 out of 5 stars
With such a good V6, why pay for the V8?
Ride & Handling 4 out of 5 stars
Generally composed and comfortable
Refinement 4 out of 5 stars
Everything is competently muffled
Buying & Owning 3 out of 5 stars
High purchase price and running costs
Quality & Reliability 3 out of 5 stars
Let down by only minor details
Safety & Security 4 out of 5 stars
Full range of safety equipment
Behind The Wheel 4 out of 5 stars
Everything within easy reach
Space & Practicality 4 out of 5 stars
Plenty of room for five
Equipment 4 out of 5 stars
Generous standard equipment
Ok, reviews are not the be all and end all. But my personal experience of ownership has more than borne them out with this car.

I agree that the four cylinder might not be up to the job. But the 6 cylinder V6 diesel - which I will go for - will I am sure be effortless (as is the current model).

Last edited:
This model makes W164 look like a beauty queen.

No V8 either except AMG.

In other words, are you kidding me?

This model makes W164 look like a beauty queen.

No V8 either except AMG.

In other words, are you kidding me?
No 4 x 4 can ever be described as good looking. 'Purposefull' is a about as generous as I could get!

A V8 for less than 1% of the European market? Why would there be?:dk:

I suspect they are kidding you!

This model makes W164 look like a beauty queen. /QUOTE]

When you are talking Ferraris, Maseratis, AMG's, etc, you are quite right to offer superlatives of "beauty".
When you are talking SUVs, Defenders, Hummers and yes the ML, beauty doesn't really come into it.
Designers might want their vehicles to look impressive, but the main design purpose is to create a suitable body shell to build in practicality, comfort, performance, safety, ease of use, functions, versatility, road presence, economy, space, etc etc.
Surprise, surprise, all designers come up with roughly the same blueprint encompassing all these demands, which surprise, surprise, means that most SUVs look the same!
Some of course, do it better than others. MB do it with the ML and its up to you to decide if their creation is as successful as competitors but in any event judge the result on the car's reason for being, not its looks.

It does look a bit bloated in its side profile, also the clock on the cluster display and sat nav read different times, a sign of electrical problems ;) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom