2012 onwards SLK owners experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIRMA

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus RCF
A good friend of mine who I met back in the days when we had Subaru SVX's is thinking of changing his Mazda MX5 for a facelift SLK. I have suggested he joins this forum to get advice but just in case he doesn't are there any owners who could offer any advice regarding running costs, spec etc.

Can help a bit............
Where do you want to start

I think the car he has seen and likes is the 350 any reason not to consider it, he does use the car quite a lot so not sure what fuel consumption you could expect.

Don't know about the petrols. 2012 brochure suggests 39.8mpg combined, which I would guess means 30 to 35

I think he needs to join because I don't know what his priorities are regarding the car but that average figure for fuel consumption will please him I think.

A good friend of mine who I met back in the days when we had Subaru SVX's is thinking of changing his Mazda MX5 for a facelift SLK. I have suggested he joins this forum to get advice but just in case he doesn't are there any owners who could offer any advice regarding running costs, spec etc.

My wife has a 2013 250cdi. Great car to drive even though engine very noisy compared to my e class coupe. Biggest problem I find is it's very cramped inside but if he has an mx5 it probably won't bother him. Kit seems pretty good but I don't think my wife's had to many options ticked as hasn't got heated seats or command. Don't know anything about the 350 but can imagine it gets up and goes well.

Diesels are just over 200bhp - the 350 petrol is over 300bhp - it will be quick

I loved my SLK, I would say heated seats with air scarf is a must have though.

I seem to remember he liked the air scarf in my SL63 and heated seats are a must for Spring and Autumn driving.

Your friend should read slkworld.com, there's plenty information about latest model.

I used to have an MX-5 (2.0 litre model) and switched to an SLK (2012 250 CDI) - it's very much a different car to drive, less roadster, more cruiser I found. The Mazda also did a better job of keeping the wind out of the car when you had the side windows down! The MX-5 is known for it's near perfect gearbox and my SLK was the 7G Tronic which definitely removed a lot of the enthusiastic driving. I think the petrol models would be more fun vs my diesel.

It's lovely to have the hard top roof though and the boot feels massive compared to the MX-5! I've switched to a C-Class now, but recently drove the latest MX-5 and I'll no doubt pick one up at some time as a weekend car. Great little things.

We have a facelift SLK55 (last of the breed it would appear) which is great fun - all the features of the SLK plus the V8. Harder ride than the rest of the range, bigger brakes etc but fully loaded with airscarf etc. It makes for a very flexible vehicle - extremely fast when needed, but a great tourer as well with piston shut off in Eco mode which gives an easily attainable 30-32mpg on a long cruise at typical motorway speeds.

I think the lack of a V8 in the recently announced version will make these very sort after, so might be the time to invest .......... :)

We have a facelift SLK55 (last of the breed it would appear) which is great fun - all the features of the SLK plus the V8. Harder ride than the rest of the range, bigger brakes etc but fully loaded with airscarf etc. It makes for a very flexible vehicle - extremely fast when needed, but a great tourer as well with piston shut off in Eco mode which gives an easily attainable 30-32mpg on a long cruise at typical motorway speeds.

I think the lack of a V8 in the recently announced version will make these very sort after, so might be the time to invest .......... :)

My first thoughts when he said he was interested in a SLK was don't mess around get the SLK 55 facelift if it was me I'd go straight for the 55, but I only use mine as an occasional blast machine and I don't mind 13 MPG but if you are using it as a daily I guess you have to be a little more thoughtful as driving around real world fuel economy in the 55 may not be acceptable.

My first thoughts when he said he was interested in a SLK was don't mess around get the SLK 55 facelift if it was me I'd go straight for the 55, but I only use mine as an occasional blast machine and I don't mind 13 MPG but if you are using it as a daily I guess you have to be a little more thoughtful as driving around real world fuel economy in the 55 may not be acceptable.

I think he would be quite surprised with the economy of the 55, bearing in mind it is a naturally aspirated car and fairly light with it compared to the SL55/63. My other half used to use it to go to work - 6 mile journey in rush hour traffic and still got over 23mpg.

I guess it all comes down to how your friend intends to use it :)

I owned a 172 slk 250 cdi and loved it, Palladium Silver, Bengal Red Nappa leather, air scarf, memory seats, smoked glass roof , 204 bhp loads of torque, we have a house in southern Spain and always drive 1250 miles 2 days with the roof up able to get all cases and wifes, wives always have to take loads of other bits, in the boot , the second day we averaged 68 MPH over 560 MLS and got 48.9 MPG only sold it , when I stopped work and sold our other vehicle which meant we couldn't take our granddaughter out together, so bought the E Coupe. But yes great car.
Touring roadster and good fun, maybe go for SL next time, even better.

I think he would be quite surprised with the economy of the 55, bearing in mind it is a naturally aspirated car and fairly light with it compared to the SL55/63. My other half used to use it to go to work - 6 mile journey in rush hour traffic and still got over 23mpg.

I guess it all comes down to how your friend intends to use it :)

2012 brochure again - SLK 55AMG lists at 33.6mpg combined & 421bhp

Thanks for the info, like I say I wouldn't hesitate in buying a facelift 55 but my friend may consider it too expensive to buy then put fuel in it because he does use the car daily judging by the mileage he's put on the MX5.
Although he was very impressed with the way my SL63 went when I let him have a go in it.

I have just bought a 250 CDI AMG Sport on a 15 plate . The engine is very quiet . I had heard they we're noisy and was going to avoid but then I heard that after August 2012 the engine was revamped and made a lot quieter. A friend of mine that has a TVR Tuscan S was surprised that it was a diesel and was very surprised at the mpg and performance .
I think diesel sports cars are here to stay oh yes and the road tax is only £130 .
Michael.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom