2012 vito radio input poor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ar22

Car
vito
the aux input in the glove box is very poor, the volume has to up full to hear anything

is there a way of getting it turned up, I asked at the last service but they hadnt a clue

this happens on all devices, phones, ipods etc which work fine elsewhere

Hi - just turn the volume up on whatever device is plugged in. You need it higher than you'd normally have for earphones.

Hi - just turn the volume up on whatever device is plugged in. You need it higher than you'd normally have for earphones.

all up full

on a scale of 1 to 10 volume wise it would be at best at 3

if I flick back to the radio after using it you would nearly blow the speakers

its useless

all up full

on a scale of 1 to 10 volume wise it would be at best at 3

if I flick back to the radio after using it you would nearly blow the speakers

its useless

The aux input is always poor……….why not buy an inline battery powered booster from the bay of E for a few quid? Upside, the signal is boosted so volume doesn't need to nearly as high. Downside, they use batteries.

The aux input is always poor……….why not buy an inline battery powered booster from the bay of E for a few quid? Upside, the signal is boosted so volume doesn't need to nearly as high. Downside, they use batteries.

never heard of these, will investigate

but why is it so poor, dont get that bit

thanks

I'm not familiar with this particular aux input. Is it a 3.5mm headphone/earpiece style socket or a phono style one?

The electrical characteristics of the 2 types are very different. An iDevice earpiece socket will output maybe 100 mV whereas a phono 'line-level' input would expect about 1,000 mV peak. So, simplistically, the volume will be a tenth of what you would expect. The impedance (resistance) will also be different and this can lead to audio distortion and other issues.

As stated before, an amp will correct the voltage and impedance issues if different connectors are the problem, ie one is 3.5mm and the other is phono.

(Btw, sometimes manufacturers will use 3.5mm connectors for phono level signals so making things even more difficult.)

I'm not familiar with this particular aux input. Is it a 3.5mm headphone/earpiece style socket or a phono style one?

The electrical characteristics of the 2 types are very different. An iDevice earpiece socket will output maybe 100 mV whereas a phono 'line-level' input would expect about 1,000 mV peak. So, simplistically, the volume will be a tenth of what you would expect. The impedance (resistance) will also be different and this can lead to audio distortion and other issues.

As stated before, an amp will correct the voltage and impedance issues if different connectors are the problem, ie one is 3.5mm and the other is phono.

(Btw, sometimes manufacturers will use 3.5mm connectors for phono level signals so making things even more difficult.)

its a 3.5mm plug and your correct about 1/10th volume wouldnt be far off, I have searched for these inline amps and they seem easy enough to get and I will be ordering one.

I dont quite get why Mercedes fit an input for the playing of 3rd party devices through the strereo when in reality it wont at any form of quality, they should have this small amp built in.

thanks very much

It works fine on our Vito with the volume turned up a bit on the MP3 player :dk:

Mine is quiet too and the radio reception is poor :(

Get a bluetooth adaptor and connect via bt.
This will usually boost the levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom