2012 W204 audio help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dark1stu

Car
54 plate C270 Cdi
ok i have a 2012 W204 with the head unit as in attached photo

its not very loud , and i noticed today whilst lisned to metallica battery that half the drum set was missng , i was using cd ,

so my guestion is if i rip it out do i lose any fuctnailty , i have star if needed

i have found a kit to mount my touch screen JVC head unit that was in my last c class , it had bose speakers and sounded awsome

its got sat nav but its outdated so im using my tomtom i no that that wont work but im not botherd

no amp in the boot and no subwoofer

any thoughts would be apresiated

oh befor any one digs at my spelling im dislexic thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20210819_065220866_iOS.jpg
    20210819_065220866_iOS.jpg
    785.9 KB · Views: 13
The instrument cluster in the menu shows several of the COMAND NTG4.5 functions, including navigation, phonebook, and radio/disc. You'll obviously lose those.

You'll also lose the Linguatronic function on the steering wheel.

As for the rest of the steering wheel buttons, some models of aftermarket infotainment systems come with an adapter loom that will allow you to keep using these (radio and phone controls).

Also, your COMAND controller in the centre armrest will become a door knob.

Also, choose a unit can use the existing radio antenna, GPS antenna, and mic (for Bluetooth handsfree).

One last thing to consider - removing COMAND will devalue your car (even if the replacement unit is better) - dealers don't like 'butchered' cars - though you might not care too much about this aspect, or you could take the view that you will fit back the COMAND unit before selling the car.

my lass c class had command in it i disabled it using star so i could set the clock , when i came to sell it i just reinstaed it and re enabled it in star , i see this as a reversable modifcation , so the reduction in vaule is not to much of a worry , the thing i was most concerned about it the stop start , it seams to have lernt were i live and work and disables it self , i assume this uses gps from some were will the stop start still work ,

as for the Linguatronic function , well i have not been able to get that to do anythning corectly so no biggy , thanks all

Same, 2012 W204, NTG4.5.

I changed the front speakers / tweeters to morel with their crossover, added a JL 600w amp and audison bit ten. Also added a JL enclosed sub in the boot with JL 400w amp.

Crossovers were large but still fitted in the door..

Sounds a tad different now, no need the change out the head unit !

Attachments

• 20141213_143630.jpg
    20141213_143630.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
i changed the head unit over the weekend i still cant get anything decent out of it , the strange thing is the standerd speakers are eather 8 ohm or just poor , as lack of voulem continues , so i think its new door speakers time , are the harmond karden speakers worth a look in , they guy im buring the seats off has a set

I changed just the head unit and front speakers in my W203, better but still no depth, you need some power in there to drive them, and bass...

i have just got a full ste of focals for it , and my head unit drives 50w x4 Rms so should be plenty , were can i get a perminetnt 12v supply other than going to the battrie , also if that the case would it need to be the front one of the rear one , thanks

Comand UK fitted Morel speakers and Alpine subwoofer to my W204 (which has COMAND NTG4.5 same as yours), I didn't opt for an amp and I don't regret it, the sound quality (and volume) are amazing.

Stu , I fancy some of those Focal for the rear to make up for the crapy stock co axial and component door card tweeter fakery .

s-l400 (9).jpg

focal-165ac-coaxial-speaker.jpg

Only £90 a pair , why pay more ?

thats what i just brought and the components for the front , they have a good revew finger crossed , off to get leathers and door cards in the moring

thats what i just brought and the components for the front , they have a good revew finger crossed , off to get leathers and door cards in the moring

Link to the fronts ?

Don't forget the panel damping and sound insulation like Silent Coat and CTK WaveFix .

Think mine is a 400w bridged for the fronts so 200w each side and a 600 single for the small sub - other way round to as mentioned before..

My w203 has a pioneer head, fronts & tweeters, 50w/ channel and it sounds like a kitchen radio in comparison.

You need some power to drive the speakers - even at a low level, try the focals, you can always add an amp / crossover..

As Gaz mentioned, don't forget the sound insulation - also get some door clips as they snap !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom