2012 W204 C180 (M271) cam adjuster @ 39K ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harvey69

Car
C Class Coupe
Hello, newbie here, have recently purchased a 2012 C Class C180 Coupe, full MB service history.
At 39700 miles engine light appears on dash, fault code P0340 Camshaft position sensor. Diagnostics narrowed down to intake side - sensor duly replaced fault code cleared - approx 100 miles later engine light on again - same fault code. Again cleared but re-occurred shortly after, and has appeared intermittently since.

Have noticed cranking time to start engine is sometimes lengthy, also on start up the engine is noisy for a couple of seconds (sounds like a diesel).

After doing some research, I am wondering whether one or both camshaft gears (adjusters) are failing? This seems a common complaint on M271 engines. But the only reports I can find seem specific to earlier cars.

- Does this sound like a poss Cam gear(s) failing?
- Has anyone encountered cam gears failing on later 2012 models at such low mileage?
- Could cam gear failure affect cam position and hence sensor faults?
- Have replacement gears/adjusters been modified to eliminate repeat failure?
- Is there any customer support likely from MB dealer?

Sorry, lots of questions, this my first MB car I'm anxious to get some opinions.

Many, many thanks for any input....

Hi

I sounds like the cam chain has stretched, Id avoid driving the car till you get it checked, the only way to be sure is to lift off the cam covers and view the sprockets and timing.

I had similar symptoms to yours on a 211 with a 271 engine and it turned out to be the chain and gears . luckily I didn't damage any valves

Sounds like the age old 271 problem. If you bought from a dealer, take it back to them asap. To be honest though, there hasn't been too many of that age seen on here or the other forum.

If you bought privately, I'd let your nearest MB dealership have a look; given the service history and mileage I'd hope for a large contribution of goodwill, but with a recent ownership change, that might be a problem.

Ernie

Ernie and Shorty, thanks for your responses, appreciated.
I have been advised that the M271 timing chain was improved at some point (don't know when), and my car would have the later type. Be interested to know what engine serial number the improved chain became effective with?
Still curious whether cam position sensor fault could be related to defective cam adjuster?

Disappointed to learn about ongoing timing component issues, didn't expect this from MB, to make matters worse car has another fault consistent with ESL failure! Another seemingly ongoing problem!
Thanks for any input.

Obviously still a problem then, Harvey; Do you have any come-back on whoever sold you the car? If you are going to have to pay for it, then a good MB Indy is your best bet in these circumstances, although it might be worth trying MB for a goodwill contribution on the basis of mileage and service history. Could you get the car to the dealership who has serviced it in the past?

Like others have said, I wouldn't run it with these problems because if the chain breaks or slips and takes out the valves, you are in BIG trouble!

ERnie

Thanks for your replies and advice. Car booked in with Andy Gayle tomorrow. Hoping whatever amiss timing / cam adjuster end, will solve cam position sensor problem too!?
Can anyone advise of any improvements to chain and cam adjusters regarding replacement parts? I can't accept budgeting for this every 40k!

Thanks for your replies and advice. Car booked in with Andy Gayle tomorrow. Hoping whatever amiss timing / cam adjuster end, will solve cam position sensor problem too!?
Can anyone advise of any improvements to chain and cam adjusters regarding replacement parts? I can't accept budgeting for this every 40k!

What was the outcome from your visit to Andy, please?

Ernie

Sorry for late reply, in the end I spoke to local Mercedes dealer who inferred goodwill possibility if my fears about cam adjuster we're cause of problem. After much deliberation I gambled and booked it in. They found intake cam adjuster failed / failing and would participate 50% towards parts and labour as goodwill gesture. Still a bitter pill to swallow for cam gear at 39k, but I authorized the repair. Car running great now except for on going starting issues which I guess are ESL/EIS or key related. Have noticed 'replacement mercedes key's' now have Birmingham branch, anyone had any experience with them?

It's the gears that fail internally. I have one in bits on the bench at work. I must post pictures to show.
Done another Monday this week.
Really poor from MB

Hello, newbie here, have recently purchased a 2012 C Class C180 Coupe, full MB service history.
At 39700 miles engine light appears on dash, fault code P0340 Camshaft position sensor. Diagnostics narrowed down to intake side - sensor duly replaced fault code cleared - approx 100 miles later engine light on again - same fault code. Again cleared but re-occurred shortly after, and has appeared intermittently since.

Have noticed cranking time to start engine is sometimes lengthy, also on start up the engine is noisy for a couple of seconds (sounds like a diesel).

After doing some research, I am wondering whether one or both camshaft gears (adjusters) are failing? This seems a common complaint on M271 engines. But the only reports I can find seem specific to earlier cars.

- Does this sound like a poss Cam gear(s) failing?
- Has anyone encountered cam gears failing on later 2012 models at such low mileage?
- Could cam gear failure affect cam position and hence sensor faults?
- Have replacement gears/adjusters been modified to eliminate repeat failure?
- Is there any customer support likely from MB dealer?

Sorry, lots of questions, this my first MB car I'm anxious to get some opinions.

Many, many thanks for any input....
This is the exact same problem with my wifes car except her's is a 4 door and 2011. Millage is 46K.
I have replaced the cam position sensor and the light went off. a couple of days later it came back on for a day and its now off again. The starting issue seems to be getting a little worse though. Some times it will not start on the first turn of the key. When it does start it makes a rattling noise for a few seconds and then is fine. Performance is very good still, not sure about MPG as its turning colder but it maybe not as good as it has been in the past. This is our 11th merc and I am a little worried.
We have a service plan with the car and last week the dealer in Bradford wanted £100 to diagnose the fault at the same time as a small service. I said find the fault, tell me how much it will cost and we will go from there. No they stil wanted £100. Another thing they wanted was £75 to grease brake pipes. When I asked if they would fail an MOT it all went a bit quiet and the girl came back and said its just to make them last a little longer. I have owned my own body repaire shop a good few years ago and can do most things on most cars. So needless to say I told them I would do it.
So anyone saying take it to a dealer..........

I would appreciate any help as to what it could be. Could it be the cam adjuster?.If it sounds like it could be, what is the noise it makes at the begining of the start up with the key?. Reason I say with the key is no noise at all with the stop start and it starts instant with that.

This is the exact same problem with my wifes car except her's is a 4 door and 2011. Millage is 46K.
I have replaced the cam position sensor and the light went off. a couple of days later it came back on for a day and its now off again. The starting issue seems to be getting a little worse though. Some times it will not start on the first turn of the key. When it does start it makes a rattling noise for a few seconds and then is fine. Performance is very good still, not sure about MPG as its turning colder but it maybe not as good as it has been in the past. This is our 11th merc and I am a little worried.
We have a service plan with the car and last week the dealer in Bradford wanted £100 to diagnose the fault at the same time as a small service. I said find the fault, tell me how much it will cost and we will go from there. No they stil wanted £100. Another thing they wanted was £75 to grease brake pipes. When I asked if they would fail an MOT it all went a bit quiet and the girl came back and said its just to make them last a little longer. I have owned my own body repaire shop a good few years ago and can do most things on most cars. So needless to say I told them I would do it.
So anyone saying take it to a dealer..........

I would appreciate any help as to what it could be. Could it be the cam adjuster?.If it sounds like it could be, what is the noise it makes at the begining of the start up with the key?. Reason I say with the key is no noise at all with the stop start and it starts instant with that.

Yours sounds like it's got the same problem as the OP's. Refer back to Post 10 for the outcome to his problem, but I would be thinking along the lines of cam gears and chain, possibly tensioners as well. Won't be a cheap fix, though, and I'd be looking for a contribution if you take it to MB.

Ernie

Wife's car is a 2011 180CGI engine on 60k miles. and continued posts like this make me think about selling it and quitting whilst I'm ahead. I can't believe Merc had an engine in production for over a decade and never got around to fixing the problem!

Had a diagnosis from a good Merc independant her in Bradford. He said it is the cam adjusters. So chain adjusters and tensioners. Minimum charge £1500. If I go to Merc you can bet it will be £3000 and will they put on the required parts, ie. both cam adjusters or just the one that has failed and do they do the tensioners.
Well I think I may go to Merc and ask for a price for everything and if a contribution would happen. Thing is I dont have that sort of money to spend repairing the car. So god knows what we will do now.
The car looks brand new and drives that way but I am sure it will go bang one day or it will not start. If I trade it in and get a diesel will that be the same. We got the petrol because of all the issues with diesels and its a lot quieter than a diesel. We are so disappointed.

Last edited:
That is massively disappointing. I would go to Merc for a majority if not total contribution also pointing out this is a very common major issue with the M271 and has been for almost a decade, how you are so disappointed in buying a marquee car where this problem and supposedly been ironed out. Lay it on real thick, like REAL thick and see what they come back with. Also write a letter to MB UK Director as well as going the main dealer route. At least you appear not to have any bent valves or anything else so that's a blessing in itself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom