2012 w2121 e63 (bi turbo) gearbox failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kalvin928

Car
S205 C63s , Lotus Carlton replica, CLK 200 Kompressor
ok dreaded news came back from Wayne Gates today.. gearbox has failed on my car... surprised as only 48,000 miles. Anyway question is does the s63 AMG 5.5 bi turbo of similar age using the same box? i have done some research and when I look up the relevant numbers on my box: Model No: 722.931/ part number A2212701804.... it comes up with matches but some refer to the s63 gearbox with different part number but Model no is correct at 722.931
I need to either find low mileage box or find someone who can possibly recondition if its feasible. Terry has requested price from Mercedes for exchange unit but gather its going to be very expensive... any pointers appreciated

Bad luck:wallbash:
I was under the impression that the gearbox will fit if its the same code ie 722. 931
Perhaps a quick call to Terry would confirm this and narrow down your search.

Is this one worth a risk if the Mercedes quote is too much?

Or this one

Sorry to hear of your issues, can't really help with fitment but would have thought that the 722.931 would have fitted all, however ratios may vary slightly in model variations.

Acid at MSL Performance may be able to help on your quest for a replacement transmission. He does tend to have lots of obscure bits and pieces kicking around and would certainly be worth asking the question to.

It would be preferable to ring and not email as they are still short of office staff.

Bad luck:wallbash:
I was under the impression that the gearbox will fit if its the same code ie 722. 931
Perhaps a quick call to Terry would confirm this and narrow down your search.
Thanks for response... Terry wasnt too sure but there is one on ebay in Norfolk... And after doing various seraches... Can confirm it has wet clutch and also looks fine as only 15,000 miles.... I totally forgot about asking Acid for his advice!!! Ill drop him a line tomorrow and then may well pick up box tomorrow

Ok early morning trip to norfolk and got the box .... As paying cash got it much cheaper than advertised and dropped to Wayne Gates....as a result of it being fitted to the Car, it is moving now but its weird as Terry is saying that something electrical destroyed the old box... Subsequently learned that the old box drivetrain was knackered and just pricing up some parts came to £2000+....i was originally going to get it refurbished and keep as spare but not viable especially due to cost of damaged parts
Hopefully will have further news/ development next week and will update.... The only thing I did prior to the inital fault was a gearbox reset via key/ pedal but this may just be coincidence as there was some jerking occuring and thats why I thought a reset might help.... Or I may indeed have exasperated the fault? Who knows....

Ok early morning trip to norfolk and got the box .... As paying cash got it much cheaper than advertised and dropped to Wayne Gates....as a result of it being fitted to the Car, it is moving now but its weird as Terry is saying that something electrical destroyed the old box... Subsequently learned that the old box drivetrain was knackered and just pricing up some parts came to £2000+....i was originally going to get it refurbished and keep as spare but not viable especially due to cost of damaged parts
Hopefully will have further news/ development next week and will update.... The only thing I did prior to the inital fault was a gearbox reset via key/ pedal but this may just be coincidence as there was some jerking occuring and thats why I thought a reset might help.... Or I may indeed have exasperated the fault? Who knows....
I doubt it I don’t think you doing a gearbox reset would have made this fault appear quicker.

Sorry to hear about your gearbox, hope it gets sorted sharpish

I doubt it I don’t think you doing a gearbox reset would have made this fault appear quicker.

Sorry to hear about your gearbox, hope it gets sorted sharpish
I personally think its something to do with the edm/ tcu if damage was caused by electrical failure... Hopefully conclusive support next week!!!...

Update:
Looks like Wayne Gates living up to their reputation..... Had message gearbox all fine... Service done too...reason Terry thinks damage to drivetrain is becuase car has so much torque.... I think the initial damage was caused when i washed the car on a few occassions and it didnt move after any washing... On one particular day the car brakes had locked up due to me washing it and I spent 5 minutes with lots of power trying to move car going from drive to reverse causiing wheelspins and eventually the car did move. Anyway so chuffed to get it back guys!!!!!

Always a bit worrying to read threads like this when its the model you are looking to buy!!! Glad you got it sorted at least. You would not think that trying to free stuck brakes would impart enough force to destroy a transmission though......

It wouldn't in normal use, but I'd suspect the problem with the seized brakes and the repeated reversals of the torque path was what did it. It doesn't help that the early PP engines had a very aggressive map as standard either.

Always a bit worrying to read threads like this when its the model you are looking to buy!!! Glad you got it sorted at least. You would not think that trying to free stuck brakes would impart enough force to destroy a transmission though......
Hi there was no other reason i could think of....box was serviced 2000 miles prior to destruction....think it didnt do any good not to get it checked when warning signs were there: when i encountered jerking when pulling away..... But its my neglect in not getting it checked... The box i got off ebay was on there for months with no offers/ buyers and I got a nice discount when i collected it and availibility suggests the boxes are not prone to failure if maintained (like most things) i will take heed of this expensive lesson... and glad to have it back now.... Not put off at all with the car and would still highly recommend the vehicle if anyone looking to buy one in the future. P.s anyone reading this; did you buy the engine to which this box was coupled to? Seller mentioned that someone with E63 bought the engine as his had thrown a crank.

Did your fitter tell you which components within the tranny had broken....or was it not dismantled?

Did your fitter tell you which components within the tranny had broken....or was it not dismantled?
There was no fault code showing so he started to strip box... There Was expectation/ hope if no major damage he was going to refurbish it but he soon realised the damage on opening the box. There was no tell tale signs like metal fillings in tranny oil

Your theory as to why the transmission failed sounds reasonable to me.
What figure torque is your engine producing? Is it one of the early maps with high power and torque outputs?
Mine is at 1051nm and has been fine during the 2.5 years its been mapped.
But reading these kind of threads always makes me stop and think, "shall I have it removed?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom