2013 c220 engine management light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noswad82

Car
2013 c220 estate
Hello all, I'm Shane a newbie here and also new to mercedes and diesel for that matter . So last week the engine management light came on . My brother came by with his obd2 reader and brought up code p0229 (turbo/supercharger under boost) . He deleted the code but today it came back up on my way home from work . I felt the code come up , the revs changed instantly . The car isn't in limp mode and still picks up speed but not as quick as usual . Normally , put foot down , drops a gear or 2 and your off like a shot ! It does still drop down and picks up speed but there's no oomph like usual. Have also noticed that when slowing down, the down shift on the auto box is much more noticeable . Also the exhaust sounds a little blowy. I know this code can point to a number of problems but Please if any one has experienced this behaviour before or have any idea what side of things I might be looking at before forking out at a dealer then i would be very very much appreciated, covid hasn't been kind and very low on funds . Thankyou for taking the time to read my thread .

Hi Shane, loads of reasons for this code, first off, check the air intake, I say this due to your comment on exhaust note, it may just be a leak in the plastic pipes, which is quite common.
Good luck.

Hi and Thankyou Jonesy , what is the location of this particular hose please .

sounds like classic symptoms of a split boost pipe to the intercooler, one on each side of the engine going from the turbo to the intercooler. A year ago mine did pretty much exactly the same as your describing.

Easy fix but you need to find which one is split left or right, on mine it was the larger one on the right.

sounds like classic symptoms of a split boost pipe to the intercooler, one on each side of the engine going from the turbo to the intercooler. A year ago mine did pretty much exactly the same as your describing.

Easy fix but you need to find which one is split left or right, on mine it was the larger one on the right.
Thanks Tonygw . I don't suppose you have a picture or something to show these hoses do you please ?
Also realised today that the manual paddle shift doesn't work ! Could this be part of the problem or is this some sort of fail safe to protect the engine ?? . All your help is very much appreciated 🙏

If down in power the paddle shift might be the case it won’t change up , ie if idling at 40 mph it’s not going to go up a gear etc. So hopefully it’s part of same problem, I would sort the the original problem first if I were you.

Get the front of the car off the ground and remove the plastic cover under the bumper and you will find the boost pipe on the N/S of the engine and you can also see if it has split. Very easy to change if it has split as it's a simple clip at either side of the pipe and when I did mine it took longer to get the plastic cover off than it did to change the pipe.

I managed to have enough time to take a look at the car today and low and behold a split in the above mentioned pipe . Called mercedes ..... there under back log with this particular part , even the Germany factory is out of stock .... 4 weeks wait 😵. Called a couple of other places ie euro car parts just incase on the off chance they had one laying around , nope , nothing . So I've had to try and repair it with some thick sticky rubber type tape I had laying around . Find out tomorrow if it works 🤞

Some Gaffer tape will sort you out for now. Look also for this part from other manufacturers (after-market)? Also, it looks like it was rubbing against something - the aircon(?) metal pipe - or is it shiny because you mucked about with it?

I hadn't touched the pipe till after I'd taken the picture and definitely not rubbing on another pipe as there aren't any that close to the section with the split . Plugged in the obd today and came up with code P0101 (see pic) .
I deleted both codes and have taken the car out for a drive yet its still behaving as per my original post with no light on ?? 20210820_115101.jpg

You can buy after market pipes from eBay....... I got mine from my local parts company and its been on the car for 2yrs so don't worry about it being a dealer pipe.

Once you have fitted the pipe clear the codes and you will be good to go.

Once you have fitted the pipe clear the codes and you will be good to go.
Brand new Pipe now fitted courtesy of motor parts direct and both codes erased , original code p0229 gone , code p0101still coming up in "pending codes" on obd reader even with no engine management light on . no change what so ever in the drive/acceleration , there's just no boost ! also realised that car will not rev over 3k revs whilst driving . Tried a forced regen by going for a drive and keeping revs as high as possible but still no change 🤬

Just as I was getting home early hours this morning the EML light came back on so I decided to get pictures of the live data from obd in the hope that someone knows what thier looking at ? What I found was that when the EML light was on it gave me 4 pages of data , I deleted the code and done another live data and only came back with 2 pages , is this normal ?

Attachments

• 20210823_015048.jpg
    20210823_015048.jpg
    906.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210823_015106.jpg
    20210823_015106.jpg
    911.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210823_015116.jpg
    20210823_015116.jpg
    1,001.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210823_015125.jpg
    20210823_015125.jpg
    944.9 KB · Views: 2
These are the 2 pages after I deleted the code

Attachments

• 20210823_015421.jpg
    20210823_015421.jpg
    927.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210823_015428.jpg
    20210823_015428.jpg
    899.1 KB · Views: 0
I'm going to clean the maf sensor as I've read it can get a bit grubby . I'm slightly confused though is there a "MAP" sensor and a "MAF" sensor or are they the same thing ? What sensors are these please

Attachments

• 20210823_120717.jpg
    20210823_120717.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
....Update....
So I cleaned all the sensors I could find with some air flow sensor cleaner , 4 sensors in total . The 2 pictured above , 1 on the n/s of the engine that sits parallel to the suspension about 30cm down into the bay , the left hand screw was a pig to get to and risk of loosing the screw when loose so used a magnet to catch it 😉. And the last one in the plastic section that joins onto the n/s intercooler pipe , accessible via under the car (see pic) . <<<this one was particularly grubby but the cleaner done a very good job with a few sprays , dried all sensors with a hair dryer on cool before re attaching them . My obd couldn't completely wipe the existing code (p0101) , it would delete it from "stored codes" but was always in "pending codes" so was making no difference in the drivability of the car so a mechanic friend of mine came by with a bosch scanner from work and deleted the code completely. It's been 2 days now and car is running perfect , got all my boost back and paddle shift is now working again 🤗.
A big Thankyou to all that helped on this thread and to those who had similar problems on other threads that I had read through 👍

Oh and she flew through her MOT with no advisories 😃

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom