2013 C63 W204 Only Doing 3k per year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bootsboy121

Car
C63
Hi,

Looking for some advice please.

2013 W204, C63 PP, current mileage 19k.

With only 19k on clock is it worth changing the spark plugs as its recommended to be done at 4 years or 42k miles.

My thinking is if its supposed to last for 40k miles surly you dont need to change at 19k.

What do you guys think?

Hi,

With only 19k on clock is it worth changing the spark plugs as its recommended to be done at 4 years or 42k miles.

My thinking is if its supposed to last for 40k miles surly you dont need to change at 19k.

What do you guys think?

I think it’s because they will be difficult to get out if left for long periods of time.

I think it’s because they will be difficult to get out if left for long periods of time.
+1

Personally I wouldn’t risk not having them changed. They’ll continue to work, but as already suggested it’s removing them that will become the problem.

Hi,

What do you guys think?

100% Change them as per service schedule.

As far as I'm aware, spark plugs are mileage dependent? They don't go bad if not used...

My E55 is every 50k miles or 4 yearly.
Had them done in 2018 and they were extremely reluctant to come out.

With a C63 only having 8 plugs, its a no brainer to have them done 4 yearly whatever lower mileage done.

My SLK has 16 plugs , they were changed at about 12 k and 4 years according to the service history and I will have them changed next year at 8 years and about 25 k miles as part of my service plan. Have no intention of trying to save a few pounds and running the risk of problems later down the line

They get stuck

Do they not get stuck because they've been tightened too much and no antiseize been put on the threads?

Must say I've never had an issue with any spark plugs getting stuck even on 10 year old cars

thanks for advice guys, just working out if i should get service plan or go to the stealers with labour only and my parts.

thanks for advice guys, just working out if i should get service plan or go to the stealers with labour only and my parts.

I doubt the stealers will let you supply the parts. Some won't let you supply the oil, even when its MB labelled!
The car is 6 yrs old now. I'd use a good indy and halve the labour charges. The digital service record is still kept up to date.

I doubt the stealers will let you supply the parts. Some won't let you supply the oil, even when its MB labelled!
The car is 6 yrs old now. I'd use a good indy and halve the labour charges. The digital service record is still kept up to date.

Plenty of them allow it near me

Hi,

What do you guys think?

You’ve paid a fair chunk of money to buy a nice car - why scrimp on the maintenance?

I’ll wager you will lose more in value by not maintaining it per schedule than you will save by scrimping down the back of the sofa.

You’ve paid a fair chunk of money to buy a nice car - why scrimp on the maintenance?

I’ll wager you will lose more in value by not maintaining it per schedule than you will save by scrimping down the back of the sofa.

Time will tell

I’d just change them and go with the servicing.

My CLS63 has nearly 18k on it and it’s a 2007. When I take it for a service I go with what’s suggested for its age/mileage. Likelihood is it’s a bit unnecessary to replace certain items but these kinds of cars shouldn’t be fun on a shoe string. :)

Got it done, got the parts myself.

£470 - labour (b service, cabin filters, air filters, spark plugs, rear diff oil change and brake fluid change)
£200 - parts (merc swansea for engine oil, merc edinburgh for the rest)

Stealers want £1150 all in.
saved myself £480

I had the same quandary as you. My 2013 SL63 had only done 12k but was on the original plugs.
According to my service booklet, they should have been included in the service plan I took out but Merc had amended requirements and now they weren't.
After much argument I gave up and did it myself.
Plugs were £70 from GSF and I made up a plug boot extractor from a 17mm spanner as recommended.
The spanner was a complete waste of time - it does not work on an M157 engine as the plugs are too far recessed. The boots get stuck on the plugs and are really difficult to remove without breaking the internal wiring.
In the end I followed advice from a US forum and made up a loop from strong 2mm electrical cable and used an old screwdriver as a lever to pop the covers off. Managed to remove all of them without damage.
Its a fiddly job though and took me most of the morning as I was being ultra cautious.
DON'T use any anti seize on the threads and always use a torque wrench to tighten the plugs.
Also, you'll need a small tin of dielectric grease (eBay) and smear some on the boot opening before replacing them. That should help with future removal.

Russ

Last edited:
Got it done, got the parts myself.

£470 - labour (b service, cabin filters, air filters, spark plugs, rear diff oil change and brake fluid change)
£200 - parts (merc swansea for engine oil, merc edinburgh for the rest)

Stealers want £1150 all in.
saved myself £480

Finding a good Indie is a good shout. Would have cost you less than that at an indie and save yourself the faff of getting the parts yourself ;)

Finding a good Indie is a good shout. Would have cost you less than that at an indie and save yourself the faff of getting the parts yourself ;)

True to word, a great indie has spoken! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom