2013 E Class Estate cracked headlight perspex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rpepper1973

Hi,

I have a 2013 E Class Estate and have a cracked perspex headlight cover. The Mercedes dealership want to replace the whole unit for 770 pounds! Are there magic glues that repair such a thing?

Many thanks,

Richard.

You could seal it or glue it with any number of different things, never going to look ''right'' though IMHO.

Whilst you're investigating your problem you should at least cover the crack with clear tape so you don't get any water ingress potentially damaging the light itself. You don't want to find out that you can have the lens replaced only to discover that the light doesn't work anymore.

There are special cements for Perspex: you could try googling for those. If I remember right, we used to use chloroform to 'stick' Perspex sheets together, but that was in a laboratory, where chemicals like that were easily available. If chloroform gets on the surface of the Perspex it will leave noticeable marks, and it will run everywhere, so I'd avoid it.

I'm also not sure if the headlight really is Perspex or some other formulation, like Lexan. I think that might need a different adhesive.

Surely piecing the damaged parts back together although with a good adhesive, is just going to destroy the integrity of the light output?

I.e, if you cracked your spectacles you wouldn't glue the lenses back together as it would break your vision so to speak

You own a £35k plus car and being tight on a £770 headlamp? I don't see your logic here as that's what you need to see where your going!!!

You own a £35k plus car and being tight on a £770 headlamp? I don't see your logic here as that's what you need to see where your going!!!

Bit harsh imo. You don't know the op bought it new with cash. And in any case, I would have thought a £770 bill would make most people pause to consider options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom