2013 E-Class or Audi A6 S-Line

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bradley Cooper

Car
E Class 220
I'm looking at either model, I will go and test drive, just short on time.
I hear the Audi S-Line are more firmer ride than the AMG E Class, more of a crash bang wallop ride.

Any thoughts/feedback,welcomed.

Thanks

Bradley

Get a Merc.

Unless you are going for some uber RS model, there is NOTHING an Audi can give you that a Skoda Superb can't apart from perceived badge kudos. Which you can get from the Merc.

I haven't driven an Audi since about 2011 but the ones I had as hire cars were all rock-hard suspension.

New or used?

I've always historically avoided Audi due to the harsh ride, but we recently test drove a new S6 which had air suspension (on 20" rims) and it rode better than our existing E class does on 18's. That may be due to the air which is standard on this model and is probably an option on others.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your time, I thought as much. I was looking at a 2012 model Audi A6 S-Line.

I currently have bought a E Class SE, but I am upgrading to the E Class AMG.

Bradley Cooper said:
Thanks guys, really appreciate your time, I thought as much. I was looking at a 2012 model Audi A6 S-Line. I currently have bought a E Class SE, but I am upgrading to the E Class AMG.
Good choice! When you say AMG do you mean AMG car or the AMG sport option?

The new E43 might be something to look at if you want something in the middle!

Ah, not being that up, the model is an E220 CDI AMG sport. I drove the car, apart from the figure hugging sets and the suede trim, and the look outside the drive did not seem as firm as i thought. In fact very similar to my SE.

Ah, not being that up, the model is an E220 CDI AMG sport. I drove the car, apart from the figure hugging sets and the suede trim, and the look outside the drive did not seem as firm as i thought. In fact very similar to my SE.

We currently have one of those, one of the options available when new (at no cost) was to be able to specify the SE suspension on the Sport model.

Direct Control Suspension I think it was called. We did this on our car.

It has the AMG sports suspension, so I am told and the AMG wheels,steering wheel. I also noticed where I have the E/S button, this has E/S/M.

More to go wrong no doubt.

I had a 2014 A6 Avant Black Edition, which is based upon the S-line, but with 21-inch wheels.

The suspension was firm, but not hard, even with those 21-inch wheels. Comfortable in fact, but I'm comparing it to having only driven AMGs for years which I guess means I'm used to a firm ride. There wasn't much in it to be honest.

The A6 itself was incredibly capable. Perhaps too capable. I admired it a lot, for the way it did so many things flawlessly, but I never loved it. It was replaced with an AMG.

Thanks to all for your replies, Bobby I would assume having driven the firmer ride, to me its like you can tell the coin you have driven over, lucky for me that this particular is not like that.

I did drive the Audi A6 Avant SE, it was a smooth ride and smooth gearbox, smoother than the Mercedes, however, the finishing touches,like the nice ambient lighting- the lights under the mirrors, and the sat nav resolution was far better including the finish.
Mercedes have the edge.

Thanks to all for your replies, Bobby I would assume having driven the firmer ride, to me its like you can tell the coin you have driven over, lucky for me that this particular is not like that.

I did drive the Audi A6 Avant SE, it was a smooth ride and smooth gearbox, smoother than the Mercedes, however, the finishing touches,like the nice ambient lighting- the lights under the mirrors, and the sat nav resolution was far better including the finish.
Mercedes have the edge.

Those sorts of things come with differing option packs, I think my A6 had all of those things. It all comes down to personal taste though.

Depending upon which engine you had, the gearbox could be different, but the 8-speed ZF auto in my A6 was a marvel of engineering.

I drive all sort of cars because of my company.

In my opinion I think the A6 have a better looking dash and interior, its autobox select gears a bit better, it doesn't 'think for a second' or revs unnecessarily in normal mode like the merc and it accelerate more smoothly without lurching.

But guess which one I bought? Try look at an A6 alongside an E class AMG sport, you will know which one you want straight away.

ph47mf said:
I drive all sort of cars because of my company. In my opinion I think the A6 have a better looking dash and interior, its autobox select gears a bit better, it doesn't 'think for a second' or revs unnecessarily in normal mode like the merc and it accelerate more smoothly without lurching. But guess which one I bought? Try look at an A6 alongside an E class AMG sport, you will know which one you want straight away.

A w212 facelift amg sport ? ;0))

I drive all sort of cars because of my company.

In my opinion I think the A6 have a better looking dash and interior, its autobox select gears a bit better, it doesn't 'think for a second' or revs unnecessarily in normal mode like the merc and it accelerate more smoothly without lurching.

But guess which one I bought? Try look at an A6 alongside an E class AMG sport, you will know which one you want straight away.
Yes, I know where you are coming from. I guess you bought the Merc. Your comments about the "it doesn't 'think for a second' or revs unnecessarily in normal mode like the merc and it accelerate more smoothly without lurching".

I have experienced this and deemed the car to be faulty,MB did something called adaption, this has improved, but there are still instances of this.

So would the S-Line ride be comparative to the actual Mercedes AMG, rather than the AMG sport?.

So would the S-Line ride be comparative to the actual Mercedes AMG, rather than the AMG sport?.

No, The S-Line is pretty much what The AMG Sport line is with a firmer suspension than the standard.

The RS6 or S6 will be more in line with the Mercedes AMG with a true sports suspension.

Not the A6, but I drove the A5 S-Line Convertible back to back with the E250 CDI AMG Sport. The A5 seats felt like you sat on them rather than in them (not like my mates S5) and was similar in how firm the ride was, but a bid harsher.

Last edited:

There's little between S-line, AMG Sport and "proper" AMG, in terms of ride or firmness of the suspension. Big alloys see to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom