2013 e250 estate 7g gearbox issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveIvatt

Car
2013 e250 AMG line estate
Hi everyone ,
We have a 2013 e250 estate AMG line , when we tow our caravan at a random time when I put my foot down to accelerate the car doesn’t respond , I then use the paddles to manually drop the gears but just seems to rev the engine but doesn’t seem to transfer to the gearbox to accelerate , this happens for possibly 1 minute then all of a sudden the car will accelerate as normal , this happens possibly once/twice on a long journey and rest of time can’t fault it , last time before we set of I did a gearbox reset and it still happened , this was when we were held up in traffic on A1 and once congestion cleared wanted to pull away but it wouldn’t , any help or hints /tips please
Car has 90k on it , last had a gearbox oil service @25k in 2017

Welcom.

The automatic transmission ATF and filter change are due every 5 years or 75,500 miles, and so your 10 years old car is due its second transmission service this year (2023). CORRECTION: it was due last year, i.e. 5 years after 2017 (thanks MrGreedy).

Your issue may be due to low ATF level (in which case the transmission and its radiator should be checked for leaks), or 'burnt' ATF as result of overheating, but it could also be due to an electric or mechanical fault.

For this reason, when servicing the transmission, it is also advisable to ask the garage to use STAR and scan the TCU for any fault codes.

And, towing a caravan can place additional stress on the transmission and cause overheating or a torque converter slip, so you should check that you are not exceeding the permissible towing weight for your car.

Also, keep the transmission in Sport, not Comfort, it will shift up at lower engine rpm.

Last edited:
It's probably the 7G+ box. Oil interval for the box under normal conditions is something like 70k miles or 5 years, whichever is sooner.

Possibly towing a caravan is harder duty than normal, so probably should be changed even under the normal duty.

You might also be slightly low on oil, and this is causing the slip. An oil change will reset to correct level of course.

Welcom.

The automatic transmission ATF and filter change are due every 5 years or 75,500 miles, and so your 10 years old car is due its second transmission service this year (2023).

Last service was 2017, so it should have been 2022, not the end of 2023. The first service in 2017 was slightly early (no harm for sooner changes of course).

Welcom.

The automatic transmission ATF and filter change are due every 5 years or 75,500 miles, and so your 10 years old car is due its second transmission service this year (2023).

Your issue may be due to low ATF level (in which case the transmission and its radiator should be checked for leaks), or 'burnt' ATF as result of overheating, but it could also be due to an electric or mechanical fault.

For this reason, when servicing the transmission, it is also advisable to ask the garage to use STAR and scan the TCU for any fault codes.

And, towing a caravan can place additional stress on the transmission and cause overheating or a torque converter slip, so you should check that you are not exceeding the permissible towing weight for your car.

Also, keep the transmission in Sport, not Comfort, it will shift up at lower engine rpm.
Hi Markjay
Thanks for your reply , I am going to get the gearbox serviced in the new year , on our last trip once home I must admit the gearbox did smell hot and a burnt oily smell , I believe the tow limit for the car is 2000kg , our van is approx 1650kg , the gearbox options are E,S, M , always used it on E , not towing until I’ve had it serviced now and then I’ll use the S option in future thanks
Regards Dave

It's probably the 7G+ box. Oil interval for the box under normal conditions is something like 70k miles or 5 years, whichever is sooner.

Possibly towing a caravan is harder duty than normal, so probably should be changed even under the normal duty.

You might also be slightly low on oil, and this is causing the slip. An oil change will reset to correct level of course.
Thanks Mr Greedy , as said in reply to Markjay I’m getting it serviced in Jan
Regards Dave

This is from Parkers:

Screenshot-20231203-142945-Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom