2013 E250 rear brake caliper mounting bolt access

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevious

Car
E250 Coupe
I'm replacing the brake disks and pads on my 2013 E250 Coupe. I did the fronts no problem and had intended to do the rears last weekend, however the upper caliper mounting bolt is obscured by a vertical tie bar of some sort, and clearance is limited such that you can't get a 37mm long 18mm 1/2" drive socket onto the bolt head. I've considered buying a shallower 3/8" socket but I doubt that there will be room left to accommodate a ratchet on top. Of course I realise that I could utilise a ring spanner and a hammer. But does anyone else have a more elegant solution?

You need a new ring spanner . Put the ring on the bolt and possition a small bottle jack under the spanner end ,then jack it up nice and slow.You need penetrating oil on the bolt it will help. Thats how i removed mine ,i had no other way to get in there .

Thanks for the suggestion however I seem to recall that movement of the spanner was also restricted allowing movement only between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock (no jokes thanks). I'll investigate again at the weekend and assess whether or not the bottle jack suggestion is viable. Cheers.

If the rear suspension is the same as the W204 [ SAME CHASSIS UNDERNEATH] that's probably the rear anti-roll bar drop link. You might have better luck by removing this at one end which ever is easiest to get at. You should then be able to swivel the link out of the way to gain proper access to the rear brakes?
pic04.jpg

or
Mercedes-Benz W204 Rear Brake Pad Replacement - (2008-2014) C250, C300, C350 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

pic05.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Graeme, the chassis components certainly look just like mine, especially the drop-link. Which is indeed the component which is blocking access to the caliper mounting bolt. I had considered the possibility of detaching the drop-link, although I wasn't sure whether is was perhaps under tension and would be problematic to reattach?

Thanks Graeme, the chassis components certainly look just like mine, especially the drop-link. Which is indeed the component which is blocking access to the caliper mounting bolt. I had considered the possibility of detaching the drop-link, although I wasn't sure whether is was perhaps under tension and would be problematic to reattach?
Should not be a problem.

Mercedes-Benz W204 Rear Stabilizer Bar and Drop Link Replacement - (2008-2014) C250, C300, C350 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

Thanks Graeme for sharing your thoughts and the links to the useful maintenance guides. I'll post again when I have a window of opportunity to finish the job.

Hi,

just a quick update for the benefit of others, who may read this thread. And thanks again to grober and optimusprime for sharing your suggestions.

Frustrated at having to remove/detach additional peripheral components, I opted to use a 'spanner extender'. This doubled the torque being applied by the ring spanner, and the caliper mounting bolts were removed just fine.

Regards
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom