2013 E320 Cabrio - mechanism noise from rear cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blowpipe

Car
2019 E220d Cabrio
Just want a sanity check on the the amount of noise I should expect when the rear panel closes at the end of the open/close roof operation.

We get a very noticeable metallic 'clunk' - is this normal or should it be much quieter?

I get a small clunk too, it's the hooks of the rear panel pulling the rear window down.

Hi Guys
Just seen your thread and thought I would contribute (!)
I've just bought a lovely 2012 E350 CDI Cab and have to say that the loud metallic thump/clump when the rear panel closes whilst CLOSING the roof seems very alarming, as though something doesn't fit properly. The noise from the same panel when OPENING the roof is a bit less, but still not what I would expect from a £40+k car !! (when new). Whilst showing the car to a mate, his comment when he heard it was "what was THAT!"
It's going to hospital tomorrow for a check up !
Will report more later

Interested to hear what comes back from your check up as sometimes mine makes the same sort of noise (also creaks quite a bit but hoping that a little bit of WD40 magic might resolve that one! Haha!) Interested to see if there is actually a problem or if that's the noise that they just make when they get to a certain age!?!

Hi Andy
Car went into MB today and they say that the noise IS a problem and they know how to fix. They can't get round to it until 11th/12th July, so have it booked in for then. I promise to update on the result as soon as it is back with me after that.
I will make a video + sound recording of the before and after noises so that I can compare and comment
Mark

Last edited:
Ah right, that isn't good then!! Hopefully it isn't an expensive fix, yeah it would be good if you're able to update on what they find the problem to be.

Thanks

Hi Andy
Luckily for me it is the garage I bought the car from (a non MD dealer) that will be picking up any bill. I will try to find out the cost and the cause when I get through this and keep you updated. More later.
Cheers
Mark

Used mine a couple of times since posting and the noise seems to of disappeared, or at the very least dropped considerably! Hopefully it doesn't return!! Hope you managed to get yours sorted!

Hmmm - Merc say its's normal - I'll see if I can try another car's roof sometime soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom