2013 Mercedes-Benz E300 BlueTEC HYBRID - 67.3Mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
[YOUTUBE]_5x2qAOZEhE&[/YOUTUBE]

The 2013 Mercedes-Benz E300 BlueTEC HYBRID has arrived in UK and the first unit ran a test to prove that this really is the most efficient E-Class ever made. Behind the wheel was ex-rally driver Mick Linford who started the journey on the main runway at Newquay Cornwall Airport where he tested the acceleration and top speed of the vehicle, performing the 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) sprint in “a little over seven seconds” before hitting a maximum speed of 136 mph (219 km/h).
After that the car was driven normally for 830 miles (1335.76 km) to the Wick Airport in Scotland. It was a two-day journey with real-world driving conditions, challenging weather and heavy traffic. On this trip, the E300 BlueTEC HYBRID managed to return 67.3 mpg UK (56.04 mpg US or 4.19 liters / 100 km). This whole trip was done with only a tank of fuel and upon arrival there was still a quarter of fuel left in the tank, meaning that it theoretically could have achieved a range of more than 1,100 miles (1770 km).
As a reminder, the car is powered by a 2.1-liter diesel engine coupled to a lithium-ion battery-powered electric motor and the 7G-Tronic Plus automatic gearbox. The conventional engine generates 201 bhp (150 kW) and 369 lb-ft (500 Nm) of torque, while the electric motor adds an extra 20 kW of power.

70mph at zero revs is some feat, I guess it must be on electric then, so must be using less than 20kw of power, which is about right.

Will it only be available with that engine or will they bolt on more electric motors across the range?

I can't see it being on more engines as it's supposed to be an economy version.

Maybe a C63 hybrid...should do 19mpg...

If it is refined to drive, I might consider one.

I can't see it being on more engines as it's supposed to be an economy version.

Maybe a C63 hybrid...should do 19mpg...

If it is refined to drive, I might consider one.

Nah, the only thing that stops C63 drivers hearing the rattles is the exhaust note...can you imagine the complaints once the whisper quiet electric motor takes over?!? :devil:

The other interesting stat. is 109g/km. Makes a big difference to the amount of tax you will pay running one a company car compared to E250 CDI

What's really unusual about this one is the size of the battery pack - it's tiny. Seems to do the job though!

Now that is a terrific Hybrid! look at most of the others they are bolted on to petrol engines (thinking 5 series and lexus here) and totally dilute the result. The E250 is already a very economical car for it's class this is an incredible little model.

I do notice they had to ditch the 18" rims though, they would have trimmed the range by about 150 miles I reckon due to the rolling resistance they create?

I think the title should read MPG not MPH :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom