2013 SL-Class revised for UK market

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class revised for UK market

Significant changes to the SL-Class from June 2013 production
SL 350 and SL 500 now available as AMG Sport models
Additional standard equipment added to SL 63 AMG
SL 350 AMG Sport from £69,960 OTR and SL 500 AMG Sport from £79,970 OTR
The SL-Class is now even more luxurious, thanks to enhanced standard equipment and key exterior appointments, mixing style with comfort and advanced engineering.
Both the SL 350 and SL 500 now gain AMG Sport status, which includes additional standard equipment with a combined value of £6,625, including the AMG Sports Package for both the interior and exterior, an electric glass sunroof, and Parkronic with Active Park Assist.
The exterior AMG Sports Package comprises elegant 19” AMG five-spoke alloy wheels; sports suspension lowered by 10mm, with revised damper settings; AMG bodystyling for side skirts and front and rear aprons; a body-coloured boot lip; upgraded braking system (SL 350 only) with perforated rear brake disks; and grey brake calipers with ‘Mercedes-Benz’ lettering.
Joining the upgraded suspension and braking systems, the 7G-Tronic Plus transmission with ‘S’ mode now features modified shift points. Inside, the SLS now benefits from sports seats with perforated leather, verticle fluting and designo Platinum White Pearl piping on door armrests, centre console, seat side bolsters and head restraints; sports steering wheel with silver gear shift paddles and perforated leather in grip areas; chequered flag-design instrument cluster; AMG floor mats; and black fabric roof lining.
The paint and interior choice have also been updated to now include one non-metallic paint and five metallic paints, including new Polar White as standard, with the cost option of two addition colours, including new Hyacinth Red (£690). Black leather is now standard in the range, with a cost option of Bengal Red or Porcelain nappa leather (£710), and standard trim is now in Light Brushed Aluminium, with Black Ash Wood available as a £345 option.
The SL 63 AMG, also benefits of an electric panoramic glass sunroof and Parktronic with Active Park Assist as additions to the standard equipment specifications, with a value of £1,500. There are no changes to the SL 65 AMG.
The SL 350 AMG Sport, from £69,960 OTR, SL 500 AMG Sport, from £79,970 OTR, and SL 63 AMG from £110,785 OTR, are available from June 2013 production.

1749095275542585888.jpg

for a Sport model, price is reduced by about £10,000

It is quite revealing that a 2013 SL500 is £79,970 whereas a 1995-1999 one was about £100,000.

Consider inflation over the 20 year period and either the customer is getting a hell of a bargain today or Mercedes are building to a much more stringent budget compared to 20 years ago. It would be interesting to compare margins now and then.

I imagine economies of scale will play a part and aluminium manufacturing has also become cheaper over time.

I imagine economies of scale will play a part and aluminium manufacturing has also become cheaper over time.

In terms of economies of scale, the number of new registrations for SL500's in the UK has been almost flat since 2001

2001 - 113
2013 - 135

Aluminium has to be more expensive to make than the steel used in the R129's?

I'm not sure why I thought mid 90s SL were aluminium - my mistake.

Ah well..

Still ...even at that price, you can not polish the turd!

It is quite revealing that a 2013 SL500 is £79,970 whereas a 1995-1999 one was about £100,000.

Consider inflation over the 20 year period and either the customer is getting a hell of a bargain today or Mercedes are building to a much more stringent budget compared to 20 years ago. It would be interesting to compare margins now and then.

This applies to any Mercedes - and possibly any car.

My 1996 E320 Coupe was north of £45k when new. Go for a E250 CDI Blue EFFICIENCY (diesel) for broadly similar performance and you'll part with less than £35k. If you must have a 6 cylinder petrol with far superior performance, then an E350 Blue EFFICIENCY is still under £40k.

The only comparable options/gadgets which mine has, is a sunroof, HWW and ACC. which would add another £2k to an otherwise poverty spec car.

Clearly you're getting a helluva lot of motor for 000's less cash.

Thing is, MB's move to "better value" means that the brand has lost much of it's exclusivity.

Of course, others would argue MB previously charged like a rhino for their cars...:D

when the R231 SL first came out, I hated it.

now I love it .. it has unique and clean styling, not too fussy face compared to other recent Mercs, and lots of presence.

plus interior is lovely, as is the optional electric wind deflector

the number of new registrations for SL500's in the UK has been almost flat since 2001

2001 - 113
2013 - 135

but there's still 2/3rd's of 2013 to go ...

I thought you'd like it - it has side grills!

haha

side grills indeed..

its just a very badly proportioned car.

compared to the previous model, this one doesnt look right

seen three on the road, and they are back end heavy, the front is like a snout, and the two irritators for me are

1. the dash is a complete mess.. DEFO NOT A MASTER CLASS IN FLUID DESIGN
2. the front grill, for this and the slk, have mesh plastic top half with the holes cut out, and solid mesh design with no cut out, just beneath the star.. why.. i mean seriously, bentley make a marvolus job of their metal grills, but mercedes just looks horrid.. when the light reflects on the front, the grill just looks like a bodge job

Mercedes-Benz-SL500_2013_1600x1200_wallpaper_3b.jpg

You have hit it spot on DEL.. better value = less exclusivity = more choice from competitors = some of them do a better job = are the new models the type of car i want, or am i better off getting a golf and spend the savings on a pagoda or 107... hmmmm

2. the front grill, for this and the slk, have mesh plastic top half with the holes cut out, and solid mesh design with no cut out, just beneath the star.. why.. i mean seriously, bentley make a marvolus job of their metal grills, but mercedes just looks horrid.. when the light reflects on the front, the grill just looks like a bodge job

easy fix .. swap for AMG grill

What is the best looking car you can buy from a Dealer Boss, the best looking current car?

WDB124066 said:
What is the best looking car you can buy from a Dealer Boss, the best looking current car?

From any dealer and marque or just from Mercedes?

From any dealer and marque or just from Mercedes?

Mercedes Dealer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom