2013 W204 C63 Juddering When Cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TSNCFC

Car
2013 W204 C63 Saloon
Hi all,

About 6 weeks ago i purchased a 2013 W204 C63 with 28k on the clock. I live at the bottom of a slight hill and when the car has just started and cold and i go to increase acceleration the car judders and the rev counter starts to bounce slightly. I then get to the top of the hill (around 50 meters), pull out of the junction and the car is fine from that point onwards and never does this again.

Has anyone any idea or experiences of there car not liking cold starts or juddering when initially pulling off? If i am very gentle with the accelerator it doesnt do it but any slight push of the right foot and it happens, not sure if its a spark plug issue, gearbox or if its just a trait they have when initially cold and pulling off?

Any help would be great!

You can put it in 'D1' by pulling on the left manual steering wheel lever.
Just select (D1) 1st gear for setting off, just for a few miles, then it will be ok on its own after its warmed up.
The problem is the viscosity of the gearbox oil when cold, it won't do it when its warmed up.
Its basically a slipping clutch until its moving, when its cold, the star clutch finds it harder to slip, than when its warm and the oil is thinner.

If you select D1 it will only use 1st gear so you then have to manually change up or hold up to re-engage the full set. It's easier just to switch to Sport if you want to start in first, although even that will start in 2nd for the first minute or so.

Mine doesn't judder when cold & neither did my previous wagon. There is a delay when reversing off my drive & then selecting D before it pulls away, but no juddering.

Does it take a few seconds when pulling away from cold for the car to move forward?

You can put it in 'D1' by pulling on the left manual steering wheel lever.
Just select (D1) 1st gear for setting off, just for a few miles, then it will be ok on its own after its warmed up.
The problem is the viscosity of the gearbox oil when cold, it won't do it when its warmed up.
Its basically a slipping clutch until its moving, when its cold, the star clutch finds it harder to slip, than when its warm and the oil is thinner.
Yes the car was always in comfort and setting off in 2nd, since going into manual and first gear this seems to of solved it, sounds like nothing to worry about, thank you!

Does it take a few seconds when pulling away from cold for the car to move forward?
No it’s pretty instant, i had a bmw 435d before this and the gearbox is nowhere near as quick and responsive as that car but I put that down to the age and type of box it is and hopefully not any issues with the car! It does now seem solved since manually putting the car into 1st instead of pulling off in 2nd in comfort so hopefully all is fine

Mine does exact the same
If you ease of the revs slightly that stops it too
It only lasts about 30 seconds til oil get flowing

It was MAF from memory (this was 8 years ago LOL)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom