2014 C63 - Clunk when steering and odd noise when driving - Dealer says Driveshaft?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rox10h

Car
2014 C63 Saloon
Hi All

my 2014 C63 has sprung up two issues which I'm unsure are related. Basically, issue one is a horrible clunking sound when turning the steering wheel when the car is stood still (to get out of a space etc). It is a horrid noise.. it feels like the wheel is skipping across a sloppy or loose surface if that makes sense? Once the car is warm this noise does seem to vanish.. its very intermittent.

The second issue is a 'whirring' noise coming from, what seems, the front drivers wheel. i can hear this whirring noise up to say 50mph, after that the noise seems to disappear into the general road noise of the car travelling at higher speed. i can hear the noise turning with the wheel if that makes sense, so what sprung to mind was a wheel bearing perhaps? if i accelerate, occasionally i can feel a very slight vibration in the pedal. If i come off the accelerator and just let it roll, the noise stands out a mile. it sounds like a very worn out tyre (checked them all and thier all meaty!). i don't feel anything when i brake, it doesn't pull left or right (drastically, but does tramline along the road a bit which i think is normal for these cars), and it doesn't vibrate or have any drama under breaking.

When i described this to the local dealer today, The service manager told me it sounded severe - and said both issues sound like they relate to a driveshaft issue. i thought it was minor, but this obviously put the poopers up me. He said it needs to be looked at ASAP, however, i can't book into the dealership for 2-3 weeks, and instead gave me an 0800 number which was for Mercedes Emergency Recovery. When i described the problem to them on the phone, they basically told me to naff off that it wasn't an emergency and to instead go back to the dealer to book it in as the car didn't sound like it would put me in any danger or the car wasn't left open to severe damage. So both dealer and emergency call centre are both telling me different things.

For reference, Its a 2014 car, Bought from Mercedes Warrington in july last year with 11700 miles having one service under its belt. Its now on 18,500 miles and is under the used approved Mercedes Warranty still, and the manufacturers warranty, which i assume just run side by side.

Any ideas whats going on here guys? Do these symptoms really sound like a driveshaft issue? i felt like my local dealer didn't really want to do the warranty work on my car hence telling me to ring the emergency number lol.

Sounds like both issues will be down to tyres! Because of the size and camber of the front suspension the tyres will what's called 'skip' when turning at low speed in cold temperatures say below 7°.

What tyre are you running? The noise you describe when driving just sounds like road noise from cheap tyres

Sounds like both issues will be down to tyres! Because of the size and camber of the front suspension the tyres will what's called 'skip' when turning at low speed in cold temperatures say below 7°.

What tyre are you running? The noise you describe when driving just sounds like road noise from cheap tyres.

oh right - I'm on Conti Sportcontact 5's up front, and have the contact 6 up rear.

hardly a cheap tyre, thier OEM spec..

just to clarify its not low speed thier skipping, its at a standstill. the 'whirring' noise at low speed seems to only from from the drivers side front wheel. i agree, the road noise sounds exactly like worn out tyres or cheap chinese specials... but thier not lol.

Whirring noise sounds unusual and should be looked at. The skipping at low speed when cold is normal and a characteristic, all c63s do this. Best to book in under warranty when you can.

Whirring noise sounds unusual and should be looked at. The skipping at low speed when cold is normal and a characteristic, all c63s do this. Best to book in under warranty when you can.

I agree I recently too mine in for the same reason and the dealer said that's how most mercs are. So I wouldn't worry too much on issue number one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the car is in with the main dealer now (Cardiff Gate).

i left my car there, they paid for a taxi to take me to my office, and no im waiting for Europcar who supply the courtesy car.

not to sound snobby here, but what would i get as a courtesy car? i have a drive to london tommorow and i really dont fancy that in a diesel fiesta or something lol.

the service manager kept saying it would be like for like but i cant see an AMG turning up to my office!

Well, the car is in with the main dealer now (Cardiff Gate).

i left my car there, they paid for a taxi to take me to my office, and no im waiting for Europcar who supply the courtesy car.

not to sound snobby here, but what would i get as a courtesy car? i have a drive to london tommorow and i really dont fancy that in a diesel fiesta or something lol.

the service manager kept saying it would be like for like but i cant see an AMG turning up to my office!

I got a brand new S350, my wife didn't want me to hand it back.

Hi All

my 2014 C63 has sprung up two issues which I'm unsure are related. Basically, issue one is a horrible clunking sound when turning the steering wheel when the car is stood still (to get out of a space etc). It is a horrid noise.. it feels like the wheel is skipping across a sloppy or loose surface if that makes sense? Once the car is warm this noise does seem to vanish.. its very intermittent.

The second issue is a 'whirring' noise coming from, what seems, the front drivers wheel.

I don't know these cars but does a C63 have front drive shafts?

Offside front wheel bearing.

Or the wheel bolts are slack.

Europcar Cardiff gave me a GLE350d when my c63 was in last year.

It's just been serviced and had a CLA shooting brake for the day from Sinclair.

Its that skipping at low speed, or as the OP says, skipping at No speed ?

R

So!

I was given a BMW 220d Convertible (ha!) for my courtesy car. It got me to london fine and was ok to drive, i'd rather have had a C Class but Europcar apparently had nothing left, it was that or a mini cooper. it had four wheels and a steering wheel though eh!

On to my C63 - I had specifically told the service manager that i had checked wheel bolts were tight, and also checked my front tyre tread - they are low, but still within legal limits. He said it wouldn't make a difference so i agreed.

Later in the day a technician called and low and behold, they have said the noise is probably down to my front tyres as they see no mechanical issues with the car at all. Apparently they have worn oddly, not prematurely on the insides as normal, but they have 'stepped', giving the juddering effect when driving. He said this was from enthusiastic driving but i didn't really agree - unless someone could tell me otherwise i dont see how planting my foot to the floor effects the front tyres? (regarding the way they wear atleast!).

I was told to fit new tyres this week, and if the noise is still there then i need to go back. if it has vanished then i guess it was tires!

Very happy with how Mercedes approached it - overly cautious but i cant fault them for that. What i can fault, and which boiled my blood, is that i turned up to Mercedes at 5.02pm Saturday evening after bombing back home from London to get my car, for the dealership to be just closed. I had called them 20mins before hand to say i MAY be minutes late but should be on time, to which the receptionist told me after putting me on hold for 10 minutes talking it through in great detail with a manger that everyone wanted to go home for the rugby so no one was prepared to stay. Fair enough, but i was only asking for 5 minutes and thats if i was actually going to be late. The fact i actually got there at 5.02pm and caught the finance director leaving wound me up a little - i explained the situation to him and he agreed it was a bit naughty of them and he stayed till 5.25pm looking for my keys, only to say he couldn't get into the safe that they were in. Couldn't fault him at all for trying. (John Daniel for anyone who uses Cardiff Gate Mercedes - a very helpful man).

So yeh - i had to go back to Cardiff sunday to get my car and drop the 2 series off and did politely put my thoughts across to the manager there. Not what i expected owning a premium product from a premium dealership but nevermind!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom