2014 E Class C207 DAB issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k.dawson1

Car
2016 C Class Sport Premium Plus
Hi all,

I have given up taking my car back to my local Mercedes dealership to sort out the reception of DAB, as you all know there’s many threads on here regarding this well known issue. They have replaced the antenna, amp and software has been updated, there is improvement but still bloody awful lol.

Can I fit my own glass mounted DAB aerial? Does the radio need to send a voltage etc, as always the technical guy at Mercedes is very vague on this he says you fit one and see if it works, but I have no idea if I plug the aerial directly into the radio or if there is a separate DAB module hidden in the car somewhere.

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin

The tuner sends 7.8v (about) as a phantom feed (up the coax). You need a phantom fed antenna that works at 7.8v (so most 12v antenna will not work) and has a FAKRA connector on the end, or a SMB which you may need to file down a bit.
The tuner has a double fakra coax - you want the fakra that is nearest the edge of the unit.

Richard

Hi RIchard,

Many thanks for this information it’s really useful, do you sell this type of antenna and in your opinion do you think it will improve the reception, though I’m sure it couldn’t make it any worse lol.

Regards,

Kevin

I do not know whether to create a new thread on this issue or just talk about it here. There are too many threads on this issue, but perhaps you guys will help.

2015 E250 - all stock items and no modifications. I have noticed that for the most part the DAB reception is okay. If I stay local in my city it is not really an issue - very occasional drop out but it sorts itself out very quickly.

My main area of frustration is my A19 commute. So, everything is fine until I get over the Middlesborough flyover bridge (I am going Southbound toward York). Northallerton and Thirsk reception is very bad for SDL National and BBC National. I listen to ABS 90's a lot and it has just changed this week from local stations to SDL National - which is annoying because anything on those two I basically cannot listen to for 10 minutes until after I pass Thormanby in Thirsk. Local reception is fine (Leeds, Tyne&Wear etc).

I have heard of many people complaining about the reception but I do not know how bad their story is. As I say, mine is really not that bad except for that 10 minute window where SDLNational and BBC national do not work very well at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom