2014 E Class Rust!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maco

Car
2021 A220D AMG Executive Saloon.
As many of you know I picked up a 2014 E250 a few weeks back.
Just Sen cleaning it today & I've found speckles of rust in bid patches on both sides of the car, doors wings arches and sills.
It's not red either it's white, supposedly there's a problem with the red ones!

Anyway, just spoke to the body shop and supposedly it sounds like a acid rain problem which isn't covered under warranty??? Just spent £20,000 on a car Nd now they saying I may need to spend £1000's on paint?

Any pictures of it mate?

Provided the car hasn't been painted, if the car isn't rain proof, acid or not, I would assume it's reasonable to think it would be covered. Was the bodyshop independent?

I'd still take it to the dealership.

Are you sure it's rust?
Not some other contamination on top of your paintwork?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Acid rain.

Lol.

Panic over guys, think I over reacted when the bloke on the phone said it wasn't under warranty.

Just been to the Mercedes body shop at Teesside & had it looked at. Basically it's contamination on the paintwork from either something we've drove over and maybe been parked near to a industrial chimney etc.
They used something called clay bar or cleaner bar. Produced by 3M. It's basically playdo. You spray on some soapy water then rub the area with the bar & that's it, it's gone.
They wouldn't do all of it for me, but it's roughly only £15. Looks like I'm busy this weekend

Clay bar is a fantastic tool and everyone should have one in their car cleaning ****nal

Make sure there's plenty of soapy water while claying to minimise scratching. I'd be tempted to light polish too, followed by a wax or sealant.
Header over to the detailing section for guidance in this area.

Doesn't alter the fact that Merc's in general still rust, when other Manuf's around them don't!

E Class and Sprinter Vans in particular! :(

Got all excited that finally Mercedes are building cars like they used to in the good old days but it turns out to be a demented bodyshop talking total bull.

Shame...

Are you sure it's rust?
Not some other contamination on top of your paintwork?

I did think that initially but assumed a bodyshop would have gauged that!

Sounds like some Iron-X is the order of the day!

You should really never leave the car out in case of acid rain and other contamination from nuclear fall out from Chernobyl.

I'd actually love to know what we've driven over, there's certainly no industrial chimneys etc near me or my partners work so it's not that.

Easterly winds from Teesside, Billingham etc?

Every car in the north east would be a mess if this was the case :D
I don't understand how it's happened, this whole parked near a industrial chimney thing is bull****... I'm going to keep a very close eye on It, just in case Mercedes have tried to pull a fast one.
I'll take some photos tomorrow

Years ago when I worked in South East London parked cars used to suffer from brake dust contamination from the numerous elevated rail tracks. The recommendation then was a weak solution of oxalic acid crystals in warm water.

It sounds exactly like iron contamination rather than rust. Before you head for a clay bar, try a product called Iron-X by CarPro... it'll dissolve the contamination rather than you having to remove it mechanically. It stinks though!

A quick word of warning if you do go down the clay route... unless you are meticulous in your method, and use a very mild clay, your paint may need some polishing after claying. You'll most probably end up with fairly noticeable 'swirling'... I'm talking about the type that the average person notices, not just the detailing nuts!

In short, be careful with that clay - it's very easy to do more harm than good - and keep it well lubed with soapy water.

Last edited:
Every car in the north east would be a mess if this was the case :D
I don't understand how it's happened, this whole parked near a industrial chimney thing is bull****... I'm going to keep a very close eye on It, just in case Mercedes have tried to pull a fast one.
I'll take some photos tomorrow
It's not bull**** my dads car was effected once when a filter in a industrial chimney failed, the company paid for all the effected cars to be polished.
The factory involved made street furniture and the cars were covered in a sort of orange dust.

Might not be bull**** for your dad but it is for me, I live in a tiny village that doesn't even have a shop never mind anything industrial.
As for when it's parked at work, again it's a relatively small town with no factory's anywhere near

Who would sell cars for a living?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom