2015-2017 C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UrbanM

Car
C220d AMG LINE Premium Plus
I want a C63.
2015-2017
Up to 40k.
FMBSH
My son has an A35. He insists I should buy the “S” version.
Discuss.

To expand a little. I said the above because the seats are the thing you'll notice the most between the two models. Some people get on fine with the buckets and others find them uncomfortable.

The extra power can be gained and more from a simple remap if you feel short changed, but I doubt you will. The S has 390/360mm brakes where the non-S has 360/330mm. Both systems are good, brakes are a little cheaper on the smaller size and if you have the S it's 19" wheels minimum, not so good if you like a set of 18"s with some winter tyres as well.

Other differences include active engine mounts on the S and the S gets an electronically controlled limited slip differential instead of the purely mechanical unit in the non-S.

For me, I'd get the S but there are plenty of people happily enjoying the non-S too.

I’m on my second base model. One of my best pals has the S and I do his servicing. I’ve done some long journeys in the S and my back won’t live with the seats. The electronic diff is clever but, as an old git who has spent a long time on track with caterhams and bmw m3s, the old fashioned lsd of the non S model meets my requirements without the need of an electronic nanny. They are both great, but the seats comment basically nails it.

I have a 66 plate garden variety non-S and am more than satisfied with the mere 476 bhp and mechanical lsd.
I quite like the fact that the engine and transmission are very under stressed in this model because however hard I choose to drive/abuse it, it's still well within the capabilities of the mechanical bits (not suggesting that the S version isn't strong also).
It's also very comfortable when I need to take the oldies out !

I want a C63.
2015-2017
Up to 40k.
FMBSH
My son has an A35. He insists I should buy the “S” version.
Discuss.
Get the 'S' - why wouldn't you if you're spending the money on a C63? The buckets are super comfortable once adjusted, more power, bigger brakes, trick-diff etc. No brainer in my opinion, but then I am biased ;)

Get the 'S' - why wouldn't you if you're spending the money on a C63? The buckets are super comfortable once adjusted, more power, bigger brakes, trick-diff etc. No brainer in my opinion, but then I am biased ;)
It comes down to what you're going to use the car for.
Unless you go on the track regularly, how much of the extra power (510 vs 476) can you use effectively on the road, the brakes on the cooking version are more than adequate and the diff does exactly what it's supposed to... but then maybe I'm biased too !
Just make sure you get the switchable exhaust (standard on the S (I think) but not on all models).

It comes down to what you're going to use the car for.
Unless you go on the track regularly, how much of the extra power (510 vs 476) can you use effectively on the road, the brakes on the cooking version are more than adequate and the diff does exactly what it's supposed to... but then maybe I'm biased too !
Just make sure you get the switchable exhaust (standard on the S (I think) but not on all models).
My primary response to that would be - more power is never a bad thing, even if you don’t use it, its there just in case :) Also the switchable exhaust isn’t standard on the S, took me a while to find a saloon with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom