2015 C200 seized engine 93k miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Luke87

Car
Mercedes C 200
Just trying to work out if it’s just me. I purchased a 2015 C 200 from a dealership it was 3 years old on my purchase.

car was in for a service with MB on the 11th June. On the 12th July the car wouldn’t start. Mercedes Engineer came out and said it needs to go back to the work shop to find out why.

MB had it and called me saying they need to strip down the engine to find out why it has seized in order for me to get any contribution from MB. Stripped the top block all fine called me again had to strip the bottom part all in that’s £1900 for them to strip the engine.
Turns out it’s a seized con rod bearing or somthing essentially engine is seized and needs to be replaced at the cost of £9,557 inclusive of the £1900 diagnostics fee.

just me or should this really not be somthing that should happen? Oh and MB contribution was £1500 lol

essentially the engineer I spoke to said this is a faulty engine could have been faulty foe a week or since it was built but it’s a one off. My mind says this should be somthing MB should replace due to it being faulty?

What a horror buddy , did you purchase the car from a Mercedes Dealership ? On what date did you buy it ?

Sorry to hear this.

The M274 is a very reliable engine.

Did you check the engine oil level before the car was towed away?

This isn't another "new E Class coupe with petrol in the diesel" ???????????????????????

God , I hope not . That one went on forever and I can't even remember if we had a result , kind of lost the will to carry on following that one ...

God , I hope not . That one went on forever and I can't even remember if we had a result , kind of lost the will to carry on following that one ...
I don't think there was..... just lots of speculation?!

Well of course the op is upset,I know I would be,this is a example of maybe not going to MB,if this car had been taken to a ordinary garage they would have dropped the sump and inspected the con rods and crank,spotted the problem as it is the op is in for £1900 just to look at it and tell him what would have been found in two hours at a old fashioned garage,I cannot see a good outcome to this problem now.

Sorry to hear this.

The M274 is a very reliable engine.

Did you check the engine oil level before the car was towed away?
The 2l M274 seems to be a reliable engine in this country, but they seem to have had a fair few problems in the States. As far as I can see on the forums, its usually piston trouble.

Ernie

Surely filled with MB approved oil the engine wouldn't seize in a modern car, the synthetic oil maybe past its best after 20,000 miles but still lubricate effectively up to 40,000 miles.

The 2l M274 seems to be a reliable engine in this country, but they seem to have had a fair few problems in the States. As far as I can see on the forums, its usually piston trouble.

Ernie

I saw "wrist pins" (which I assume is little ends) wearing loose on pre Apr 2015 engines. Wonder if there could be a connection (well, there is one via the con rod!)?

Mind you, reading the American forums it's amazing the OPs timing chain hadn't failed by now.

I saw "wrist pins" (which I assume is little ends) wearing loose on pre Apr 2015 engines. Wonder if there could be a connection (well, there is one via the con rod!)?

Mind you, reading the American forums it's amazing the OPs timing chain hadn't failed by now.

On the M274? AFAIK the timing chain was a M271 issue.

On the M274? AFAIK the timing chain was a M271 issue.
There haven't been any timing chain problems with either the M274 1.6l or 2.0l versions that I've seen on our forums.

However, in the UK, relative to the US, we will have fewer of these than the US who favour petrol over diesel. I think there has been one piston failure on these forums that I can remember.

Ernie

According to 'how many left', around 13,000 W205 C200 2.0L petrol were registered in the UK.

This doesn't take into account the W204 saloon (2012-2014) and coupe (2012-2015).

So that's probably a total of 15,000+ cars sold in the UK with the M274 engine?

Not to mention the FWD variant M270.

I think that we would have heard of any common issues by now? The only one I am aware of is a failing thermostat (which unfortunately is an expensive repair on the M274).

According to 'how many left', around 13,000 W205 C200 2.0L petrol were registered in the UK.

This doesn't take into account the W204 saloon (2012-2014) and coupe (2012-2015).

So that's probably a total of 15,000+ cars sold in the UK with the M274 engine?

Not to mention the FWD variant M270.

I think that we would have heard of any common issues by now? The only one I am aware of is a failing thermostat (which unfortunately is an expensive repair on the M274).
yes! A friend had a bill for over £1000 for an A Service and t/stat replacement on a late 204 with the M274 engine. Glad mine went under warranty! Having said that I had it in 2 main dealers, one of them twice, before it was eventually sorted. A giveaway is that it throws an EML and erratic gauge reading when its duff.

Ernie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom