2015 E220 Estate Auto (S212) Rear Disc Removal Help Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hectors Dad

Car
E220
Greeting All,
I would like to dip into the cumalitve knowledge banks for some help please.

Last week I had the "Check brake wear" warning come on and so duly had a quick look and ordered a set of MB rear pads from our friendly Newcastle dealer.

When fitting them (an easy job by the way) I noticed the disc were showing signs of their 50K miles and so duly ordered a new pair from the same dealer.

So today I attempt the job and find I can't get the discs off the hub!

I have removed the Torx set screw and given it a fair pounding with a soft faced hammer to try and brake any friction / rust seal but it just wont budge.

Having Googled it it would appear that I may have to loosen the ebrake adjuster which is inside the hub and so to my problem.

With the car in park and without the handbrake applied, I can't spin the disc to get to the internal adjustment wheel. I presume "The Car" applies it as standard?

So do I put in Neutral when I stop and chock the front wheels so that the rear discs can spin or am I missing something REALLY obvious.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Regards,

HD

Make sure the park brake is off, turn the disc until you can get a tool to unwind the knurled adjuster, bash the disc off after releasing the small locating screw.
You dont want to be trying to knock the disc off the hub if you cant turn it, you WILL damage the park brake shoes / mechanism.

As above slacken off the brake shoes inside the hub.

And yes the car must also be in neutral.

Make sure the park brake is off, turn the disc until you can get a tool to unwind the knurled adjuster, bash the disc off after releasing the small locating screw.
You dont want to be trying to knock the disc off the hub if you cant turn it, you WILL damage the park brake shoes / mechanism.
The parking brake in the car ISN'T on (as in I haven't set it) but I still can't rotate the disc to get to the adjuster.

Any other ideas.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

As above slacken off the brake shoes inside the hub.

And yes the car must also be in neutral.
As it's an auto I believe that when I switch it off it automatically puts it in park - so how do I make it stay in neutral when it's switched off and on axle stands please?

If you cant turn the hub / disc then it's the park brake holding it or it's in Park.

It's a manual handbrake on them so it must still be in park? Select neutral.

As above, check the shoes.

Also, you really do need to bash the hell out of it.

It's a manual handbrake on them so it must still be in park? Select neutral.

As above, check the shoes.

Also, you really do need to bash the hell out of it.
Thanks for the input but, as I said above, I think that even if I put it in neutral, the car automatically puts it in Park when I switch it off and I do T want to leave the car in neutral, running whilst I jack it up.

Thanks for the input but, as I said above, I think that even if I put it in neutral, the car automatically puts it in Park when I switch it off and I do T want to leave the car in neutral, running whilst I jack it up.

If it isn't in neutral how are you going to turn the hub to access the brake adjuster on each hub?

So put it in neutral, parking brake off, stop the engine, key still in, then disconnect the battery and remove the key. It'll be left in neutral with the parking brake off. You can now rotate the hub to get to the slacken sprocket on the parking brake shoes.

If it isn't in neutral how are you going to turn the hub to access the brake adjuster on each hub?
Excellent question - the exact same one I asked for help with.

So put it in neutral, parking brake off, stop the engine, key still in, then disconnect the battery and remove the key. It'll be left in neutral with the parking brake off. You can now rotate the hub to get to the slacken sprocket on the parking brake shoes.
Thank you, that sounds like it would work.

Appreciate your help.

HD.

I would be wary of disconnecting the battery for fear of losing codes and settings. I may be wrong but its just a thought.

I would be wary of disconnecting the battery for fear of losing codes and settings. I may be wrong but its just a thought.
Thanks Gerald,
I had the battery disconnected umpteen times when I was doing my steering wheel conversion and it would appear everything is coded to the car. Only thing I had to reset was the electric windows auto close and wing mirror folding option - good pre-empt though.

I've disconnected my battery several times. Even for days, while doing my ESL. Nothing changed, all settings and even radio presets were fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom