2015 E220 & Millers- Diesel Power Eco Max

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MESSIAH

Car
E220d AMG Line (2017) V220d AMG Line (2018)
Hi,

Is it a good idea to start using this with every tankful on a 2015 car?

Just want to keep the engine mint as car is used everyday and will cover around 25K a year.

If you suggest something else, please do let me know.

Thanks.

The manufacturers always tell you to never use any additives.

I would not bother with additives on a car under warranty.

Good point.

So when warranty ends. Is it a good to do so then? Reading on here some people swear by these additive products but most mention it's better to use as prevention rather than a cure.

Maybe it's better to just leave it alone and stick to regular servicing etc.

Good point.

So when warranty ends. Is it a good to do so then? Reading on here some people swear by these additive products but most mention it's better to use as prevention rather than a cure.

Maybe it's better to just leave it alone and stick to regular servicing etc.

I don't think there has ever been any scientific proof that additives actually work, but the manufacturers over the years have made us believe,
that adding chemicals in your fuel or oil can repair or make your engine better without the need of an expensive mechanic and replacement parts.

I've used the two Diesel Rhino & Millers Diesel and I've found both to be pretty good on the cleaning side of things but not on performance i.e BHP My C320CDi was pretty lumpy when I got it, and now after using the Millers (Easiest to hand) is as smooth as.. I guess because mine had only done 8k between MOT's it was all short hops.. but now it appears to be better and mpg is up marginally...1-2 mpg. But again for the naysayers etc Its only MY opinion..

On the Millers - if you look on the Ford ST forums on the 220Cdi Diesels it developed bad starting many used the above and found that after a couple of tankfuls it had cleared the bad starting and removed "varnishing" of the camshaft sensor.. but again its only what they say or found....

I had this done on another vehicle with a Merc engine and the difference in performance all round was very good.. its a lot more costlier but it was very good, the diesel oil stays cleaner for longer ...

https://www.terraclean.co.uk/how-terraclean-works

It was a Jeep 2.7CRD with the Sprinter engine in it.. it had FSH and 130k on the clock. Noticeably the engine was quieter, its pick was quicker and it pulled smoother.. not as rough for a 5 pot...

I wouldn't bother.

My E220Cdi is now at 135k, 3 years old. I run it on standard cheap tesco diesel, serviced on time at main dealers.

It runs as good, if not better than the day I got it.

I dont see any need for additives, running mine for 40k a year for over 3 years now without issues at all.

Its still quiet, quick and does 58mpg on a run. Sounds better than my mates 12 month old 10k BMW 320d too!

I'd personally use Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate Diesel every 3 months or so (put in a full tank) as this will keep the internals clean and in good condition. Also, its a good idea to stick to good fuel stations like Shell or BP as their fuels tend to be better quality I think.

Rest, there is not much more that can be done to keep engines in optimal working order as long as they are serviced routinely with the correct people. If something is going to happen, it'll happen no matter how hard we try to avoid/prevent ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MBClub UK

I use the millers in my 350cdi and i find it does sound quieter than it was before i used it. I buy it in 5litres at a time from opie oils

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Additives to oil or fuel have been proven time after time to do nothing for an engine, its your driving style that matters.

Cars used on constant short journeys will always prove to be more "gummed" up than those used consistently on longer journeys......

This is like the K & N filter question where people ask if they are worth fitting.....

The answer to both is that they do nothing, except make people waste money on these pointless products......

Additives to oil or fuel have been proven time after time to do nothing for an engine, its your driving style that matters.

Cars used on constant short journeys will always prove to be more "gummed" up than those used consistently on longer journeys......

This is like the K & N filter question where people ask if they are worth fitting.....

The answer to both is that they do nothing, except make people waste money on these pointless products......

Interesting you should say that--- its as if the diesel that comes out of the pumps is somehow drawn from a sacred well of diesel purity instead of being a complex mixture of fuel and additives from the fuel supplier. In the case of cetane enhancers the operative additive is 2 EHN --ethyl hexyl nitrate which is one of the ingredients of Millers diesel ecomax. So basically Millers are just boosting the additive content [ already there] from the fuel manufacturer. I would not recommend using it with the idea of increased fuel mileage but as a fuel enhancer raising supermarket fuel up to premium diesel performance in terms of cetane rating and keeping your fuel system clean. For those who want to DIY their cetane rating you can buy 2EHN on t'internet and brew your own fuel.
2-EHN Highest quality 99% pure 2-Ethyl-Hexyl Nitrate Cetane Booster 5 Litres | eBay
Just be careful its nasty stuff to handle without the right dispensing equipment and protective gear.
s-l1600.jpg

Interesting you should say that--- its as if the diesel that comes out of the pumps is somehow drawn from a sacred well of diesel purity instead of being a complex mixture of fuel and additives from the fuel supplier. In the case of cetane enhancers the operative additive is 2 EHN --ethyl hexyl nitrate which is one of the ingredients of Millers diesel ecomax. So basically Millers are just boosting the additive content [ already there] from the fuel manufacturer. I would not recommend using it with the idea of increased fuel mileage but as a fuel enhancer raising supermarket fuel up to premium diesel performance in terms of cetane rating and keeping your fuel system clean. For those who want to DIY their cetane rating you can buy 2EHN on t'internet and brew your own fuel.
2-EHN Highest quality 99% pure 2-Ethyl-Hexyl Nitrate Cetane Booster 5 Litres | eBay
Just be careful its nasty stuff to handle without the right dispensing equipment and protective gear.
s-l1600.jpg

I buy this stuff (for bio). It works out about 1p a litre to DIY premium derv.

Well I have tried normal supermarket fuel, BP Ultimate, Shell diesel nitro, and sometimes with Redex, did I notice anything? yes, the fuel consumption gets worse. From 36mpg to 28mpg brim to brim. That's it.

I will probably use the more expensive stuff every few months for its cleaning properties but I wouldn't use it every tank thinking I will get a better engine response or mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom