2015 E300 hybrid - unreliable ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sustanon250

Car
2013 Cayman & 2014 C63AMG & 2015 E63AMG estate
Test drove a 2015 E300 hybrid today (estate) and absolutely loved it , what a cracking car !!! It needs a B service so I popped into my local main dealer (Beaconsfield) and one of the salesmen told me to avoid them as they are VERY problematic !

I would love to get the opinions of you guys , because I would love to buy one !

I had a 2014 E300 from new, had a problem early on with the GPS aerial and a couple of recalls but no problems with the hybrid system.

Excellent cars but can be expensive I guess out of warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got a C300 Hybrid... had some issues with Engine Management Light... apparently Nox sensor in exhaust needed changing. Only had it since August ... hoping its not problematic!!

Cheers guys !

It's a toss up between the E300 or a BMW 335d xdrive estate .

Drove both today ; both amazing machines , both very different !!!!

Expected to prefer the beemer but I think the Merc edges it !

I've done 34000 miles in my e300 (it was 9 months old when I bought it with 9k on the clock so has 43k miles in total now). Appart from one odd event it has been entirely fault free. The event in question, hybrid was stuck on amber for entire journey, didn't charge or discharge battery for 45 miles. Then, coming off motorway car completely shut down, all electrics and engine off. Luckily It happened at about 30mph so plenty of force left in braking system for zero drama stop. I've read this has happened to one owner in lane three at 70mph plus. But that was over a year ago and no issues since.

Love the car, gliding silent round car parks is fun. I average just over 51 mpg overall but if I'm a saint I can get get high 60s doing the 53 mile commute to work (a roads and mostly motor way. Best ever was 74mpg over a 60 mile journey but that was drafting lorries the whole way just to see what it could do!

However, now the car is 2.5 years old I'm looking to replace it before merc warranty runs out as I've heard the repair bill if the battery goes can run to 9k!!! That's what I've read early warranty bills were when some people had trouble. Even if it's half that now I'd be quite vary as the electrics only give a mild assistance to the diesel engine but if the battery goes, the car can't be driven.

Hence looking at a new W213 220d which, after a 24 hour demo, also returned a smidge over 50mpg and that was letting the distronic plus so most of the driving (and harsh braking!). I'm sure I could improve that by better forward planning.

If you get a good warranty and like the car id recommend it. I also read recently that the facelift w212 is one of the most reliable cars for its age.

I've done 34000 miles in my e300 (it was 9 months old when I bought it with 9k on the clock so has 43k miles in total now). Appart from one odd event it has been entirely fault free. The event in question, hybrid was stuck on amber for entire journey, didn't charge or discharge battery for 45 miles. Then, coming off motorway car completely shut down, all electrics and engine off. Luckily It happened at about 30mph so plenty of force left in braking system for zero drama stop. I've read this has happened to one owner in lane three at 70mph plus. But that was over a year ago and no issues since.

Love the car, gliding silent round car parks is fun. I average just over 51 mpg overall but if I'm a saint I can get get high 60s doing the 53 mile commute to work (a roads and mostly motor way. Best ever was 74mpg over a 60 mile journey but that was drafting lorries the whole way just to see what it could do!

However, now the car is 2.5 years old I'm looking to replace it before merc warranty runs out as I've heard the repair bill if the battery goes can run to 9k!!! That's what I've read early warranty bills were when some people had trouble. Even if it's half that now I'd be quite vary as the electrics only give a mild assistance to the diesel engine but if the battery goes, the car can't be driven.

Hence looking at a new W213 220d which, after a 24 hour demo, also returned a smidge over 50mpg and that was letting the distronic plus so most of the driving (and harsh braking!). I'm sure I could improve that by better forward planning.

If you get a good warranty and like the car id recommend it. I also read recently that the facelift w212 is one of the most reliable cars for its age.

Thanks for your feedback !

I have put a deposit on a very high spec 2014 E300 with 11k miles .

Can't wait to pick it up , will go nicely with my 2014 C63 !

I've got a C300 Hybrid... had some issues with Engine Management Light... apparently Nox sensor in exhaust needed changing. Only had it since August ... hoping its not problematic!!
Is that the Adblue sensor? I had that go on my C300h after only 10,000 miles.

There is no adblue in the e300, there is a battery where the tank usually is on the e220. Nox sensors are in the exhaust near or in the manifold, at least they have been on cars I've had the courage to work on. Too many systems on a Mercedes for me to even consider approaching one with a spanner :rolleyes:

Be sure to scare people in car parks, it's the cars biggest party trick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom