2016 B180D W246 gear shifts and lagging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roy1G

Car
Mercedes C220
Hi

looking for some advice re my wife’s 2016 B180D, only had it a few months……

it lags quite badly in comfort mode, takes ages to start moving from stationary at lights etc

Initially I just accepted it’s a small 1.5 engine size so to just live with it!

slightly better in sports mode but there’s a lot of engine noise/stress and over reving up to around 3.5k before the gears actually change, and all you can hear is loud engine noise throughout, so sports mode is hardly used.

earlier today I’ve noticed, where you’re in the highest gear ie D7 and you slow down to stop, as the gears come down from D7 to D1, for each gear lowering there’s an over rev and the speedometer needle shoots up and down again, when all I’m doing is gently applying the brakes.

This now makes me think there’s clearly an issue.

It’s booked in with Mercedes on Tuesday but I have a feeling they may just say it’s all normal, when it clearly doesn’t seem as such.

I hope the above makes sense, I didn’t know how else to explain it, has anybody else had similar issues?

thanks

Cancel it .

If their Exentry / Star doesn't tell them a fault code then they'll say normal .

For the money they are going to charge , you can buy an iCarsoft diagnostic which also has a transmission section and you'll use it time and time again saving you money , it's a Mercedes... with a Renault engine .

There is always transmission adaption reset but then why did it get like that in the first place !

Setting off lag is probably drive by wire throttle pedal lag , we can address this when you're further forward with the transmission .

Cancel it .

If their Exentry / Star doesn't tell them a fault code then they'll say normal .

For the money they are going to charge , you can buy an iCarsoft diagnostic which also has a transmission section and you'll use it time and time again saving you money , it's a Mercedes... with a Renault engine .

There is always transmission adaption reset but then why did it get like that in the first place !

Setting off lag is probably drive by wire throttle pedal lag , we can address this when you're further forward with the transmission .
Thanks for the advice Mate……

its got the years warranty that’s why I’ve booked it in otherwise I’d never had done it!

It’s been a horrendous experience already with the main dealer I purchased from, it’s going another dealer tomorrow, will see what they say, cheers

Our 180 CDI (1.8 engine) is exactly the same. I’ve learned to compensate but it’s still a pain.

Was it like that when you test drove/bought it, or has it developed these symptoms since then? The reason I ask is that some of these dct autos, which I think the B180D is, can tend to be, or can feel to be, sluggish when pulling away.

Was it like that when you test drove/bought it, or has it developed these symptoms since then? The reason I ask is that some of these dct autos, which I think the B180D is, can tend to be, or can feel to be, sluggish when pulling away.

It could possibly have been there all along, we bought it in March when no test driving was allowed, had the 14 days to decide whether to keep or return, but after 6 days they took it back in for a few issues to rectify, but they kept it for a month! As mentioned it was a real bad experience even from a main mb dealer!
Then since having it back around mid April, it’s hardly been driven…..
Only recently when we’ve started journeys again it became more apparent.

so can’t really say for certain if this issue was already there or developed in the very short miles we did. The sluggish feeling we can live with, but the main concern is when slowing down as the gears lower the engine roars and speedometer needle shoots up

Our 180 CDI (1.8 engine) is exactly the same. I’ve learned to compensate but it’s still a pain.
It’s so surprising for a Mercedes, I regret not getting the bigger engine to be honest

Maybe a stupid question, but is it definitely the speedo 'jumping' up and down and not the rev counter?

Some dct transmissions are programmed to 'auto rev' when changing down, ie to match the higher revs that the lower gear requires, an attempt to replicate double de-clutching or sustained-rev down-change in a manual car, to provide a smoother gear change.

I haven't driven an auto B-class, so I'm not saying it is that, but could it be? Is there any reference to it in the handbook?

It could possibly have been there all along, we bought it in March when no test driving was allowed, had the 14 days to decide whether to keep or return, but after 6 days they took it back in for a few issues to rectify, but they kept it for a month! As mentioned it was a real bad experience even from a main mb dealer!
Then since having it back around mid April, it’s hardly been driven…..
Only recently when we’ve started journeys again it became more apparent.

so can’t really say for certain if this issue was already there or developed in the very short miles we did. The sluggish feeling we can live with, but the main concern is when slowing down as the gears lower the engine roars and speedometer needle shoots up
If you are slowing down how can the speedometer needle shoot up?

Did you mean the engine rev meter?

Maybe a stupid question, but is it definitely the speedo 'jumping' up and down and not the rev counter?

Some dct transmissions are programmed to 'auto rev' when changing down, ie to match the higher revs that the lower gear requires, an attempt to replicate double de-clutching or sustained-rev down-change in a manual car, to provide a smoother gear change.

I haven't driven an auto B-class, so I'm not saying it is that, but could it be? Is there any reference to it in the handbook?
Sorry my apologies, it is the rev counter I’m referring to, not the speedometer!

What you’ve stated actually makes sense, I’ve just dropped it off to the dealer, let’s see what they say, probably exactly what you’ve stated!

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom