2016 C220 diesel command system broken help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phobetty7

Car
C220 diesel premium plus amg line
I have a c220 diesel 2016 and the command system is malfunctioning! I’ve had the software update but this has not worked. It’s weird as sometimes it will randomly start working again and be okay for a few weeks then starts going faulty again, keeps rebooting. Now the radio plays but no screen , just comes on for a few seconds then goes off again. I believe replacing the unit is thousands! Can anyone suggest anything, has anyone had same problem who managed to get around this wittour paying a fortune? Any thoughts welcome.

Take it to MB dealer ask for a goodwill repair . Might be worth a try if it's not too high miles and serviced at dealers. An expensive electronic item should not fail at under 5 years old. My wife had a Smart more than a year out of warranty but low miles , serviced at MB where the media unit / SatNav failed and the cost for replacement was over £1500 plus labour , they replaced it as goodwill gesture. If you don't ask you will never know

Hi,
Software update? MB Dealer carry this out?
Did they scan the car for other faults, as there could be other faults with the car causing this my understanding is the CAN Network tells the Command unit to switch on and it sounds as if by you're Command is randomly re-booting it could be losing power.
What was the original fault with it before the software update?
Has the car got any other faults however small?

Take it to MB dealer ask for a goodwill repair . Might be worth a try if it's not too high miles and serviced at dealers. An expensive electronic item should not fail at under 5 years old. My wife had a Smart more than a year out of warranty but low miles , serviced at MB where the media unit / SatNav failed and the cost for replacement was over £1500 plus labour , they replaced it as goodwill gesture. If you don't ask you will never know
Thanks for your reply, the car has 70,000 miles on the clock but has full MB service history , will give it a go.

Hi,
Software update? MB Dealer carry this out?
Did they scan the car for other faults, as there could be other faults with the car causing this my understanding is the CAN Network tells the Command unit to switch on and it sounds as if by you're Command is randomly re-booting it could be losing power.
What was the original fault with it before the software update?
Has the car got any other faults however small?
Hi
Thanks for your reply, the software update was not carried out by an MB dealer, however they got the disc from Mercedes . The garage I took it to plugged the car into a diagnostic computer and no other faults came up . Maybe this diagnostic computer isn’t as specific as an MB one? I don’t know what the original fault was before the software update, they just said it needs an update. They’ve said I will need a new unit/ head unit whatever it is but it’s very expensive! Maybe I should take it to an MB dealer do you think for a diagnostic test or there is a place in Surrey called command online. Any thoughts? Thanks

Command Online will indeed diagnose the problem and have a fix, but with a full MBSH I would see what Mercedes say first.
Be prepared however for a diagnostic fee which won't be small.

Command Online will indeed diagnose the problem and have a fix, but with a full MBSH I would see what Mercedes say first.
Be prepared however for a diagnostic fee which won't be small.
Thanks, they both (command &MB) charge a diagnostic fee of over £100, I think like you say maybe go down the MB route first.

Currently MB dealers seem to be charging £160 for diagnostic testing. This is based on experience of dealers in both the NorthEast and Midlands. The charge is lowered or even dropped if they then do follow up repairs. Perhaps they don’t want to do all the diagnostic work and then have the customer go to a local garage to have things fixed.

It is not clear from the OP's post if it was the firmware that was updated (the operating system and navigation software), or the maps data.

It is not clear from the OP's post if it was the firmware that was updated (the operating system and navigation software), or the maps data.
Hi

It was the firmware that was updated I’m assuming as it took 4 hours to update, thanks.

Hi

It was the firmware that was updated I’m assuming as it took 4 hours to update, thanks.

Actually that sounds more like the maps data... the firmware itself is quite small and will usually take half-hour to one hour to update, including setting-up the car on STAR etc.

Unless they did the update 'over the air', I.e. using the car's built-in 3g connection, but that wouldn't be a very sensible thing to do if the garage has STAR with connection to MB.

How where you charged? The firmware is a free update, though the garage will charge for Labour (typically £50-£100). The maps are not free and require the purchase of a PIN code from MB (the cost of maps update is typically £100-£200).

Thanks, I don’t know, I wasn’t charged as it is a friend who owns the garage who are linked up to Mercedes . I will ask but I am taking it to a MB dealer for them to diagnose and pay the fee , I’m assuming they’ll be able to tell what has been done etc. And maybe get to the bottom of what is wrong with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom