2016 C350e- endless issues: no comeback?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wheeker

Car
C350e
I bought a 2016 C350e in late 2020 from an independent dealer in Northern Ireland & then imported it myself to Republic of Ireland (saving €€€). All the dealer offered at the time was a standard 3-month warranty. However in 2022 I have been plagued with issues: Air suspension compressor failed, auxiliary battery failed, starter motor failed & now a rear shock has failed. To-date I have been using an independent Merc mechanic to do all the work, not a main dealer & have spent a fortune:confused:. I presume I have absolutely no comeback at all with either the original seller or MB? Is there any way or indeed any point in contacting MB directly?

All those issues sound routine on a six year old car C350e.

Apart from the starter, nothing's specific to the hybrid.

What kind of mileage has it done at this point?

Six months after purchase you'd have no recourse to the dealer, let alone 20 months after 20 months.

What kind of fortune has it cost you so far?

All those issues sound routine on a six year old car C350e.

Apart from the starter, nothing's specific to the hybrid.

What kind of mileage has it done at this point?

Six months after purchase you'd have no recourse to the dealer, let alone 20 months after 20 months.

What kind of fortune has it cost you so far?

Hi Mike, yes I hear you & only starter motor would be specific to Hybrid. When I bought it in 2020 it had 87k miles, it now has 100k miles, not huge mileage IMHO . Yeah I suppose I knew I have no recourse- just venting! So far outlaid €2,500 & the rear shock will prob be another €800-€1,000. TBH I can't afford the shock at the moment, so will hang on & maybe even try to get a s/h part, though perhaps not a good idea with a wear & tear item like a shock. The only upside I do have is that I did save some money having imported it originally rather than buying in RoI.

I can see from your profile that you must be a big Merc fan. The thing is I do love driving it, when it is working properly, but the pleasure is a bit tainted now.......

Venting's good. I call it "shooting the breeze."

Those prices sound a bit warm for me, but I'm no expert on C class parts. (There1'll be someone along in a minute)

To maybe turn the knife, are you saying €900 to replace BOTH rear shock absorbers, or just one? Like tyres, it usually makes far more sense to do both than one on its own. (Sorry, but....)

I don't know what the annual warranty cost and claims excess is on a 60k mile C350e,, but I guess it wouldn't have worked out much cheaper than "self-insuring" once you take account of the claim excess and then the annual warranty cost. Again, I defer to those with that specific car as it slides close to 100k on the clock.

Venting's good. I call it "shooting the breeze."

Those prices sound a bit warm for me, but I'm no expert on C class parts. (There'll be someone along in a minute)

I don't know what the annual warranty cost and claims excess is on a 60k mile C350e,, but I guess it wouldn't have worked out much cheaper than "self-insuring" once you take account of the claim excess and then the annual warranty cost. Again, I defer to those with that specific car as it slides close to 100k on the clock.
I bought a 2016 C350e in late 2020 from an independent dealer in Northern Ireland & then imported it myself to Republic of Ireland (saving €€€). All the dealer offered at the time was a standard 3-month warranty. However in 2022 I have been plagued with issues: Air suspension compressor failed, auxiliary battery failed, starter motor failed & now a rear shock has failed. To-date I have been using an independent Merc mechanic to do all the work, not a main dealer & have spent a fortune:confused:. I presume I have absolutely no comeback at all with either the original seller or MB? Is there any way or indeed any point in contacting MB directly?
I hope you don't mind me asking- do you source the parts or do you leave that to your mechanic? Compressor £400 , starter £300, rear shock £400 - maybe less. The aux battery-was this the one in the boot or the one in the passenger compartment? It would take a bit of effort to the bills up to 2500 EUROS .

Sorry to hear of your trouble.

My son bought a cracking 2007 low mileage CLK350 Coupe and signed up to the useless part warranty available from the car dealer. Car was low mileage at sub 60k. The arguments getting stuff fixed that failed was too much but managed to get some recompense: x2 solenoids, thermostat and at 60k I’ve replaced front discs, pads, have rears ready and all solenoids.

Sorry to burst the bubble: 100k miles is a lot.

Unless it’s a Lexus LS400.

So a good engine will be fine. But the ancillaries, auxiliaries, suspension and consumables will or could need attention.

If you feel you have the basis of a good car it’s worth getting up to standard. Keep it.

I despair at where we are with standards and quality of cars and parts.

Last edited:
Whilst it may be financially bruising to pay for these repairs, they’re probably to be expected at this age and mileage. Unfortunately there will probably be more similar on the horizon, suspension parts (dampers and bushes especially) and engine/transmission mounts are likely to need replacement at around 100k miles.

I hope you don't mind me asking- do you source the parts or do you leave that to your mechanic? Compressor £400 , starter £300, rear shock £400 - maybe less. The aux battery-was this the one in the boot or the one in the passenger compartment? It would take a bit of effort to the bills up to 2500 EUROS .
The indie mechanic I use has had issues in past with customers sourcing bad parts, so was dead against it. So it was all MB parts until the starter motor, which I baulked at & he did source an OEM part at half the price. All costs are in €uro, so bear that in mind & incl labour & VAT (on holiday atm so don’t have breakdown to hand):
Compressor (MB) €1,200
Diagnostics, software updates & service (I provided oil & filters) €270
Aux Battery- in passenger compartment (MB) €400
Starter Motor (OEM) €600

Is it not air suspension on the c350e or is that part of the premier plus spec. ?

I have a c350e , i have spent over £2000 in 2 yrs ,this was unexpected but here go's ,4 premium tyres with 4 wheel tracking and a one wheel refurb / major service/minor service/gearbox service/replaced spring link /starter motor/master door window switch/new 12v battery(didn't need one but prevention as ball ache of a job) .currently drivers seat looking like its wearing out a bit .
starter motor common (think how many times it comes on/off) all c350e's come with airmatic (can be as simple as the connector plug and you can get service kit for the pump for £20)

I took out 3 years warranty and a service pack when I bought my 2018 model, don't think that there any cars these days that are cheap to repair. Since stop/start was fitted to cars the sale of starter motors have gone through the roof and i don't think they save much on emissions etc just makes the starter have to work overtime. If you buy a Mercedes you know that repairs costs are going to be high, if you didn't take that into consideration prior to buy one you didn't do your homework

I bought c350e in April 2021. Since then
1. aux battery failed
2. gives less than 7 miles range per recharge
3. leak in shock absorber

Its reading stuff like this, and the scary prices quoted, that makes me (the Mrs A with her AClass) very happy to be an ex car mechanic. Except paint I DIY everything....so lots of money to be saved. Just got to get reasonable quality parts from somewhere that preferably does not have "PRC" on the box! Its not that difficult.....most car techs (most are just fitters these days....the days of proper car mechanics that actually fixed stuff rather than threw it in the bin and fitted new are long gone) are not Mensa members or brain surgeons ....if they can do it so can you!
Almost every year my friend says that he's just put the car through the MOT...."only £500 (or whatever) to get it through this year!!" and usually something simple. I could afford to pay others to do the work on my cars (much as I would hate it on principle!).....but to be honest most places have a "that'll do" attitude. I may take longer to do repairs etc on my drive but I know they have been done as well if not better than the dealers (main or local....don't fall into the "main dealers are better" trap....its main dealers "are more expensive"...that's all! If its not in warranty avoid them.....and that coming from an ex main dealer car salesman!!!
Also there is something very satisfying when you fire up that car and the fault light or knock is gone and you can think "I did that and its done right"! I did my ALFA cambelt the other day....runs like new. One of my younger neighbours has just started a car maintenance course at the local college. He does not want to be doing cambelts and head gaskets etc....just wants to save a few quid and do oil changes, brake pads etc. He started helping me servicing cars (little side line that I've just stopped....no time) and watched me do that cambelt and he picks it up quickly so I'm sure he will be fine a college.

Back to the OP....sorry you have had these issues.....but as said, most of them are not unexpected on a 100k miles car.....Mercedes or not.....get you spanners out, for the small jobs at least, and count the saving!

I despair at where we are with standards and quality of cars and parts.
Ah, for the good old days when we scrapped motors at a decade old - because of rust, parts availability, or lack of expertise or ability to repair the figging things.

We do that with many cars now.......any if you go back just a bit older than ten years you can include Mercs in the rust issues too! No matter how good you build a car TODAY the electronics will take the car down long before engine failure or corrosion. Too complicated.....no software after 5 years....no ECUs, screens or PCBs after 10. Older more analogue cars will be running long after the digital generation cars have been scrapped.......and long as you can keep the tin worm at bay!.....and you can fix most issues with a hammer and some wire offcuts!

Recently put my wife’s 54 plate Rav 4 in for its mot - passed with no advisories, total servicing cost this year just under £200 including cost of 4 wheel tracking. Low cost motoring at its best.

Aux Battery- in passenger compartment (MB) €400
Is there something special about the aux battery ?

Recently put my wife’s 54 plate Rav 4 in for its mot - passed with no advisories, total servicing cost this year just under £200 including cost of 4 wheel tracking. Low cost motoring at its best.
Just had the wife's B200 MOT'd on Friday, no advisories at all. Its had an oil and filter change this year and not another penny spent on it.
I even used Mannol synthetic oil at £22.50 for 5 litres.

I have a c350e , i have spent over £2000 in 2 yrs ,this was unexpected but here go's ,4 premium tyres with 4 wheel tracking and a one wheel refurb / major service/minor service/gearbox service/replaced spring link /starter motor/master door window switch/new 12v battery(didn't need one but prevention as ball ache of a job) .currently drivers seat looking like its wearing out a bit .
starter motor common (think how many times it comes on/off) all c350e's come with airmatic (can be as simple as the connector plug and you can get service kit for the pump for £20)
Tyres, tracking, wheel refurbish and two services were "unexpected" and a battery was changed but not needed.

How much of the £2000 in 2 years did these items account for? 🤔

I've had a number of Toyota and Lexus cars in the family over the last 20 years; if your main requirement is reliability then look no further. They don't appear to suffer serious rust issues either. Mine have all been petrol, not so sure the diesels are quite as good.

I've had a number of Toyota and Lexus cars in the family over the last 20 years; if your main requirement is reliability then look no further. They don't appear to suffer serious rust issues either. Mine have all been petrol, not so sure the diesels are quite as good.

We bought a 1997 Toyota Previa brand new, drove it for 23 years without a single fault (actually, the coolant expansion bottle became brittle and needed replacing after 20 years). In its last years, the car was parked in a village near a beach, and still never had any rust. We eventually scrapped it because we had no further use for it. But I suspect it would have run for a few more years otherwise.

Then we had a 2010 Kia Soul II Diesel for 5 years, it was eventually totalled when someone crashed into it while it was parked in the street overnight. The only fault it ever had was a leak from the automatic transmission pan that was repaired under the very-generous 7 years warranty, but given that it happened after the dealer replaced the ATF, I suspect that it wasn't the factory's fault in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom