2016 C63 advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevie1982

Car
2014 C63 AMG
I've been away from AMG ownership for almost 5 years, had to sell my 2014 C63 due to a change of work and income so it was a needs must situation.

Now I'm looking to get back into the fold and a W205 C63 is and has been on the list for a while.

I've been reading plenty of reviews, forum posts etc yet have a few things I'd be grateful for some honest feedback.

My initial thoughts were an estate as who doesn't love a fast estate or a coupe as I think they look more purposeful over a saloon, yet I've seen a few S saloons at a similar price as a non S estate/coupe so is the S worth the extra investment other than pub bragging rights and other than the power increase, electronic Diff what are the additions over the Non S?

Other than the sports exhaust what are peoples thoughts on other "must" have options or packs?

Thanks in adavce

The e-diff does help out power down, but if you have PS4S tyres all round you won’t struggle to put the power down.

For me there no real “must have” options however I do like heads up display (even though I don’t have it) and I do like the alloys I have (19” and the center cap covers the bolts)

The estates are lovely can’t go wrong, good luck

I've been away from AMG ownership for almost 5 years, had to sell my 2014 C63 due to a change of work and income so it was a needs must situation.

Now I'm looking to get back into the fold and a W205 C63 is and has been on the list for a while.

I've been reading plenty of reviews, forum posts etc yet have a few things I'd be grateful for some honest feedback.

My initial thoughts were an estate as who doesn't love a fast estate or a coupe as I think they look more purposeful over a saloon, yet I've seen a few S saloons at a similar price as a non S estate/coupe so is the S worth the extra investment other than pub bragging rights and other than the power increase, electronic Diff what are the additions over the Non S?

Other than the sports exhaust what are peoples thoughts on other "must" have options or packs?

Thanks in adavce
Current 'S' saloon owner here, speaking entirely biasedly I would say get one - you get the electronic diff, bigger brakes, upgraded seats, active engine mounts and of course more power. My way of thinking when buying cars (any car) is get the best one I can afford with the most bits at the time, there is absolutely no reason not to get an 'S' in my opinion.

You'll hear mixed opinions over the seats - try them, you might find (as I and many other did) that you prefer the support over the standard items, plus they look much more special and mark the car out (my opinion of course).

The other must have option is the pan roof, outside of that, probably not much else in my opinion, unless you like lots of electronic aids.

Had mine since July 2020, aside from getting some missed service items done (thanks to the previous owner not bothering) i've had very little actually cost me any money.

They are both great cars. Mild remap gives loads more power than the S, so less of a selling point. I’ve never seen a problem with the Drexler diff in the non S, but heard of a few issues with the e diff. Smaller discs are cheaper too…
Personal choice, but neither is the wrong choice.

You may well prefer your 204.

They are both great cars. Mild remap gives loads more power than the S, so less of a selling point. I’ve never seen a problem with the Drexler diff in the non S, but heard of a few issues with the e diff. Smaller discs are cheaper too…
Personal choice, but neither is the wrong choice.
As a non "S" saloon owner I echo the comments above. I also have 18" wheels which mean a slightly more comfortable ride and cheaper tyres as well (and you will appreciate this over time!!). Mine has an MSL map and the power is "plenty".

Having said that, I would probably have chosen an S when I bought mine had there been one available at my local dealer ....

The power difference is minimal my mate has a saloon S and hardly no difference. If your thinking about mapping the car both engines are identical and produce same power after a map

My instructor at MB World advised that the mechanical diff on the non-S is actually better than the e-diff - you probably need to be a pretty skilled driver to really notice the difference.

I think it really comes down to looks. If you like bucket seats and red callipers then go for the S. if you prefer the slightly more subtle look, the non-S is the way to go.

Thanks for all the advice, I know we don't buy these cars for fuel economy lol yet what real world figures are you seeing S or Non S

Thanks for all the advice, I know we don't buy these cars for fuel economy lol yet what real world figures are you seeing S or Non S
My S regularly returns ~30mpg when driven 'gently' (i.e constant speed, within limits and no overtaking), best was 33.1mpg on a motorway run. Worst i've seen in regular use is 9mpg, on my occasional commute of 8 miles during the winter.

Real world, paying no attention to the figures and just driving the thing, I average about 24mpg overall.

The e-diff does help out power down, but if you have PS4S tyres all round you won’t struggle to put the power down.

For me there no real “must have” options however I do like heads up display (even though I don’t have it) and I do like the alloys I have (19” and the center cap covers the bolts)

The estates are lovely can’t go wrong, good luck

I’ve not long fitted those tyres. I find the grip pretty amazing! Coming from pilot super sport is a world of difference, my car as almost dangerous to drive. Not now!

17.4 in the stop start driving that is Jersey.
Not been away yet but I fully expect to add 10mpg to that at fast motorway speeds….

Mpg S and non S will be same

My Non S averages 20 mpg per tank and I live in London if I do a lot of motorway miles it’s better. Best I got was 33.4 mpg on a tank that’s when I picked the AMG up

If I do mixed driving I get around 27-28 mpg but because of traffic in London tank wise it’s usually 20-22 mpg

34mpg - long motorway run
26mpg - average including a few track days
Low 20s - around town

S
Mpg S and non S will be same

My Non S averages 20 mpg per tank and I live in London if I do a lot of motorway miles it’s better. Best I got was 33.4 mpg on a tank that’s when I picked the AMG up

If I do mixed driving I get around 27-28 mpg but because of traffic in London tank wise it’s usually 20-22 mpg
Same with me. Thirsty, but less thirsty than my W204, by around 25-30% I’d say.

Echo the comment about MPS4Ss. Didn’t break traction even in January damp, and that’s with the Brabus. Amazing tyres for this car.

S

Same with me. Thirsty, but less thirsty than my W204, by around 25-30% I’d say.

Echo the comment about MPS4Ss. Didn’t break traction even in January damp, and that’s with the Brabus. Amazing tyres for this car.
Huge upgrade over the Super Sport

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom