2016 E63 v 2020 E300d

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S2000Paul

Car
E63 AMG
So mine is back at Mercedes for a misfire - Coil pack on Cylinder 7 replaced a few months ago and similar issue now...

However it's fixed they reckon - Engine management software upgrade...hmmm...we'll see. Left it there as MOBILO lent me the E300D for 5 days so I thought I'd make use of it - rack up some cheap miles...

So this isn't a performance speed comparison...LOL

Its the new model interior, screens, ambient lighting and lack of short cut buttons...hate them all! Enough to put me off a 2019 E63 that my local dealer wants to loan to me...

I presume you can turn off some stuff around the ridiculous mood lighting distracting you at night...but everything else grated...

Most of all the MPG..

I do a 25 mile trip to my Nanas every Sunday - same limits, speed cameras, urban etc...and get 21 mpg in the E63 sticking to within 5% of every limit every time but able to get to that point very quickly.. :D

Today in the E300d....24.5mpg....what's that about!!! 5000 miles on the E300d

This sounds like just the type of thing some of my pals with V8’s & V12’s say to their mrs! 🤣

Surprised at the mpg, the official figures are decent for a large saloon.

• WLTP Combined 53.3 mpg (5.3)
  • WLTP Low 39.23 mpg (7.2)
  • WLTP Medium 50.44 mpg (5.6)
  • WLTP High 62.77 mpg (4.5)
  • WLTP Extra High 55.39 mpg (5.1

You're telling me!

Day before at low speeds rather than 70 it ended up in the low 30's, still poor.

Car does have 20inch wheels on...

Or just another pointless gimmick, depending on whether you like it or not? Cars are so good nowadays, the manufacturers are reduced to plugging gimmicks as USPs, and don't get me started on 'stuck-on iPad' dashes...

Or just another pointless gimmick, depending on whether you like it or not? Cars are so good nowadays, the manufacturers are reduced to plugging gimmicks as USPs, and don't get me started on 'stuck-on iPad' dashes...
I suppose ambient lighting is a gimmick, and doesn't do anything to the actual driving or performance or anything for the car, but just looks so bl00dy cool :cool: and Merc ambient lighting is particularly good. :)👍

I’ve got favourites on my 69 plate E class. Used to program programme muting voice direction from the sat nav which you can’t permanently turn off

So mine is back at Mercedes for a misfire - Coil pack on Cylinder 7 replaced a few months ago and similar issue now...

However it's fixed they reckon - Engine management software upgrade...hmmm...we'll see. Left it there as MOBILO lent me the E300D for 5 days so I thought I'd make use of it - rack up some cheap miles...

So this isn't a performance speed comparison...LOL

Its the new model interior, screens, ambient lighting and lack of short cut buttons...hate them all! Enough to put me off a 2019 E63 that my local dealer wants to loan to me...

I presume you can turn off some stuff around the ridiculous mood lighting distracting you at night...but everything else grated...

Most of all the MPG..

I do a 25 mile trip to my Nanas every Sunday - same limits, speed cameras, urban etc...and get 21 mpg in the E63 sticking to within 5% of every limit every time but able to get to that point very quickly.. :D

Today in the E300d....24.5mpg....what's that about!!! 5000 miles on the E300d
Hmmmm

I had a MY15 E63, and now a MY19 E63.
The interior of the MY19 car is by far the nicer place to be compared to the MY15 car.
Yes, perhaps the mood lighting isn't for everyone, and if so you can turn it off, but I quite like like it personally.

Lack of short cut buttons, I think I'd need you to define that a bit more for me.
Perhaps the newer E300 interior is very different to my car, but I can't imagine there being a huge amount of difference.

That's terrible fuel consumption! My Golf GT TD does 26-30 in city, approx 38 mixed and 50+ on motorway alone!

Where as my M156 does 13/18/22...

Genuinely surprised by the poor fuel consumptionon of the E300D, next time the wife has a go about fuel consumption, I'll suggest we buy a E300D and then refer to this thread for MPG figures.

Great example of why we must own big engines/AyyyMG. :D

Hmmmm

I had a MY15 E63, and now a MY19 E63.
The interior of the MY19 car is by far the nicer place to be compared to the MY15 car.
Yes, perhaps the mood lighting isn't for everyone, and if so you can turn it off, but I quite like like it personally.

Lack of short cut buttons, I think I'd need you to define that a bit more for me.
Perhaps the newer E300 interior is very different to my car, but I can't imagine there being a huge amount of difference.
Short Cut buttons..

Here's one - Media - E300D next track, back a track, or two or three - 2016 push a button on my dashboard..once, twice, three..either way...

E300D, find little pip on touchpad, press then reach over it for dial and turn, wait half hour (okay 2 seconds) for next track...dear me.. .wait what's happened now, sleeve has slightly touched the touchpad and jumped to Sat Nav / something else,,, - FFS

I'm sure it will come naturally- but as a first impression - pi55 poor.

Another one - Cruise control - E300- little pips on steering wheel - hit resume by accident instead of setting at a lower speed.. the 'set' alongside....dangerous IMHO

Mine - lovely lever - up set, up again to increase, down to reduce setting, push away to turn off, pull to go to set point you cancelled - or lift to set new speed...

Mood lighting -I presumed you could turn it off,,

As far as I can see the issues you've mentioned above are just that you aren't used to the newer way of operating them particular function. It is all a matter of getting used to the newer model. It's no different to swapping to a different brand.
I've just switched from a W213 to a S204 and for a short while I found that I was doing the same as you explained with the cruise control, it's just what you get used too.
While in a 213 the radio channels and next track can simply be toggled by scrolling the steering wheel thumb trackpad, it doesn't have to be as drawn out as you made it and no sleeves get in the way.
Ambient lighting IMO is a great addition, 64 different colours to choose from and they can be dimmed or turned off.
I guess you just didn't gel with the newer technology. You are entitled to your opinions, but I'm quite sure Mercedes didn't spend all of that money on R&D to make the 213 worse than the previous generation.

Agree with the above except I'm not sure you can beat the old telephone pad of numbers/letters in the 204, unless the voice input is accurate enough in the 213?

Agree with the above except I'm not sure you can beat the old telephone pad of numbers/letters in the 204, unless the voice input is accurate enough in the 213?
Voice recognition is great in the latest generation cars, especially with MBUX.

Short Cut buttons..

Here's one - Media - E300D next track, back a track, or two or three - 2016 push a button on my dashboard..once, twice, three..either way...

E300D, find little pip on touchpad, press then reach over it for dial and turn, wait half hour (okay 2 seconds) for next track...dear me.. .wait what's happened now, sleeve has slightly touched the touchpad and jumped to Sat Nav / something else,,, - FFS

Another one - Cruise control - E300- little pips on steering wheel - hit resume by accident instead of setting at a lower speed.. the 'set' alongside....dangerous IMHO

Mine - lovely lever - up set, up again to increase, down to reduce setting, push away to turn off, pull to go to set point you cancelled - or lift to set new speed...

As already suggested, you’re not yet used to the new interface - when the time comes to upgrade from your current car you will quickly adapt.

I'm sure Billions spent on R and D over years makes sense when the first impressions are as I found...

Have no doubt however I would find the same in other brands...except maybe Ferrari, but I'm not sure I can get a weekend test drive from the dealer local to me.....and a £4 win on Euromillions last night is not getting me closer to a 488 pista.

Maybe if the E300d dazzled with better mpg it would have distracted me ..lol.

I'm hoping an extended test drive over a weekend in the new E63 will..

Or at least work out how to fix the ambient lighting to one colour.. ;-)

I'm sure Billions spent on R and D over years makes sense when the first impressions are as I found...

Have no doubt however I would find the same in other brands...except maybe Ferrari, but I'm not sure I can get a weekend test drive from the dealer local to me.....and a £4 win on Euromillions last night is not getting me closer to a 488 pista.

Maybe if the E300d dazzled with better mpg it would have distracted me ..lol.

I'm hoping an extended test drive over a weekend in the new E63 will..

Hopefully you will be far too distracted by the might of the E63 to worry about some interior lights or media settings:thumb:

Ha, you have it on constant colour change then, no wonder you don't like it.
There will be a multi colour check box that's been selected, untick that, and you will have the colour options/brightness all in the same place.
Short Cut buttons..

Next track - just talk to it, or use the little track pad on the steering wheel as mentioned.

The voice recognition in the W213 I find is really good, and I use it all the time, especially selecting DAB radio stations and calling people on the phone

And finally, you can change a load of the setting(including ambient lighting) via the Mercedes Me app

I think 23 Romeo Tango has is summed up very well, you just need to learn how to use the new technology. Once you do that, I'm certain your opinion will definitely change.

I still stand by my claim, the W213 E63 interior is by a long way, a far nicer place to be than the W212 E63.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom