2016 W205/S205 Upgraded screen with Apple CarPlay brilliant offer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mightynimrod

Car
2016 S205 220d AMG Line Premium Plus
Hi fellas,

So we purchased our 2016 S205 AMG Line Premium Plus on Wednesday and me the wife and I want CarPlay in the car.
Ive been asking and looking around since buying and have come to the conclusion that upgrading the screen is the most sensible option rather than just fit a unit with the existing screen That nearly costs as much.

So I’ve found a company that are doing the 12” screen upgrade for the same price as the 10.25” with fitting for £550 all in (Please see link below)
I guess we all know he benefits of having the android system installed with all of its functionality integrated with the NTG5 setup in the car, this looks like a fantastic offer to me so thought I’d share.

Im getting ours done once we get back from holiday 😎

Hi fellas,

So we purchased our 2016 S205 AMG Line Premium Plus on Wednesday and me the wife and I want CarPlay in the car.
Ive been asking and looking around since buying and have come to the conclusion that upgrading the screen is the most sensible option rather than just fit a unit with the existing screen That nearly costs as much.

So I’ve found a company that are doing the 12” screen upgrade for the same price as the 10.25” with fitting for £550 all in (Please see link below)
I guess we all know he benefits of having the android system installed with all of its functionality integrated with the NTG5 setup in the car, this looks like a fantastic offer to me so thought I’d share.

Im getting ours done once we get back from holiday 😎
Good luck.....

Here is a quote from a customer of ours today;

'
Around 18 months ago I had a Chinese 10.25” Android 10 screen fitted, which included
Apple CarPlay, unfortunately the screen never worked particularly well & was rather
unreliable & painfully slow to boot up when switched on. Sadly the screen died just
a month or two after the warranty expired & I\'ve now removed it from the car &
refitted the original much smaller screen & vowed never to buy cheap Chinese “tacky
Tech” again.'

You really would be better off having the Integrated automotive Apple CarPlay / Android Auto unit fitted to your existing system.

Good luck.....

Here is a quote from a customer of ours today;

'
Around 18 months ago I had a Chinese 10.25” Android 10 screen fitted, which included
Apple CarPlay, unfortunately the screen never worked particularly well & was rather
unreliable & painfully slow to boot up when switched on. Sadly the screen died just
a month or two after the warranty expired & I\'ve now removed it from the car &
refitted the original much smaller screen & vowed never to buy cheap Chinese “tacky
Tech” again.'

You really would be better off having the Integrated automotive Apple CarPlay / Android Auto unit fitted to your existing system.
Even Rolls Royce have failures.

I’ll bet there are plenty of people who have upgraded with no issues.
Unfortunate that you did so im not dismissing it.

Whatever you do, make sure that CarPlay is wireless. I have it on a Pioneer unit and have use it wirelessly for a good couple of years which is brilliant. Recently did an upgrade to the Mustang and the unit only supported wired CarPlay (whilst I appreciate this is a 1st world problem), it was infuriating! I then bought a wireless unit for it so that it works in the way I want it to. The point to bear in mind here is that I would look carefully at the cost/options to work out the best value for money on this.

I did buy a cheap Chinese unit for out W163 ML last year, that was a wired-only unit and it regularly dropped the connection/rebooted etc. It was annoying but also it was £50 including delivery so I accepted it for what it was, cheap tat.

Some of these Android units are very good and some have irritating limitations. My friend had one in a Chrysler 300C, it looked good, worked well etc. but it always showed the wrong side doors being open because there was no option to change to RHD so it took the CANBUS signal (I guess) as "Driver Door" when it was the passenger door that was open. Not a huge problem but an annoyance.

I got the a module instead of changing the screen, keeps all the original menu and just has a hidden menu for the applecar play. Much better in my opinion than them android screens

Did you go ahead with this please OP?
I have seen a lot of bad press regarding some screens.
Found this when I was looking but am currently undecided on whether it’s worth the spend or not.
Don’t know anything about these guys but looks very reasonable compared to the original link.

Did you go ahead with this please OP?
I have seen a lot of bad press regarding some screens.
Found this when I was looking but am currently undecided on whether it’s worth the spend or not.
Don’t know anything about these guys but looks very reasonable compared to the original link.

I did consider this but the applecarplay module just worked out better for me, keeping the original look and less to go wrong

I did consider this but the applecarplay module just worked out better for me, keeping the original look and less to go wrong
Can I ask which box you got and from where please?
Did you fit yourself or have it fitted by the supplier?
Thanks for the feedback both here and the other thread.
👍🏼

Can I ask which box you got and from where please?
Did you fit yourself or have it fitted by the supplier?
Thanks for the feedback both here and the other thread.
👍🏼
I got it from here

I fitted it myself dead simple, watched a couple of YouTube clips to help.

As advice I found CarPlay and Android Auto with the wireless feature a bit slow if you use a cable instead it’s perfect 👍🏽.
I used this to have the usb port available in my arm rest and from their you can use your original cable supplied with phone (if it’s usb C skip link and check next link)

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom